• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I was wondering what I should look for or stay away from buying a M1 Garand. Just want to shoot not a collectors piece. I would like to know what a decent price for a decent Garand would be.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you qualify for the CMP that is the way to go! I would make the trip to the CMP store then you could actually pick out the rifle you want otherwise its just luck of the draw. I ordered one a couple years ago and got a Springfield 5 million serial number gun that looked like it was shot very little if at all. Only problem with the Garand is they are getting really expensive to feed. But CMP has ammo too and its the cheapest I've seen around. You just have to be patient with them like a couple months patient.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    For a shooter, I'd look for a good bore and a smooth action. Nearly everything else on a Garand can be easily tweaked for accuracy, with many of the tweaks capable of being performed by a reasonably skilled DIYer.

Back in the 80's, South Korea released a few boatloads of surplus Garands they'd bought from us back in the 60's. I bought a number of these arsenal-refinished rifles in the $250 range and never found one that I couldn't easily get shooting in the 2-1/2" range at 100 yards. If it's got a good bore, you've at least got a chance of getting good groups out of it. If the action feels smooth, you probably don't have any binding going on.

Techniques for accurizing the Garand are quite standardized and essentially public knowledge at this point. Whatever the rifle is doing or not doing, many knowledgable individuals have seen it and fixed it before and most are happy to share that knowledge.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was wondering what I should look for or stay away from buying a M1 Garand.

A little off topic here, but if you're new to shooting M1s, keep an eye on your thumb or you'll find out soon what "M1 Thumb" refers to.

Here's the M1 I picked up a few years back. Plan to pass it on to my oldest son when it's time.
    fullcase.jpg

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    A related post I made on another thread.

I have purchased 2 M1 Garands from the CMP a service grade Springfield (SA) and a correct grade Harrington & Richardson (HRA). I elected to drive down to the Alabama store to hand pick my rifles though there is also a store at Camp Perry in Ohio. You can also mail order a rifle and it will be delivered to your house. There are some requirement to be eligible to purchase from them but most people should have any trouble.

Its well worth he effort to qualify and take a trip to one of the stores if you can.

Here are some pics from my trip in January last year. I believe their current inventory isn't as good right now since they have sold out of some grades.

6763690849_e35810fec4_b.jpg

6763691647_223066aa4a_b.jpg

6763691105_0d662f63af_b.jpg

6763690317_89cbcf5a51_b.jpg

I would also suggest getting the book "The M1 Garand 1936-1957" or any of the Scott Duff books. Lots of information about the parts diffrences between production years and diffrences between maker mark stamps.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I just came here from the CMP Forum. If I understand it correctly, until the CMP catches up, mail orders have been stopped, and very few Garands are in the stores. The advice that was given was to wait it out and all should be back to normal within a couple of months. Here is the link: CMP North Store - CMP Forums

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Read the cmp forum before you head to the north store, people give updates on what's on the floor so you don't wast a trip. I bought my field grade at the ns mgy brother has mail ordered a few and has never gotten a bad one.. mail order you might get new commerical wood. If the rifle has issues cmp will make it right for you.

Top Bottom