Wheelgun Wednesday: Aftermath Of A kaBoomed Revolver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/11/17/kaboomed-revolver/

Thanks for joining us for another TFB Wheelgun Wednesday, where the world revolves around revolvers (at least for one day a week). If you’ve been a firearms enthusiast for long, you’ve no doubt seen a photo of a kaBoomed revolver, but this time we’ve included a bit more context and a few more contextual photos. These photos come courtesy of Jacob, one of the Range Safety Officers at the Sharpe Shooters Outdoor Range in Augusta, Georgia. Jacob pointed out that no one was hurt despite the amount of pieces produced from the overcharged, handloaded .44 Magnum cartridge. Jacob also mentioned that the shooter has been reloading for 30 years, and unfortunately discovered his explosive mistake with quite a surprise.

As for the few kaBoomed revolver photos floating around the interwebs, we usually only see the one photo similar to the title image of this article. We’re fortunate to see a bit more of the rest of the pieces, that blew up and out. The following photo is of the S&W 629’s top strap embedded in the wooden cover of the shooting lane.
    kaBoomed Revolver

As the top chamber exploded, the side walls blew out into the neighboring chambers and opened up the cartridge to the right of the barrel, and smashed the empty case in the chamber to the left of the barrel. I was surprised to see that the rear sight remained intact and that the head of the front screw sheered off to escape the jettisoned top strap. The only injury of the incident appears to be a minor powder burn, and of course the damaged pride.
    Aftermath of a kaBoomed Revolver

kaBoomed revolver

According to Jacob, the owner of the kaBoomed revolver was kind enough to give his skylight windowed wheelgun to the owner of the Sharpe Shooters Outdoor Range at the cost of a Diet Coke. The owner of Sharpe Shooters will use it as an educational tool for current and future handloaders. Naturally, it’s sad to see this happen to any shooter and firearm, but it’s good to see occasional reminders to pay attention to each step of the process when reloading. Jacob didn’t recall which powder the .44 Magnum was loaded with, but remembered that his original load data was to use 11 grains of powder.
    Thanks to Jacob and Sharpe Shooters Outdoor Range for letting us share this learning experience and we are glad that no one was hurt. Feel free to stop by their range if you’re passing through. They have a simple but informative website and maintain an active Facebook page as well. You can see Jacob’s original Reddit thread HERE. What do you think about this kaBoom? Are there any extra safety practices you use to prevent any big surprises?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Wow, that is not something you see every day, especially in a quality revolver. I have seen a .38 blown up like that but it was a cheapie and the guy was a new reloader. I am glad the shooter only got a powder burn.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I remember back in the 1980’s a small mistake with Bullseye peeled back a few top straps in 38 special S&W revolvers. I never used Bullseye but from what I was told by experienced reloaders when I was starting is Bullseye very easy to double charge it due to volume.

Reactions: Leo

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've reloaded for years and I never have double charged a round. On single stage press I use Lee's perfect powder measure it would mean I pull the handle twice to double charge a rd. On the turret press I have Lee's auto drum and again it would be very hard to double charge a rd as it moves to the next die after I pull the handle down.

So my question is how do double charged rounds happen? People not paying attention?

I've reloaded for around 30 years now and have not made that mistake thank God.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    WOW

I'm just starting to reload some .500 S&W MAG rounds for my GFs son. Gonna pay extra attention doing these and carefully work the loads up from minimum charge.

Anyone know how "fluffy" H110 is (still seeking some to buy)? I know reloaders prefer powders that fill the case up enough to make a double charge nearly impossible.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I've reloaded for years and I never have double charged a round. On single stage press I use Lee's perfect powder measure it would mean I pull the handle twice to double charge a rd. On the turret press I have Lee's auto drum and again it would be very hard to double charge a rd as it moves to the next die after I pull the handle down.

So my question is how do double charged rounds happen? People not paying attention?

I've reloaded for around 30 years now and have not made that mistake thank God.
    It says the owner/reloader had 30 years of trouble free reloading, so he obviously knew what he was doing. It comes down to sometimes sh*t happens.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You're a day late and well, you know
    The better thread title should win. Click bait has seemingly infiltrated every aspect of online communication.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It says the owner/reloader had 30 years of trouble free reloading, so he obviously knew what he was doing. It comes down to sometimes sh*t happens.
    I also recheck the powder charge every 10rds to be sure its still dropping in the correct range.

If I'm loading match rds I set the perfect powder measure to toss a little light and trickle the exact weight I want.

I had a couple of good reloaders that made sure I understand how dangerous a double charge was. One actually did a double charge on his 45colt and it blew apart. He has it framed and hanging in front of his reloading table as a reminder to reload and keep your mind on reloading. If you have your mind elsewhere don't be reloading. He is right even after 30 years.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    WOW

I'm just starting to reload some .500 S&W MAG rounds for my GFs son. Gonna pay extra attention doing these and carefully work the loads up from minimum charge.

Anyone know how "fluffy" H110 is (still seeking some to buy)? I know reloaders prefer powders that fill the case up enough to make a double charge nearly impossible.
    I am pretty sure H110 is similar to WW 296 which is not "fluffy" but two charges will not fit in the case. I have used WW296 in .357 and .44 mag. When they say do not load too low, they mean it. I did stick a bullet from a squib load trying to load too light, but sticking to the published data works fine.

For big bore magnum revolvers I really like and stick with AA#9. It fills the case and is very consistent. It is an old formula so it is a little dirty compared to more modern powders, but it performs so well I think it is worth it.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I am pretty sure H110 is similar to WW 296 which is not "fluffy" but two charges will not fit in the case. I have used WW296 in .357 and .44 mag. When they say do not load too low, they mean it. I did stick a bullet from a squib load trying to load too light, but sticking to the published data works fine.

For big bore magnum revolvers I really like and stick with AA#9. It fills the case and is very consistent. It is an old formula so it is a little dirty compared to more modern powders, but it performs so well I think it is worth it.
    TY yeah, and it’s in stock from Hodgdon.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And you also have the idiots who intentionally hand load their rounds with way too much powder.

Back in the 1980's I worked with an idiot (Jesse) who was one these guys who's an "expert" on everything who decided HIS revolver (I forget if it was a .357 or .44 magnum) was built so well, he could over load his rounds with no problem.
    He would often brag at work about how hot he overloaded them.
    I told him he was nuts!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom