• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    At one point in my life, I qualified for WIC and probably other programs. I tried to make an appointment ONCE to look into WIC. The only appointment times available were during the day when I was at work. I decided then and there that the program was aimed at people who were not working and not really meant to help those who were working but possibly not making enough to feed their children properly. I never called them again. My kids qualified for free lunches/breakfasts at school and free book rental for several years. The school tried to push those programs and constantly asked me to fill out paperwork to see if my kids were eligible. I assured them that my kids ate breakfast at home and could carry their lunch, and I paid the book rental. Sometimes, I had to make payments, but I paid for their books. It always amazed me that they tried to push me to take advantage of these things. I did not have kids to be a burden on society. I did not marry with the intent of divorcing and being a single parent, but it happened and those kids were MY responsibility. I chose to have them. I did not expect others to raise or support my kids.

I'm not sure when WIC was started. I do know that in the winter of 1986, I found myself in the midst of a divorce, with an old house, no phone, no child support, and very little heat. I had a job, I found out that I qualified for very little assistance, I said screw it and never applied for assistance. I remember the day I had the appointment, my old truck had a flat tire in the parking lot at work, I was able to hitch a ride to the appointment, then walked back to work, and then to my parents' to get more tools. Meanwhile, some of the non-working food stamp recipients were driving better cars and buying steak. I know that for a fact, because I used to work in a grocery store.
    As far as the dilemma about stock-piling using the money you save with govt. assistance, I'm a bit torn. If SHTF, there's not going to be much help, so I don't see much wrong with being prepared to help your family survive, as long as it's not cheating or dishonest. Lots of gray areas...

Jabberwocky

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Muncie
    Interesting thoughts. I guess I'd just have to encourage a person to use what resources are available to him/her in case we really have a SHTF scenario.

Top Bottom