Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

Question Scout scope vs. regular scope

I'm wanting a general purpose rifle scope, which is better, and why ? Primarly a hunting optic for brush,hilly terrain, with most shots under 400 yards.

I think it depends on what you're after, caliber, and to some extent, how you hunt. I recently put one a scout setup on a 45-70 marlin guide gun that I hope to use for wild boar. I went the scout scope route for a coulple reasons. I did not have one yet and wanted to try one out, I liked the idea of fast target acquisition, and being able to shoot with both eyes open was also appealing. The extended eye relief on stout 45-70 loads doesn't hurt anything either(don't have to worry about busting your eyebrow open). All in all I like the set up for what it's for, and would do it again, even though my friends have mixed feelings on the scout scope. Even though I'm pleased with the scout setup on that rifle for hogs/enormous zombies, I have no desire to swap my standard eye relief scope on my 1895 .44. Different rifles with different intended uses. Good luck with your decision.

Regular scope wins easily.

Facts

Scout scope limits field of view
    Scout scope are more dificult to get mounted right with correct eye relief
    You wont take a scope to the eye if you have the regular scope mounted right, and hold the rifle rifle.

Mith

Scout scopes are faster than like zoom regular scopes.

Scout scope has anything to do with the ability to shoot both eyes open. That can be done with regular scopes aswell as scout scopes as it s a function of the zoom, not mounting
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Master
    I love my scout setup but I don't look at it as a real optic.

To me it is an advanced Iron Sight. I use mine on a marlin limited 44 mag. I hunt after the opening weekend as a still hunter. The opening weeked I am a stand guy. I hunt dense areas and creek beds mainly. Nothing for me is faster to get on target than the scout. I just bring it up and it falls right in line with my eyes. Like a video game.

Down sides
    1:field of wiew but at 2.75 it is fine.
    2: Some of them are 2-7 power but most are fixed. 2.75
    3: not the best very low light.

Upsides
    1: I can shoot a moving tire with a target inside at 40 yards rolling down hill.
    2: Nothing works faster to get on target for me. (Good for still hunting)
    3: lets me still handle the lever action gun with one hand on reciever

This article falls in line with my opinion

Scout Scopes

Its not that a scout scope will not work, its just there is nothing it does that a regular scope cant do aswell or better.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

full line vortex dealer

Its not that a scout scope will not work, its just there is nothing it does that a regular scope cant do aswell or better.
    I would not go that far.

The purpose of the forward mounted optic was multi-fold as per Cooper:

1. To clear the action of the weapon so that it may be topped off or unloaded without having to work around the optic.

2. To avoid the "Doh! Ribbon" above the eye.

3. To allow an advantage for moving targets.

4. The balance of the weapon is improved for some.

5. The forward mounted optic allows a fixed ghost ring sight as a rear iron sight.

6. The forward optic alows the bolt knob to be manipulated cleanly without interference from the rear objective.
    .gov cannot defend the borders from 8 year olds, those inside the borders are hosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    I would not go that far.

The purpose of the forward mounted optic was multi-fold as per Cooper:

1. To clear the action of the weapon so that it may be topped off or unloaded without having to work around the optic.

2. To avoid the "Doh! Ribbon" above the eye.

3. To allow an advantage for moving targets.

4. The balance of the weapon is improved for some.

5. The forward mounted optic allows a fixed ghost ring sight as a rear iron sight.

6. The forward optic alows the bolt knob to be manipulated cleanly without interference from the rear objective.
    Fair enough, Ill give you #1 and #6 as possible advantages. #6 would be on Mauser or other high bolt throw actions.

There is not advantage on moving targets, and after the first time you get a doh moment (everyone including me has had one) you learn to hold a gun correctly, and if your form starts slipping you get reminded to focus on it. I don't know why you would want a ghost ring sight, as its not like you can co witness, and see threw rings are a bad idea all on their own. I don't see how the weight being on your front hand vs between your hand could possibly help balance.

However +1 rep for you, because no one has ever made me even remotely see 1 possible advantage much less 2 possible advantages

full line vortex dealer

and after the first time you get a doh moment (everyone including me has had one) you learn to hold a gun correctly,
    Maybe you, but not everyone. The forward mounted optic prevents it from happening.

There is not advantage on moving targets,
    They used to run tests at Gunsite, skeet shooting with rifles. The Scout Scope proved superior in every way. Chief AJ also used to do this and he told me that was his favorite advantage of the Scout Scope.

Cooper used to say that the forward mounted optic had to be experienced to be appreciated. As most people do not want want to try new things (money/time balance), most people never try it and then rationalize what they have (see an infinity of threads here at INGO).

I don't know why you would want a ghost ring sight,
    So if the optic malfs you can remove it and use the iron sights.

don't see how the weight being on your front hand vs between your hand could possibly help balance.
    Yeah, a lot of it is subjective but it helps, especially on the quasi-Scouts that I've built up as they are chunky monkeys.
    .gov cannot defend the borders from 8 year olds, those inside the borders are hosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post

They used to run tests at Gunsite, skeet shooting with rifles. The Scout Scope proved superior in every way. Chief AJ also used to do this and he told me that was his favorite advantage of the Scout Scope.

Cooper used to say that the forward mounted optic had to be experienced to be appreciated. As most people do not want want to try new things (money/time balance), most people never try it and then rationalize what they have (see an infinity of threads here at INGO).
    For example lets use a 2-7 zoom range. On a regular mount you will have a larger fov than a scout mount every time no exception. Either can be shot with both eyes open, neither can be shot both eyes open without inducing parallax. But the larger field of view will be faster evenytime. I do agree that folks tend to swear what they use is the best, but the stats for the count mount just are not there. I have used scout scopes. It just made me realize how much nicer modern mounts are. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

full line vortex dealer

I have never used a scout scope and i can see the advantages/disadvantages of both. But i can say that i really like the 30mm 1-4x scopes. I have a burris xtr 1-4 on an AR and its very fast on low power and has enough zoom to hit bigger targets as far away as the 5.56 is good for. I now hate all of my 1" scopes for hunting. I would look at both setups and see what you like best.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast