• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    ok i just today bought a yugo ak47 from century arms ona dci reciever but!! i hate the unfinnished feel of the wood and im not big on the terrorist / gang banger looking ak47's i want a more stylish look like th of red russian stocks or a strait blondie would be sexy too!.... any help or tips would be great thanks here is a picture for referance.... and remember ima all american grand-son of a marine kinda guy! i wanna stay away from that dirty bin-ladin style but love ww2 weapons:do2:
    toysthatgobang020.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/ShortFreak777/toysthatgobang020.jpg

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Lots of folks rub BLO (boiled linseed oil) on the stock and then finish with clear varnish or shellac.

Galahad on Survivors SKS boards does stock refinishing.
    I hear he is reasonable and good.

The last stock I refinished was a New Albanian SKS Stock.
    I used Walnut stain thinned 8 or 10 to one with mineral spirits.
    The stain doesn't show when that thin, until you start to varnish the stock. then it just hi-lights the grain of the wood.

My BIL is a cabinet maker and showed me that trick.
    Works great on light woods.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I used some RIT dye on my WASR stock. Used some stain too, but cannot remember the color. I also used the RIT dye on my Russian SKS as well.

PICT0405.jpg

PICT0402.jpg

PICT0418.jpg

PICT0417.jpg

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Clean the stock with minerial sperits (paint thinner).

LIGHTLY sand with a 400 grit sandpaper

Use MinWax Polyurothene finish. Lightly apply with sponge or rags wipening off excess. Allow to dry. Apply in several coats.

Should give a durable good looking finish.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    good tips whats this about linseed oil? and i heard sumtim bout tru-oil or sumtin like that..... that red color looks good still debatein or wich is less terrorist looking the blonde or the red both are sexy in my eyes..... and as much as sum are against gloss i want her to shine like spoils of war but prettier
    blondie? or red? and hmm how to do this? im such a noob...lol

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    Tru-Oil is awesome stuff if you want shine. Just rub it on with your finger and wait 3 to 4 hours for the next coat. About the 3rd coating is where things start to even out and shine. Keeping going if you want it to really shine. If you decide its to shiny you can hit it with some 000 steel wool.

Here are some pics of my Garand with 3 coats.

Garand001.jpg

Garand003.jpg

Garand005.jpg

Garand014.jpg

K31 with Tru-Oil. 3 coats and rubbed with 000 steel wool.

K31Out004.jpg

K31Out003.jpg

SVT 40 with Tru-Oil

PICT0483.jpg

PICT0489.jpg

PICT0485.jpg

PICT0490.jpg

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    good tips whats this about linseed oil? and i heard sumtim bout tru-oil or sumtin like that..... that red color looks good still debatein or wich is less terrorist looking the blonde or the red both are sexy in my eyes..... and as much as sum are against gloss i want her to shine like spoils of war but prettier
    blondie? or red? and hmm how to do this? im such a noob...lol

Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) will just add a nice look but will not protect the wood. If you want to protect the wood you need a varnish of some sort. Polyurothene is probably the most durable and you can get it in matte or gloss finish. TRUE Tung-oil is varnish mixed with linseed oil.

Check out WoodNet.net - The Woodworker's Online Resource - Forums for more information on finishing.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    to boldy go wher no idiot has gone before!

ok here we go .... 1st this thing is well made so well made i couldnt get the wood out of the metal but i did have some masking tape and i made a total reversal of my color idea and went with a red oak and a minwax satin indoor/outdoor poly
    im thinking it will favor the russian early akm stock
    heres a pic of my first ever! attempt at anything like this! hope i dont BUSH this up.
    toysthatgobang048.jpg

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Those pieces will come off with some work and might make it easier for you. Looking good so far. Be sure to post the finished results.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    im call it my R-A-Y gun... russian-american-yugo...lol its getting there these 4 hour waits are killing me not to mention it rained last night so 12 hrs later this stuff was still tacky feeling.... i just cant wait!! i hope i didnt mess this up i just didnt care for the nearly unfinnished refinnishing job the stock came with still slightly terrifies me that i might not like it my wife dosent she wanted me to make it bleach blonde....

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    ok this is it after 2 coats of outdoor polly and 2 coats of minwax simi-gloss o think im done here she is and i didnt screw it up yay!!! now its gotta cure for like 3 days before i can take her out! time to order some parts!
    toysthatgobang061.jpg

Top Bottom