• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As much as I'd LOVE to buy a new bolt action, I don't want to spend the money. I have a .303 Enfield that's been Scoped. It's pretty accurate at least to 100 yds. What I'm wanting to do with it is get a new body from ATI and install it.

Also, I'd like to have it threaded for a suppressor can as well... I'm sure someone could MAKE a can for a .303, but would it be worth it? Thoughts?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    .303 is a very loud booming round. It would not supress well. Heck, even .308 is still pretty loud after the best supression available. I would say, not worth it, but hey, its up to the user.

That being said, I would keep your Enfield the way it is now. There is no need to make it a uber-tacticool sniper rifle because it would only disappoint you in the long run. Alot of money for something that people would say is cool, but would yield relatively poor results. There is one unless, however! If you load .303, then you have all sorts of options. Load your own subsonic loads (inverted boattails with low powder charges) and you will have a pretty mean urban rifle (especially with a supressor). My next project is to make subsonic 7.62x54R for my Mosin for a gallery/urban gun.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've honestly thought about converting a Mosin for Suppressed Tac gun. Most can be bought for under $100, the ammo is cheap and plentiful. My only problem is they don't have detachable mag systems.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I completely disagree with that. .308's do suppress well, and you can use any .30 cal can on a .303 without difficulty. Now, that being said, if you are looking for hollywood quiet then you will be greatly disappointed with suppression of large centerfire calibers. Lots of cans actually tighten up groups when mounted to an accurate rifle so that is a big plus in the "go for it" category. I don't know how much the OP has used a suppressed large centerfire, but before jumping-in with both feet, I would recommend that he demo some cans, if possible, or find someone with a suppressed .30 to give him some kind of idea of what he is getting into. I don't have a .30 cal can anymore, but I have plenty of experience shooting with one. I would say that it is definitely a worthy project.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I haven't shot a .30 cal suppressed rifle in a LONG time... so I'd like to have another go at it. I know this .303 kicks like a beast. I just don't feel like spending another $1400 for a suppressed .308 when i can only spend about half that and have a suppressed .303.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I've honestly thought about converting a Mosin for Suppressed Tac gun. Most can be bought for under $100, the ammo is cheap and plentiful. My only problem is they don't have detachable mag systems.
    Are you talking about something like this? :stickpoke: (no it's not mine)
    untitled-1.jpg

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My advice, save your money and get your self a good .308 bolt gun, you can suppress it later.

:+1:

I planned, saved, and prioritized for three years until my precision rig was complete. If precision is you goal, you can't be cheap.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    My advice, save your money and get your self a good .308 bolt gun, you can suppress it later.

:+1: Or go ahead and buy a 308 supressor and use it on this rifle until you get a good 308. It will still work without losing much of it's efficiancy 303 and 308 are pretty close.
    Second what VUPDblue said Supressors are cool but way louder than in the movies. I just sold my two 30 cals and supressor. It was fun but not Silent. Just WOW factor

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    :+1: Or go ahead and buy a 308 supressor and use it on this rifle until you get a good 308. It will still work without losing much of it's efficiancy 303 and 308 are pretty close.
    Second what VUPDblue said Supressors are cool but way louder than in the movies. I just sold my two 30 cals and supressor. It was fun but not Silent. Just WOW factor

Don't you have to submit the serial number to your weapon, as the Suppressor can is registered to THAT weapon? If I were to transfer it to a .308 legally, I'd have to pay ANOTHER $200. Not something I'd want to do. If I'm going to pay for the can's tax stamp... I want to do it ONCE.

And I know better about "Hollywood" quiet. It only exists in one place... Hollywood.

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Don't you have to submit the serial number to your weapon, as the Suppressor can is registered to THAT weapon? If I were to transfer it to a .308 legally, I'd have to pay ANOTHER $200. Not something I'd want to do. If I'm going to pay for the can's tax stamp... I want to do it ONCE.

And I know better about "Hollywood" quiet. It only exists in one place... Hollywood.

No once you are registered owner of the suppressor you can use it on any gun you own.
    BATF doesn't ask for gun serial or anything you are just buying an individual item

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I bought one for an 308 AR10 that I had and it looked great on there but was only soso quite. I could shoot though without hearing protection. Then I got the bright idea of if only I had a subsonic rifle.
    So I bought a 300 whisper and that was very cool. If I had my own property I would still have it for coyotes. I just recently got ride of both the AR10 and the wisper and moved on to new toys.
    Here is a sound bite and picture of the whisper. Hmm won't let me upload sound bite.
    It's a 2 meg file, well I shunk it down to 570 KB but says invalid file type. It's a wav file how do I get it to take?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom