Windicator Double Action Only? Or did I get ripped off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Went to the Stout Field show this afternoon. Wife wanted to get a revolver for her first carry piece. We looked at a bunch, and she liked a bunch, but we decided to pick something economical for now, knowing that we can sell it and trade up later.

Ended up getting a EAA Windicator .357 2" from a collector. The way the zip tie was set up kept the gun from being able to be cocked, but I assumed it was SA/DA. Get it home, and it will not cock, the hammer does not remain back. Now, I know that DAO revolvers exist and many people like them, but I can find no info online about a DAO Windicator.

Can anyone verify that this revolver was indeed manufactured DAO, or was I sold a broken gun?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've never heard of a revolver that is DAO. I would definitely go back to the show and talk to the dealer, if it's open tomorrow.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've never heard of a revolver that is DAO.

:orly:

Most manufacturers offer DAO versions of their standard DA revolvers; they typically have the hammer spur shaved off, or have a completely internal hammer (think S&W 442/642 or Ruger LCR).

That said, I've never seen a DAO Windicator.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Well crap. Like I mentioned, it was zip tied through the trigger guard behing the trigger so that the trigger couldn't fully travel back. Problem is, I went to the show on my way to my in-laws in SW Indiana. Am there now, and won't be able to make it back in time to hit the show again:(

Didn't get much of a bargain on it, $270 out the door, but I had heard that they are solid pistols and I didn't imagine I would have an issue getting that back out of it later.

Have any of you guys ever had a revolver break and go DAO, or I guess my real question is ballpark what am I looking at to fix it.....

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    EnochRoot43, you need to take it back. The EAA Windicator should fire in double and single action. I owned one and sold it. Was an absolute tack driver and wish that I did not sell it. I got rid of it cause the grip was too small for my hands and loved shooting .357 magnum. Hope you get squared away soon. Keep us updated.

If the dealer will not take it back, call EAA. Their customer service rep's were pretty nice when I spoke with them in order to contact one of their armorers. Good luck.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Thanks for the advice.

Just shot it a bit. Wife wasn't a big fan, the DA trigger pull was too much for her to shoot comfortably. I liked it, and it was a little more accurate than I expected for a snubnose. Nice balance. I would have no hesitation using it for a back up or a truck gun.

I believe I will call EAA about it and see what they can do. My readings have pointed to issues with the single action sear, possibly the sear spring, and possibly the hammer notch. I might have a little looksie at it myself, but I don't plan on attempting any repairs myself; sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

The guy I bought it from only had a handful of pistols for sale, and it is disgusting that he sold it to me with not a mention of the problem:xmad:. Everyone collects "idiot tax" on occasion, but I think the decent thing to do would have been to at the very least cut the ziptie off, hand me the piece, and say "check out that trigger pull" or something to that respect. I do know that in the future I will never assume anything to be kosher, and will keep my dealings with people I can hold accountable.

In happier news, I got to shoot the XD9 subcompact I bought last week from an INGO'er today, and all I have to say is :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Thing is a tackdriver. Feels great, points great, shoot great. Got a nice deal on it, too. So, thanks INGO; for the advice, and for being consistently the most decent group of humans around.

:ingo:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good luck dealing with EAA. I won't buy any of their products after being treated poorly. Over the years, I have turned into a gun snob. I buy well-known american-made revolvers. They are well-made and the companies back them up and offer repair service. Like my cars, I usually buy used, but one can get stung on any used gun unless he knows a lot about them or has a friend that knows about them and will help him pick one out. Live and learn, I suppose.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Good luck dealing with EAA. I won't buy any of their products after being treated poorly. Over the years, I have turned into a gun snob. I buy well-known american-made revolvers. They are well-made and the companies back them up and offer repair service. Like my cars, I usually buy used, but one can get stung on any used gun unless he knows a lot about them or has a friend that knows about them and will help him pick one out. Live and learn, I suppose.

I have to agree with you here. My wife loves her Taurus revolvers, but I have joined the S&W crowd as far as DA revolvers. If money were tight, and a Taurus or Rossi were all I could afford, they are serviceable revolvers, but as compared to the trigger on even an inexpensive S&W, or even a Ruger, have to look to American revolvers first.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers

^^^ THIS ^^^

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Tanfoglio - who has more firearms children-with-different-names than a rock star. However, I would almost before I ever buy a Witness or anything else that those pieces-of-refuse at EAA would have to support.

Top Bottom