• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I'm stuck in-between 6.5prc, 300wm or 338lm. (1) I'm looking for something that is long distance for bench shooting, which is most of what I'll be doing. When I say long distance I mean 1000+. I've been hitting consistent with my 6.5cm at around 800- 1000, but am looking for something a little more reliable at those ranges. (2) At some point in my life I'd love to go on an Elk hunt and also still currently deer hunt.
    From the price ranges I've seen 338lm is the most expensive down to 6.5prc. From what I could tell the 6.5prc was the most expensive rife of the 3. I was looking for any ideas or suggestions. Thank you.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Have you considered a .300 PRC? IMO, that would be the best double duty cartridge choice if you ever intend to hunt anything bigger than deer. If you don't intend to hunt anything bigger than deer, then stick with the 6.5 PRC.

I would think the .338LM would be the most expensive rifle as well as the most expensive to feed. I'd take a look at the Sako S20 for the 6.5 PRC. You can find one for under $1200 and it can be configured for hunting or target shooting with a quick change of stocks. They frequently have rebates for a free set of the opposite style stock that your purchased rifle has. Bergara also has reasonably priced options in both 6.5 and .300 PRC targeted to both hunting and target purposes.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Have you considered a .300 PRC? IMO, that would be the best double duty cartridge choice if you ever intend to hunt anything bigger than deer. If you don't intend to hunt anything bigger than deer, then stick with the 6.5 PRC.

I would think the .338LM would be the most expensive rifle as well as the most expensive to feed. I'd take a look at the Sako S20 for the 6.5 PRC. You can find one for under $1200 and it can be configured for hunting or target shooting with a quick change of stocks. They frequently have rebates for a free set of the opposite style stock that your purchased rifle has. Bergara also has reasonably priced options in both 6.5 and .300 PRC targeted to both hunting and target purposes.
    Thanks I was looking at that and also a 7mm PRC. Seems the more I look the more I find I may like something else. I'm still in the looking stage.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    The recoil of the 30's and larger is stiff to robust.
    6.5mm to 7mm is a sweet spot. Personally, I like the 140gn. to 153gn. Berger range of bullets in 6.5mm. In this range they have target and hunting bullets, I REALLY like the hybrid line of bullets.
    Also, you have not mentioned the 6.5mm x 284.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    The recoil of the 30's and larger is stiff to robust.
    6.5mm to 7mm is a sweet spot. Personally, I like the 140gn. to 153gn. Berger range of bullets in 6.5mm. In this range they have target and hunting bullets, I REALLY like the hybrid line of bullets.
    Also, you have not mentioned the 6.5mm x 284.
    Honestly never even heard of it. It seems the more I look the more I find.

Top Bottom