Which Old Guys Got Their Shrike in the Last Round of Shipments?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Since you had to order these nearly nine years ago, most of the guys under thirty probably did not get in on the order. Myself was going to cancel years ago but never got around to it ...;. Well the good news is I got mine after "ONLY" 8.5 years, the bad news is it had to go back the next day for repairs, barrel latch was lightly binding on the cover (if it was not for winter weather may have done a test shoot first). Mandatory link to photos: Shrike on The Bench
    shrike_unpacked.jpg

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Saw this video and thought I would share. The cost to run that baby has gone up a little since you ordered it huh?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiVoEL5Z4Go[/ame]

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Saw this video and thought I would share. The cost to run that baby has gone up a little since you ordered it huh?

Thanks for the link. I noticed the lack of the primary sights for a belt gun ... TRACERS ;-)
    However that did not appear to slow him down, nor the lack of either optical or iron sights, either.

Cost to run has not gone up any for the first month or two, while I am shooting the same dozen and a half cases of ammo from back then, after that well that is another story as 10K rounds will only reload the links once. The good news is that at least it is not a year or two ago when ammo cost/supply was even worst.

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Week after sent in the Shrike, it's back and the barrel feed lever works nicely.
    Great weekend to be shooting, but instead replacing heat pump and lights ....

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I can think of three people's reloads that I would shoot and one of the three does not reload anything supper sonic that is not larger than 30 cal and more often larger than 50 ;-).

But if it works ok with Wolf, then that and tracer will probably be the ammo most of the time.

mp40gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rushville, Indiana
    Well John when you move it down the road let me know and it can go with the other firearms that I've bought off you. It looks really nice and can't wait to shoot it.

Also you should reload, it does save a ton of money. I'm doing a bunch of 8mm Kurz right now. Might have to get it out at the farm again this year.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Well John when you move it down the road let me know and it can go with the other firearms that I've bought off you. It looks really nice and can't wait to shoot it.

Also you should reload, it does save a ton of money. I'm doing a bunch of 8mm Kurz right now. Might have to get it out at the farm again this year.

I reload when have time or need accuracy (i.e. 338 LM) ... hours at work have gotten even longer.

If you have a M16 by now, might be able to make you a deal on the Shrike as it is used and dirty (should be clean by midnight at which time the deal is over ;-) and/or the Sako TRG-42 (looking at an evil bolt action 50 BMG from EDM ;-).
    edmwr96.jpg

Take Care

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    this is one time I wish I was old :)

Not really, also spent enough "playing" with three surgeons over the holiday's to cover buying a shrike at the secondary market spot price of $7500 ... each had to get their own ounce of flesh.

The Shrike is an interesting option, way lot lighter than most other LMG's. The good news is worked fine with a belt of Wolf, so can work on the ammo I picked up on election day a few years ago ... down side is not sure the "extra" 10K rounds will last until July 4th if I keep it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Not really, also spent enough "playing" with three surgeons over the holiday's to cover buying a shrike at the secondary market spot price of $7500 ... each had to get their own ounce of flesh.

The Shrike is an interesting option, way lot lighter than most other LMG's. The good news is worked fine with a belt of Wolf, so can work on the ammo I picked up on election day a few years ago ... down side is not sure the "extra" 10K rounds will last until July 4th if I keep it.
    :rockwoot:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I know NFA items are typically extremely cost prohibitive to buy. $7500 is REASONABLE. And that makes me sad to say that. One of the comments on the video shares my sentiment exactly. These types of things (full auto weapons in general) should be affordable and available to the law abiding general public.
    Now, I know you must be running some type of F/A lower, and I know that belt fed is legal ALA semi-auto 1919, so is that upper an SBR or something? Does it include a registered auto sear? What I'm getting at is why did you have to wait almost 9 years? Manufacturing? Finding one? DETAILS MAN!!! DETAILS!!!

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I know NFA items are typically extremely cost prohibitive to buy. $7500 is REASONABLE. And that makes me sad to say that. One of the comments on the video shares my sentiment exactly. These types of things (full auto weapons in general) should be affordable and available to the law abiding general public.
    Now, I know you must be running some type of F/A lower, and I know that belt fed is legal ALA semi-auto 1919, so is that upper an SBR or something? Does it include a registered auto sear? What I'm getting at is why did you have to wait almost 9 years? Manufacturing? Finding one? DETAILS MAN!!! DETAILS!!!

The Shrike upper is not a SBR because it is just an upper, nothing more. Since it is a somewhat "quick change" barrel upper it can have a short or long barrel on it. Either way it is just an upper. If you have a barrel under 16" on a upper on a machinegun registered lower then it is not a SBR because it is now part of a machinegun. If you have the upper with a short barrel on a semi lower then you have enough parts for constructive possession of a SBR and should be registered as such.

The Shrike upper is going for $7500 range just for the upper and misc parts not including the NFA registered lower or auto sear. That would be a bit extra.

Chuck

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    As Chuck pointed out the Shrike is only an upper and not a gun in and of it's self. If you put in on a semi lower, then you end up with either a Tittle 1 firearm if you have the 16" barrel in or if the 12.5 barrel then you need to have had the system registered as a SBR.

The Shrike was announced as coming out in the near future about nine years ago and if one sent in a grand then you were put on the waiting list. Due to various delays Ares (the OEM) ended up only getting out a few dozen (at most) each year. This year they got out several dozen and my number came up (still a lot of guys waiting that mailed in their check the month after I did, having hit the offer early on).

To shoot on full auto one has to own a DIAS or a registered receiver, either of which cost several thousand the end of the last century and more than the Shrike upper now days.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Shrike sn599 at 1500 Rounds

Cain tried to get a hold of you but you changed you e-mail and did not return the calls to your place. Ended up deciding on going with the mm23e instead of the Shrike and had a good buddy discount sale for under cost.

Shrike Replacement
    MM23E-KFreezeframe1.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom