• jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I am a late seventies Eagle Scout.

By the time our son reached Cub scout age the organization had already changed substantially, about a 28-year gap. When we took him to an information night and I began flipping through the current Scout Manual and Cub Scout Manual I was shocked. It was not at all when I had, nor what I was expecting.

He went to one introduction event / meeting and had no interest. I loved my time in scouting from the beginning to the end, and I believe it had a significant positive effect on me to this day. I was not however going to force it on my son especially if it was not an equal or better organization than whenever I passed through its ranks.

I find the decline of scouting to be very sad. It is in concept an extremely worthwhile and needed organization and endeavor.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Better update the oath while they are at it to remove that morally straight part, if they haven't already.
    Probably need some updated merit badges too. Obviously expand that family one to include the whole spectrum of 2 daddy's, 2 mommy's, whatever. Then just get rid of those evil shooting merit badges, can't be promoting that. But keep the one on tying knots as that will be useful when teaching kids about BDSM. :rolleyes:
    Glad it was still a good program when my kids were young, but sorry for the loss to future generations.
    I assume the knot tying will be a hands on course for the merit badge. Then again I hope the knot course doesn't involve a K9, but nothing would surprise me.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Those mentally ill folks who scream for
    tolerance are most often the least tolerant of all.
    They never had any intention of be tolerant. They're angels of death rising from the grave of Marx coming to destroy our way of life one value and societal foundation at a time. They only wear the mask of tolerance because you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. The useful idiots who believe this is in the name of tolerance either are lying snakes or are harmless sheep obliviously roaming around in the open of the killing fields of Societal Darwinism.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I don’t support the scouts fund raisers any longer… the girls and “alternative leadership “ did it for me.

We no longer buy planned parenthood cookies from the girls either

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Are there any Baydon Powell Scout Troops around Indiana? About 10 years or so ago a Troop from south of Kokomo came to Elwood CC and tried to get the Board and Trustees to let them use the archery range a few weekends a year to practice archery and camp for the weekends. They offered to bring the Troop and work the volenteer cleanup weekends at the club.
    The Board and Trustees turned them down flat, the irony is,
    in the clubs bylaws. if the club shuts down and closes the 52? acre property goes to the Boy Scouts of America.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Unpopular opinion here.
    I have both boys and girls. We raise them equally — our girls are total tomboys, climb trees, collect bugs, shoot, camp, but all in pink and with unicorns.
    We tried Girl Scouts for the girls — they hated it, no activities and a lot of bitchiness.
    When we put the boys in Boy Scouts, our girls tagged along to several meetings, and begged us to join the Boy Scouts. They whooped all the boys’ butts in activities, sports, etc. just because we raise them to be curious and self-sufficient.

At the Jamboree, girls sleep in a different camp, and the Dads are super vigilant. Razor wire was suggested not as a joke :)

We quit Scouting recently because the organization changed — there was no responsibility or camaraderie or structure from the top down, other kids were not working to earn badges and their parents bullying the Master into giving away trophies. It was all about Corporate earning $$$ and less about raising solid kids. Guess parents also changed from previous generation.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    And yeah, the only fundraiser being “$40 bag of stale popcorn sent to you by mail some time later”, of which the troop made only $16, is absolute BS. Troops made more money from people giving them $1-$5 in change.
    We suggested renting a popcorn machine and selling fresh popcorn at IU events, and the top leadership went nuts — “un-authorized! Forbidden!”. Done with that organization.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And yeah, the only fundraiser being “$40 bag of stale popcorn sent to you by mail some time later”, of which the troop made only $16, is absolute BS. Troops made more money from people giving them $1-$5 in change.
    We suggested renting a popcorn machine and selling fresh popcorn at IU events, and the top leadership went nuts — “un-authorized! Forbidden!”. Done with that organization.
    If we use the @Leadeye mind trick we would follow the money to the top leadership…

Top Bottom