• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have a Scout scope (2.5X Leupold) on one rifle.
    I love it on that rifle. Love it. I wouldn't want anything else on it.
    On the other hand, I can only think of a couple of other rifles I'd even want to try a Scout scope on.

On that rifle:

-It seems faster than any other sight. The best way I know to describe it is to say it's like a glass front sight- I raise the rifle, and the reticle is planted where I'm looking.
    It's faster out there than if closer to my eye. It's faster for me than a red dot mounted close or far. It's faster than irons.

-We all know that with optics, we are supposed to see the reticle on the target: one focus, as if it is actually there on target. The Scout scope is the first optic I've used that actually gives me that. With others, I can almost get that, but there is still a little little bit of seeing the reticle and seeing the target- two things. Not the Scout scope. To my eyes, the reticle is out there with the target without me having to "think it there".
    This is no doubt why it is faster for me, but this could be due to some goofy thing with my eyes.

-With me, there is no question it is easier to keep both eyes open when using it. With a conventional scope, I get pulled into it and that makes me fight closing one eye. I get it sometimes with a red dot too. I never get it with a Scout scope. It feels like the reticle is out on the muzzle like a shotgun bead.

-The above points, especially keeping both eyes open without effort, make it less fatiguing on my eyes when out shooting it for a while. Again, maybe that's just me, but it is a big point in it's favor for me.

-It's out of the way. With most rifles it wouldn't be the case, but this one is so light toward the muzzle that the Scout scope's forward position balances it out. It puts the center of gravity on the action, behind the scope. I can wrap my hand around to carry it there because the scope is not there.

These points match well with this rifle. It won't work that way on all rifles. Maybe not on most of them. They would be negatives on some other rifles.
    With a higher power scope on my heavy barreled bolt guns, I don't need or necessarily want to be looking past the scope. Getting drawn into it is probably a good thing.
    Most of the pluses only work at lower power. I don't think I could use one with any more magnification, so if I need more than 2-2.5X, it's time for a conventional scope.
    While shifting the balance forward on this rifle is a plus, it may be a big negative on others.
    As already listed, some rifles/mounts aren't going to get the proper eye relief. Conventional scopes are usually mounted within a pretty small window of space, but I've seen Scout scopes mounted all up and down the rifle. Sometimes it's because it can't be mounted anyplace else, and sometimes I think the owner just didn't know and thought any place would be OK. Whatever the reason, I think this may be why some people didn't like them- they couldn't get it in a spot that worked, even if they didn't realize it.

I need to add something. I like lower power scopes, and that no doubt helped when I tried a scout scope. My personal opinion is that many, or most, rifles are overscoped, and I have more scopes at 4X or less than above. Most people are used to at least a 4X scope, if not a 3-9X at a minimum, so going to a 2.5X scope will be odd enough for them regardless of whether it's a Scout scope or not.
    I was used to lower magnification, so that probably played a big part in me warming up to the Scout scope quickly.

Top Bottom