• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Can someone please offer some insight? As to what I might try? I was punching paper yesterday I had my new Ruger Lgt wgt cmd which has factory sights on it. And my Sti cmd size 1911 with the newly installed big dots on it.

Shooting at about 20 some feet maybe closer to 30 feet. The sti shot about an inch low? I shot 5 round groups and it basically made what looked like a keyhole at impact. So I think my trigger pull and grip were not an issue? I recently switched to my thumb riding the saftey which has really made a difference.

To check my grip stance etc I ran about 100 rounds through the Ruger. At about the same distance I was clearing the red dot out of the center of the target. So I don't think it my trigger pull is causing the low hits with the big dots.

The big dots are fast from a draw. Am I asking for too much precision from them? Or am I just not getting the correct sight picture? Should the bottom of the big dot the (white circle) allign with the top of the I or should there be some gap between the circle and post?

Thanks

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    An inch is holding pretty tight for anything but bullseye, but yes, if you're doing everything right and they print an inch low, they probably just hit an inch low. Adjust sight alignment (not preferred), or simply hold an inch higher (if your eyes can discern that much). Your dedication to accuracy is admirable! (In before people tell you to try different boolits...;)).

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    XS big dots are for VERY quick acquisition, not accuracy. They shoot "MOM" (minute of man) instead of MOA.

There is another thread about them around here somewhere. I'll see what I can dig up.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I could be way off here but if I remember correctly your point of impact point of aim are for big dots are different based on distance but I could be wrong. Like with in 25 yards one thing and out passed that another... I don't know if that would impact your or not. At least not shooting low. Unless you are used to impact at the top of your front site post and this hits what you cover. Also if you are using point of aim point of impact sites and are used to a 6 o'clock hold you are going to get a "low result" so it's just a thought.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    XS big dots are for VERY quick acquisition, not accuracy. They shoot "MOM" (minute of man) instead of MOA.

There is another thread about them around here somewhere. I'll see what I can dig up.

I think I got it. Rain has stopped here so I went back out. This a.m. I put the center dot on the post versus the outer white ring and it went exactly where I wanted it consistently. Even from a draw it was pretty close. Ill take that considering I was not taking a lit of time to get on target.

Ran 100 rounds same results so I think I found the sweet spot.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think I got it. Rain has stopped here so I went back out. This a.m. I put the center dot on the post versus the outer white ring and it went exactly where I wanted it consistently. Even from a draw it was pretty close. Ill take that considering I was not taking a lit of time to get on target.

Ran 100 rounds same results so I think I found the sweet spot.

This has been my experience as well. You've got to line up the tiny center tridium dot on top of the post, not the bottom of the white ring.

With XS sights I've loosened my standards when it comes to practicing with them. As long as inn hitting center mass I'm happy.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I could be way off here but if I remember correctly your point of impact point of aim are for big dots are different based on distance but I could be wrong. Like with in 25 yards one thing and out passed that another... I don't know if that would impact your or not. At least not shooting low. Unless you are used to impact at the top of your front site post and this hits what you cover. Also if you are using point of aim point of impact sites and are used to a 6 o'clock hold you are going to get a "low result" so it's just a thought.
    I seem to remember this when I had them too. Everything 25 and in, use the dot. Everything 25 and beyond line up at the top of the dot or something.

Top Bottom