• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There used to be a guy on gunbroker years ago that went by "Counterfeit Trench Guns". But I haven't seen his stuff in years.

He would do any sporting gun he could get his hands on. That was where the Savage 1921 trench gun came from I saw.

However the original guns ordered by uncle sam, that took the M1917 Bayonet are as follows. Now some of these you have to watch. Overly generalizing.. WW1 trench guns were often NOT takedown models, but WW2 trench guns often were the take down versions of the guns. Also Uncle Sam ordered more of these things (including the HUGE 1917 bayonets) for Vietnam.

Remington Model 10 (this is the screwball of the bunch, this used a janky woodhandgaurd setup)

Winchester 1897
    Winchester 1912

Stevens 520
    Stevens 620

Ithaca 37

Winchester 1200 (these were Vietnam jobs, these darn things were inventory until the war on Terrorism!)

There were a couple of Vietnam era trench guns made to take the later Garand bayonet, but you will never run into them. (or the Model 1200 above ether)

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    There used to be a guy on gunbroker years ago that went by "Counterfeit Trench Guns". But I haven't seen his stuff in years.

He would do any sporting gun he could get his hands on. That was where the Savage 1921 trench gun came from I saw.

However the original guns ordered by uncle sam, that took the M1917 Bayonet are as follows. Now some of these you have to watch. Overly generalizing.. WW1 trench guns were often NOT takedown models, but WW2 trench guns often were the take down versions of the guns. Also Uncle Sam ordered more of these things (including the HUGE 1917 bayonets) for Vietnam.

Remington Model 10 (this is the screwball of the bunch, this used a janky woodhandgaurd setup)

Winchester 1897
    Winchester 1912

Stevens 520
    Stevens 620

Ithaca 37

Winchester 1200 (these were Vietnam jobs, these darn things were inventory until the war on Terrorism!)

There were a couple of Vietnam era trench guns made to take the later Garand bayonet, but you will never run into them. (or the Model 1200 above ether)

According to Bruce Canfield, ALL WWI Wincheeter 97s were solid frames and ALL WWII guns were takedown.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    IobKzW9.jpg

For some reason my text didn't come through on this post.

The WWII 1897 is legit. Even the heat shield is NOS WWII that I rust blued and riveted on the bayonet lug. I took it to Tulsa last year to show someone and Lock Stock and Barrel Investments offered $7,500 for it.

The Model 12 trench gun is a put together gun with all legit parts. It cost me almost twice as much to put together as the 1897 cost me. It has a real heat shield and bayonet lug, a real receiver, a real barrel, a real magazine tube, a real sling swivel that took me 2 days to inlet it correctly. All in all, I have about $3,500 in the Model 12, but it was fun to assemble something that can't be discerned from a real trench gun. I will never try to pass it off as real.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I am looking for a heatshield/bayonet lug for a father and son project. My son found me a Stevens 520 beater we want to turn into a trench gun for fun. Reproduction and beat up is fine!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    They are coming around on Ebay. Someone must have started making them again.
    I checked ebay yesterday and they were all around $400 except one. I bid on it but the previous bidder must have placed a high initial bid. If you hear of anything, please let me know.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    PSA needs to make a replica of the Winchester 1897 Trench Gun. It won't hurt to have another replica of a JMB designed firearm.
    I would rather PSA replicate the 870 bayonet part... this part alone will run you over $800. Particularly since PSA is now making a 870 clone

On the 870, it slips over the mag tube extension.

1709054548376.jpeg

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Might as well post here as well, but looking for a M1917 bayonet too. Beatup is fine, scales can be replaced, rust removed, edge sharpened or slight bend corrected if the price is right.

Original would be nice due to questionable quality of reproductions, but more than willing to listen to anyone who might have one sitting around gathering dust or eating up the food reserves when it gets bored. You know how those things can be... if left unattended, they get up to no good.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Found me a heatshield and it turns out I had a bayonet in my box of misc stuff. I had bought it years ago at a swap meet in Clarksville for $20, turns out it was the British Pattern 1913 made by Remington and repurposed for the US at their entry into WWI in 1917. The British proof marks are marked out and US ones added. Pretty damn cool. Now I just need a buttstock, the one I have on the 520 is cracked and most likely not repairable. But we will see...

Everything is old and beat up except for the repo heatshield, so I am torn between trying to age it or refinish/reblue the shotgun and bayonet.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Found me a heatshield and it turns out I had a bayonet in my box of misc stuff. I had bought it years ago at a swap meet in Clarksville for $20, turns out it was the British Pattern 1913 made by Remington and repurposed for the US at their entry into WWI in 1917. The British proof marks are marked out and US ones added. Pretty damn cool. Now I just need a buttstock, the one I have on the 520 is cracked and most likely not repairable. But we will see...

Everything is old and beat up except for the repo heatshield, so I am torn between trying to age it or refinish/reblue the shotgun and bayonet.
    Since you seem to be looking for input, my vote is to distress the heat shield to match the rest of the shotgun.

For the crack in the stock, use Acraglas and brass pins are the way to go. Brownells carries all the supplies you need for this type of repair.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Got my old Stevens 520A together with heatshield aged and fitted to the cut down barrel. Just need a butt plate for the stock. It was cracked but I injected wood glue in the cracks and clamped it. Should hold together just fine. The glue is probably stronger than the near 100 year old wood.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.jpeg
      IMG_1590.jpeg
      766.6 KB · Views: 4
    • IMG_1589.jpeg
      IMG_1589.jpeg
      831.1 KB · Views: 4
    Top Bottom