New Vortex optic -- Razor Red Dot (reflex-style)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The razor is the top of the line class from vortex, and i would put it up against any of the other top tier stuff. I have not handled the razor reflex optics, but i have put my hands on the razor tactical riflescope and the quality is impressive.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    these are not avaible to dealers yet. when they are im on the list to get one for a review. they will be avable in you choice of 3 moa and 6 moa dots

they are pricy, but i think they will be worth it for folks who want the best. street price will be 479. they should be avaible to this spring

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Wow, interesting, but you can just about get a real Trijicon RMR for that money.

i dont think the razor red dot is made to be a clone. i think its made to be a optic other folks clone. again its hard for me to say without hands on experiance. you see alot of folks talk about opics they have never touched. imo specs and reviews only give you 1/2 the true story.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    i dont think the razor red dot is made to be a clone. i think its made to be a optic other folks clone. again its hard for me to say without hands on experiance. you see alot of folks talk about opics they have never touched. imo specs and reviews only give you 1/2 the true story.

It actually looks more like a Deltapoint at first glance. You are very familiar with Vortex, would this be built in the US or is all of their stuff made oversees?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It actually looks more like a Deltapoint at first glance. You are very familiar with Vortex, would this be built in the US or is all of their stuff made oversees?

my GUESS is its made in japan along side the rest of the razor line. but im not sure. ill make a call on monday but i can say with almost certainty that is is not made in the us. very few if any optics companies are made in completly in the us. i know of no company in the us that polishes glass. im not saying there is none, just none im aware of. alot of companies talk about being made in the usa, but when you read the fine print they are assembled in the usa from parts made elsewhere.

to me as long as its not made in china your ok, the best place outside of the us is japan. alot of folks confuse japan and china. there are some top of the line optics made in japan, like the vortex razor and nightforce to name a couple

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    just heard back from vortex (saturday at 715pm) they will be to me late march early april and they will be made in japan.

a resoponce in 3 hours on saturday evening is pretty impressive to me. espicaially since they are at a trade show in texas right now

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    just heard back from vortex (saturday at 715pm) they will be to me late march early april and they will be made in japan.

a resoponce in 3 hours on saturday evening is pretty impressive to me. espicaially since they are at a trade show in texas right now

No doubt, sounds like it might be worth checking out, I am just not sure what market they are after. At only around $100 less than an RMR, and with what appears to be the same features, it wil be a tough road. I am all about the free market though.:D Thanks for the quick response.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    no problem, im on the list to get the very first shipment. mine wont nessessarly be forsale its more for me to test and see if its somthing i want to stock. ive personally tested everything i stock, and wont stock somthing i wouldn't put on my gun. plus how can i explain the positives and negatives of a optic if ive never used it.

ill keep everyone posted. from what ive been told the market they are going after is "its better than a rmr and a little cheaper"

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Sorry but my Trijicon RMR Dual was only 420 and doesn't need a battery. Street price on this would need to be low 3xx range to even think about pulling me away from an RMR.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    got the first one today.

my inital impression is this thing is built like a tank. very clear glass,

my main concern was that the controls would be hard to get to for my fat fingers, its hard to tell until i get it mounted but it doesnt appear to be as difficult as i thought it might be. i really dont think it will be a issue since i will turn it on its highest setting and never turn it off. battery life on its highest power setting is 1 year. i guess i can change a battery once a year pretty easily.

i got the 6moa version since i will be mounting mine on a glock but it comes in 6moa and 3moa

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    i guess i wont know for sure until i play with it, but i highly doubt leupolds is in the same league as the razor. the razors main competition is going to be the rmr

I agree. We tested the leupold and others when developing our red dot pistol program. The Trijicon was the only one to stand up well enough for rigerous daily use.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I agree. We tested the leupold and others when developing our red dot pistol program. The Trijicon was the only one to stand up well enough for rigerous daily use.

what did you do to the reddot? im hoping to play with it some this weekend, but its my kids 1st birthday:rockwoot:. wich probably means no gun time for daddy

Top Bottom