• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    A person that I know has several rifles that his grandfather used to own so I am guessing they are around 100 years old.
    Where could he go to get these appraised?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Common methods would be gun broker sold prices.

Their are several sites google will recommend which will get you into the ball bark.

You can buy the most current blue book of gun values.(most likely where I would start)
    The are about 30 for the paperback one.

Now of this is done and something is very expensive/rare/unique/ pM me and I can get you in touch with someone who either knows the items real well or knows the market real well.

96 precent of value questions can be answered in the blue book of gun values. Does not include rapid rising of prices on high demand items but take into account trends and swings pretty well.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you plan to pay for an appraisal, take your checkbook with you.
    Quality appraisals aren't cheap, but as described above, you can get a really good ballpark idea from GunBroker sold auctions.
    You could also post pics here and let Ingo tell you they are worth a dollar apiece, and offers for twice that...

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    If you plan to pay for an appraisal, take your checkbook with you.
    Quality appraisals aren't cheap, but as described above, you can get a really good ballpark idea from GunBroker sold auctions.
    You could also post pics here and let Ingo tell you they are worth a dollar apiece, and offers for twice that...
    I would gladly offer 3 times.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just my two cents, all mentioned have been good. Several years of Blue Book can point out trends. And GB will tell current at that location. I’ve been also using truegunvalue.com for a while, it gives current market trends based on multiple sales in different regions. The three combined should get you a good idea of value. But unless you have intimate knowledge of firearms and the Variability of each model you may lose out on some. For collectibles condition is everything, and you must grade each with an unbiased eye. JMO, and good luck.

Last edited:

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    To see completed auctions on Gunbroker, you have to have an acct.

I've had decent luck so far just by googling "Gunbroker (name/type of gun)" and clicking on all the results. Seems to pull up most items that are currently being auctioned as well as the most recent month or two of closed auctions. You'll get a bunch of dead links, but I just click around those.

Not to mention, a month paid subscription to GB would still be cheaper than a professional appraisal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Gunbroker is free, just like ebay. The only time there are fees is if you sell something.
    IIRC, I had to give them a credit card number, which they did a "test charge" on to make sure I was legit, and then later refunded it. But it was just a one time thing. It's been several years ago though.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Gunbroker is free, just like ebay. The only time there are fees is if you sell something.
    Oh, I gotcha. You're just saying you have to sign up for an account to view closed auctions, not necessarily pay for anything. I might've been thinking of Armslist, which I believe went to a monthy subscription, maybe? (I've never actually used either service, so forgive my ignorance.)

In either case, my googling suggestion still stands, although it would probably be worth signing up for a free GB account to look at closed auctions if you're trying to appraise a valuable gun or collection for sale.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Oh, I gotcha. You're just saying you have to sign up for an account to view closed auctions, not necessarily pay for anything. I might've been thinking of Armslist, which I believe went to a monthy subscription, maybe? (I've never actually used either service, so forgive my ignorance.)

In either case, my googling suggestion still stands, although it would probably be worth signing up for a free GB account to look at closed auctions if you're trying to appraise a valuable gun or collection for sale.
    Exactly. I think GB competed auctions are the true gun market value. Of course looking at auctions that actually took bids and sold.
    Just like anything, people can ask what they want for an item. Items that actually take bids and sell are the current market.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Common methods would be gun broker sold prices.
    -Snip -
    Gunbroker sold is good.
    Just remember when you use this price, don't forget to add on the sales tax, shipping, transfer fees, possible credit card surcharge, etc to get a clearer idea of what the ACTUAL sales price was.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    no idea where you are.
    one of the LGS in my area specializes in purchasing collections. In the past I've asked him to look at a old piece I got via inheritance and he was kind enough to chat with me about it. The shop is Premier Arms in Brownsburg IN.
    Depends on how much you have, and how likely you are to sell I guess.

Top Bottom