• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    My IWB is a hybrid. Leather body shield, Kydex against the pants. I like it a lot. Since it's IWB what it looks like doesn't matter at all.

For an OWB Holster, I think I'd like a nice leather holster. For the appearance, as well as helping to muffle the sound of a big metal gun banging against things as I walk around the office.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I currently have a Fobus OWB holster for when I am feeling lazy or when I decide to OC. I will probably order an MTAC for/with the reasons Lars stated.

I might also pick up a leather OWB holster for the same reasons as Lars. It will hold it close, less wear on the gun's finish, quiet draw and holster, and would look more 'professional' when OCing with a tucked in shirt.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I prefer Kydex for IWB holsters due to its ability to be thin and unobtrusive. A Glock is thick enough-- I don't like wrapping several more layers of leather around it. There are other minor considerations like sweat protection, faster draw, etc.

However, thickness is not a concern with OWB, so I like them in leather. Especially hand-boned leather, when you can see the details in the gun.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I've only run Kydex. First a Blade-Tech and now I'm trying a Raven Holster.

Do you mean an holster from Raven Concealment Systems?

I ask only because I have a few of their holsters and a nice IWB sheather for my Strider DB. Racen Concealment Systems make of of the thinnist kydex holsters I've tried (and I've tried a bunch). Their holsters also case your pistol to ride tightly against you body as opposed to having the butt end cant outward away from the body.

The combination of being thin and holding the pistol tight to the body make these ideal holsters for concealed carry. I regularly carry a Glock 21 with SureFire X300 light attached in a Raven Concealment Systems holster and they disappear under a t shirt.

Good choice.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I started out carrying in leather (Don Hume, Galco, Sparks, Kramer). Then, about 7 years ago, a couple acquaintances of mine started making Kydex holsters. I decided to give their products a try, and now I am completely converted to Kydex and will never go back. Even my BUG pocket holster is Kydex!

Kydex has the advantage of being thinner, quieter, more moisture resistant and more durable (think wear over time) when compared to leather, but what really got me was the speed of the draw. After I'd been carrying exclusively in Kydex rigs for 5 years or so, I decided to try out one of my old leather rigs again just for kicks. It felt like I was drawing the gun in slow motion! After that, I sold off my box of old leather, confident that my choice to switch had been the right one.

Both of my friends are still going strong in the holster biz:

RM Holsters.com
    JS Holsters.com

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I ask only because I have a few of their holsters and a nice IWB sheather for my Strider DB. Racen Concealment Systems make of of the thinnist kydex holsters I've tried (and I've tried a bunch). Their holsters also case your pistol to ride tightly against you body as opposed to having the butt end cant outward away from the body.

The combination of being thin and holding the pistol tight to the body make these ideal holsters for concealed carry. I regularly carry a Glock 21 with SureFire X300 light attached in a Raven Concealment Systems holster and they disappear under a t shirt.

Good choice.

I saw those at the 1500, but I didn't have time to stop and look at them closely. Pity, too, because I really liked what I saw.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Yes, I got mine made at the 1500 for my G19. Really nice guys.

Good choice.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Pam purchased a Raven Concealment Holster at the 1500 for her Sig P250. She has On the belt, and Inside the waistband tabs for it.

Looks like a top notch chunk of combat tupperware.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Pam purchased a Raven Concealment Holster at the 1500 for her Sig P250. She has On the belt, and Inside the waistband tabs for it.

Looks like a top notch chunk of combat tupperware.

Do they have a website? Because I'm far too lazy to Google it myself.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    PS... I actually carried it for half a day over the weekend, and found it quite comfortable at about the 4:00 position. The only issue I had with it is that any time I moved, my sweater got stuck on the gun, so I was constantly pulling my sweater back down, but I think that's an id-ten-t error, not a holster issue. :)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    try the Malabar Front, that's the store front. jay and the boys are great guys. they make a fine product. i've tried most, and i use the raven. i remember when the choice was leather or...leather.

for everyday carry, range use etc, kydex (raven) if i'm dressing up or going to a Texas bbq, shark.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I'm ordering an MTAC as I type. Hopefully it will be here for next weekend as I may be attending a wedding.

Top Bottom