OSUT 257: Spring is Finally Here. Bring on the Outdoor Fun and Grilling Season!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was going to replace the rectifier tube in Dad's old guitar amplifier and let my daughter play it, since her tiny solid state amp's speaker got messed up when a tool fell against it.

I have dozens of speaker drivers, but they are all 18" or 15" bass drivers. I don't have any spare 8" speakers lying around. The smallest guitar speakers I have are 12". I ordered one for her.

However reviving attempts to get my dad's old amp running in the mean time were halted. I noticed a couple of bulging capacitors. If you know anything about restoring ancient electronic gear, you know that is a warning of a possible nasty failure, and soon.

I went online to find the schematic and found this one.
    The thing this Fender Amp fan points out is that the purity of the signal this tiny amp is capable of producing is second to none for simplicity.

Notice the thicker red line traced in. That is the signal path from a guitar to the speaker system.
    There is nothing in the actual signal path, except one Volume Control and two Coupling Caps.
    It takes a lot more to make it all work together, but that signal path! Wow! As pure as a sound can be. Fender Champ amp from '67.

She'll have to suffer until I get all those iffy caps replaced. Ordered those, too.
    I have the tubes already from other things, but the rectifier tube is cloudy and burned looking.
    That was what got all this started up.

View attachment 351607
    1715207574910.png

Top Bottom