OSUT 257: Spring is Finally Here. Bring on the Outdoor Fun and Grilling Season!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I've got 3 huge white pines that are probably 70 years old at least, and the ivy has taken over their trunks. Been that way for as long as I can remember. I have some out front that I do have to keep off the house (Bedford limestone). In fact that needs to be done again now.
    Pines have the ability to "poison" their surroundings, similar to walnuts, but only with acidity, not with hormones.
    I'm not surprised that big pines can take it.
    :yesway:

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Texmex for that similar sounding music is "conjunto." Which basically just means a band, group (conjunction).

If you explore more, you'll find that adaptations of rap, soul, jazz, country, pop rock-ish, but with the same sounds as typical conjunto (band) music, have become mainstays.
    I always felt that some of the old school Mexican sounded like a polka adaptation

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I always felt that some of the old school Mexican sounded like a polka adaptation
    True.
    All the timing, breaks, transitions, chorus and even chord structures and changes are pure polkas.
    I suppose I have enough German in me to appreciate some polkas. Got it from somewhere.

Lots (LOTS!) of white folk Mexicans, down in Mexico are of German heritage.

Not that Germans do all the polkas, but they brought some to this continent when they came.

Last edited:

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Miss Daisy passed on the 15th. Hoe cakes were my favorite thing she made. I was fighting the tears even buying the cornmeal today...
    I don't know you enough to offer any more than empathy and best wishes through this journey.
    I say it often, but the meanings adapt.
    Godspeed.

Top Bottom