• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    What kind of wear? Barrel to slide contact? I would just leave it alone.
    Yes, Kludge is right. If it is on the outside of the barrel, I would leave it alone as well. This is normal and unless it is leaving some kind of deep gouges in the barrel, at which time I would take it to a gunsmith and find out why, trying to re-blue the barrel will be pointless. After a few hundred rounds you will find yourself doing it again. JMHO.:twocents:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You could very easily polish it yourself.

If not wanting to do it yourself, contact that one in Greenfield that's an advertiser here. - I can't remember the name.

Get a firm turnaround and hold them to it.

If you want a shiny/glossy finish, I'd do it for a box of ammo. Some folks just polish the block/chamber and leave the barrel itself in its original finish.

If you're in love with your XD and want to get spendy, look up companies that do hard chroming. It's not shiny, but looks nice and purposeful.

Buell7387

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Nob-less-ville
    yeah it's just normal wear...nothing serious. Just want a better look. doesn't necessarily have to be shiny. just want the stainless look. I would also like to polish the end of the guide rod that sticks out of the slide under the barrel.

Cophgnsnuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Williamsport
    yeah it's just normal wear...nothing serious. Just want a better look. doesn't necessarily have to be shiny. just want the stainless look. I would also like to polish the end of the guide rod that sticks out of the slide under the barrel.

Just an idea I dont know that it would work, We used to use jewelers rouge and a dremel on our buttons for blues inspections in the Army, would the same thing apply for polishing up a barrel or guide rod?

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    do it yourself.
    get some mothers mag polish from walmart about $3.50 a tube and go to town. If you have a dremel it would be a little easier pop a polishing wheel on it and ur good to go. I have done my xd,p22 and LCP this way and all came out great.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Decided to do it myself...did alot of research online but appreciate all the help folks!

If you are planning on using a dremel, be generous with the polish, and keep the speed fairly low. Otherwise you will create too much heat and leave swirl marks in it. Have fun. Polishing is addictive. Once you start you will find yourself polishing all kinds of stuff.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom