• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I was curious if the systems that control and monitor the GPS system will survive a SHTF senario?

I know the clocks have to be checked and adjusted and that the satelliltes have to me moved from time to time due to orbital drift but what is the consensus about how long the GPS system will be useful for navigation?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've always heard that we currently use the satellites for free and they can be blocked to us at any time.

If the SHTF I wouldn't count on any GPS working unless you're in the military.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    About 30 seconds, before the military shuts down civilian access.

Technically, I'd guess GPS would just get less and less accurate as the satellites drifted.

I need to refresh my compass/map orienteering skills a bit.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It depends what type of SHTF scenario you are talking about.
    The GPS can be shut down at any time and restricted to the US military only.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Maybe..............

Or they could degrade it.....I've gone places where my garmin did not work, but after I left the area, it worked fine.

Do you have any idea the laughs the Gov could have by messing with the gps system in areas they want to cause mayhem....................................

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I don't know a lot about the subject. However, I have owned one since the 90s. I bough a garmin etrex vista back when it came out ( one of the original grey screen ones.) I did notice that when 9/11 happened the service went down the drain for a few weeks.

Before 9/11 I could get down to 17 feet
    During and slightly after 9/11 maybe only 1 or 2 satellite locks max. Not enough to find your location.
    Few weeks after 9/11 it started around 100 feet and back to what we know today. I think I average 3-7 feet most of the time.

I know this doesn't really give a definite answer to your question but I would suspect military would get priority over civilian applications.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Well I guess to clarify what I mean is that those who maintain were unable to what would happen to the system, I watched a program on how it all works and understand they have to contantly update things and adjust things and so on. If that stopped, how long before the accuracy and system would degrade such that it would be useless..

Basically should I incorporate a new hand held GPS in my preps or not? I figure if it is a natural or an attack we might be able to use the system, if it is a problem with our government then it could be useless..

Just curious..

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I think if I was planning a SHTF buggout I'd find/buy/ down-load-to-print maps to all the pre-selected places I thought I might end up. Side roads/back roads etc... Don 't
    count on your electronics.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Ya for SHTF I would have TOPO maps and a compass. Cause like everyone said if anything happened the Gov would shut down access to them and your Garmin would become a paperweight. Plus when packing your BOB a map and compass is a lot lighter than a GPS unit.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I think if I was planning a SHTF buggout I'd find/buy/ down-load-to-print maps to all the pre-selected places I thought I might end up. Side roads/back roads etc... Don 't
    count on your electronics.

This, and know the land around your area or where you might travel well. Knowing how to use a compass is a skill everyone should know.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I kinda know where I'm going, and how I'm going to get there. Unless the earth's crust turns inside out, someone steals every highway sign along my path, and the gas in my tank instantaneously vaporizes, I'm pretty sure I'm good to go.

If SHTF why would you plan on going on a walkabout to/thru areas you don't know? Is it like a Book of Eli thing? I'm just thinking about the top 300 reasons not to / problems encountered on such an adventure. :dunno:

Orienteering is a necessary skill to have. Maps and a good lensatic compass are the tools you'll require. Most people will be able to just follow the people walking in front of them.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sticking with the whole SHTF theme... we don't know when exactly *it* will happen (assuming it isn't on 5/21/11, that is). Having a map/compass is a good idea, because you might be out and about when *it* happens, and want/need to get home or someplace safe.

I certainly don't plan on walking to San Fransisco, that's for sure!

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    Call me old school, but I don't have a GPS. I have an atlas in my vehicle. If I am out when SHTF and need to get home, I think I can manage. If SHTF I'm pretty sure I wont be going any farther than a 10 mile radius from home anyway.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    As someone above stated, there is no reason for them to restrict GPS. Civilian receivers are passive, they don't transmit back. Now, if the grid is toast, that is a completely different situation.

Top Bottom