• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    There is a youth rifle team here in Illinois based out of the Bonfield Range. They would be shooting AR15 rifles which are provided. And traveling to different ranges from Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. Minimum age is 13 and my son is 13.5 now. But logistically when we move to Indiana we'll be about an hour from there.

Was wondering if there is something similar in NW Indiana?

dascollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    There is a 4H group that shoots .22's at the Chief Wa-Ke'-De range in Bristol and indoors at the Elkhart St. Joseph Valley range - it's the closest thing I'm aware of in the area. One of the top ranked state service rifle shooters has been instructing them, and would probably enjoy someone that age interested in service rifle.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Where at exactly in NW Indiana are you thinking?
    I'm south of South Bend and there is a Youth Trap group over here. I don't know any details but I'm sure I can find out.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The MCGC was going to have a 4-h rifle group use their location in 2011 or 2012. Don't know if it ever occurred or not. The 4-H group was/is being run by Purdue North Central.

Let me see if I can find the links/emails I had for them.

-Jedi

found this:
    http://www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/laporte/Documents/2011%204h%20shooting%20sports%20dates%20-%20Updated.pdf

join here:
    https://www.four-h.purdue.edu/enroll/

fyi
    That is about it for NWI (LAKE, PORTER, LAPORTE counties) for youth programs.
    I looked high and low in 2010-2011 for more groups for my daughter and found nothing.
    =[

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The Junior shooters you are referring to in Illinois are sponsored by their local high power club and most definately by the Illinois State rifle Association. WWW.ISRA.org They have an extremely active Junior shooting program at Bonfield, I pulled targets for them a couple of years ago at the Nationals.

Junior High Power programs in Indiana are run by the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association. Go to www.ISRPA.ORG for more info. I don't know of any Highpower ranges in NW Indiana, or I would have shot at it at some time. I too travel all over the Mid-West to compete in Highpower Matches. I would be willing to pick the two of you up the next time I go to MN or WI to compete...

We have a Junior High Power program at Ft Wayne Rifle and Revolver, but that is too far for you. Maybe Wildcat Valley, I am sure they have an active Junior program. I will bet they are an hour away too.

Did your son shoot in the Whistler Boy at Camp Perry last summer? Juniors at Camp Perry are actively mentored, encouraged, and recruited by all the Military rifles teams and members. It is a great experience for a young High Power shooter. Plus all expenses are paid for them. The girls kick a lot of butt there too, so it is not just boys.

Bottom line, any High Power Rifle club you take your Juniors to, they will be welcomed with open arms. Let us not let a interested Junior leave the program..

There are goodies that clubs can get from NRA and CMP that have active High Power Junior programs.

Kirk Freeman on this site probably has more knowledge on this at the State level. He is a Director of the ISRPA.

Last edited:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    sloughfoot: He isn't on the team. We talked to the group at Bonfield when he was 12 with the thought of pursuing it when he turned 13, which he turned in May. Looks like Bonfield would still be the best choice for location.

I appreciate your offer, we would like to learn more. When are your competitions?

We live south of Kankakee, IL now and will be relocating north of Kentland. Don't know when for sure, but before the school year starts.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Maybe Wildcat Valley, I am sure they have an active Junior program. I will bet they are an hour away too.

Wildcat Valley does have a junior program, but it's .22. Not high-power.
    Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club - Juniors

IIRC It's $15 a year (for NRA Junior membership, required) They provide rifle, ammo and targets. Not sure if you can bring your own firearm or not.

And depending on how far north of Kentland you move, it'll be 45 minutes or so on up.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Bumping for an update!

He joined the "Hard Dogs" the ISRA Junior's program. They provide the gun and gear and best of all AMMO!

So far we attended ISRA's highpower clinic and joined their Tuesday night Irregular league, where they shoot 1/2 a match each night. Lots of helpful guys there.

Looking forward to his first match at Bonfield on May 12th.

Our plan is for him to shoot at Bonfield all he can. And venture out to some of the surrounding ranges as confidence builds.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Illinois has a great Junior Highpower program. I'm glad your son is involved. I hope to see the two of you at a match somewhere. I will be the fool arriving on the Harley...:)

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Illinois has a great Junior Highpower program. I'm glad your son is involved. I hope to see the two of you at a match somewhere. I will be the fool arriving on the Harley...:)

How do you get all that gear on a Harley? I feel like a Sherpa shlepping to the range.

We'll keep an eye out for you!

Top Bottom