• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Hey all, I'm taking my dad to TX to hunt turkeys, while he is doing that, I will probably be doing some hog hunting. I've hunted most of my life, but chasing bacon will be a new opportunity for me.

For those with experience with these, what is a good caliber rifle that will get the job done? I had also considered hunting with a suppressor to lessen the noise. As I understand the best option to kill them is a (boom!) headshot.

Any my input would be greatly appreciated!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When I've gone, we've had everything from .223, 7.62x39, .270, .308 and .30-30. Hitting them (early and often) is the best bet. The ranch gun there was .300 Win Mag or something.

I've taken a suppressor, but at the ranges we were shooting from, it wouldn't have mattered. Supersonic ammo and ~100 yds means they are scattering when the first shot is taken. Seems more about getting quick shots on available targets after that.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    .223 and a mag dump at a time, they are small and in large groups, hard to get good shots off, you will get one good shot off then they will take off and you will have to dump the mag as fast as you can on target to drop as many as you can before the disappear in the brush.

I use a Colt M4 w/EoTech and prefer to hunt late nights with nothing but moon light.

I always carry a side arm for any up close work.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The cover in the Hill Country is typically thick so you want to concentrate on making a good shots and putting them down quickly with minimal tracking. The neck shot with a point of aim right behind the ear is your best bet, the kill zone is just as big as the heart/lung area, is less protected, and correct shot placement will drop the pig instantly. A .223 will get the job done with correct placement and good bullets. You will likely have plenty of opportunities so I would focus on shooting one or two hogs per group well, instead of wounding as many as possible. In islands of thick cover surrounded by open land, hogs will typically scatter once the shooting starts but most won't go far and some may even return to see what the commotion is about if they didn't see or smell you. If you see a sow with piglets drop her and you can mop up the piglets (much better to eat) at leisure.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I always carry a side arm for any up close work.
    This.

The ONE time I didn't (because I hadn't needed it in several hunts, so "this time" would be fine), had a hog run up to about 15 ft from me as I was waiting for the 4 wheeler. I had already unchambered the round from the AR, because I had Kirk on my left shoulder telling me to do the safe thing. I heard something in the brush nearby, but figured there was no way it was a hog - hadn't seen one that night at all. As it got closer, I was ready to pull the handle, and sure enough, when it burst into the trail, by the time I pulled the CH, and brought the rifle up, it was back into the brush.

Having a handgun would've been way better.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    This.

The ONE time I didn't (because I hadn't needed it in several hunts, so "this time" would be fine), had a hog run up to about 15 ft from me as I was waiting for the 4 wheeler. I had already unchambered the round from the AR, because I had Kirk on my left shoulder telling me to do the safe thing. I heard something in the brush nearby, but figured there was no way it was a hog - hadn't seen one that night at all. As it got closer, I was ready to pull the handle, and sure enough, when it burst into the trail, by the time I pulled the CH, and brought the rifle up, it was back into the brush.

Having a handgun would've been way better.

I think you would have a new appreciation for your muscle memory after that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think you would have a new appreciation for your muscle memory after that.
    Well, that and preparation. Sorta.

I mean, it kinda illustrated the randomness of hunting. There I was, not in a blind or trying to hide myself at all, on the ground, waiting for my ride, when this random hog decides to see how close he can get to me. (Probably a double-hog dare from his buddies.)

The local guys gave me a hard time for unloading before the 4 wheeler got there. And yeah, it was probably premature. But, I'd also rather not get a hog and follow my firearm-safety instincts.

Top Bottom