• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I get a lot of reloading tips and tricks from INGO, so here’s my chance to give back a little tip. I hope you guys find this useful…

PROBLEM: When depriming/resizing on my Rock Chucker, 15-20% of spent primers always end up on the floor. The reason for this is that they fall through the front slot in the ram.

SOLUTION: Block the ram’s front slot from the inside.

STEP 1: Cut a piece of plastic out of a 2-liter soda bottle. Cut the piece to 0.75” x 1.75”.

picture.php

STEP 2: Roll the piece of plastic (the short way) and insert into the hole in top of ram.

picture.php

STEP 3: Push plastic into ram just far enough so the shell holder can be installed. The plastic will stay in place by itself.

picture.php

Here's the finished product view from the front of the press. Note the enitre front hole is blocked:

picture.php

Since I installed this on my press I have deprimed/resized several thousand pieces of brass… AND HAVE HAD NO PRIMERS ON THE FLOOR.

I hope you guys find this helpful.

:ingo:

Last edited:

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Do you know any tricks for taking the spent primer tray off to empty it without spilling used primers all over the place?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Do you know any tricks for taking the spent primer tray off to empty it without spilling used primers all over the place?

There is no way. That's my one complaint with the new style primer catcher on the Rock Chucker.

The only way is to empty it more often, unfortunately.

To the OP, repped for the excellent idea.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've never see a rocker chucker, but is there any way to align up a funnel under it to collect it and drop it via a hose connected to a bucket?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Great find.... now does anyone have a solution for wasting zero powder grains on a single stage for lg rifle? I speckled my floor doing some .243 the other night!

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    If anyone figures that one out... please let me know!!

I keep a shop vac under my bench and suck them out.also clean up the one that get away and any spilled powder.I have been told this not the safest practice but I have never had a problem and have been doing for years.also I empty it often.:twocents:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    While I don't reload, you have provided not only a great solution to an
    ongoing issue but descriptive pictures as well.
    Thanks for contributing your knowledge and experience to others.
    This post is what helps make INGO what it is!

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    That's a great solution ... I'll have to do that tomorrow before I start depriming a bunch of brass. Thanks.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Not to thread jack this great piece of info.

I've never see a rocker chucker, but is there any way to align up a funnel under it to collect it and drop it via a hose connected to a bucket?

picture.php

Cut a straw to fit inside the ram, insert like the OP did.
    I then used the top off of a 8lb powder jug screwed to the bench, it Dumps the primers right into the jug top. you can either set a bucket under it, or screw the cap back on.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Even better trick, back off on how far the decapping pin sticks out the bottom of the die just enough to "gently" push the primer out of the primer pocket. This way the primer won't "shoot" out of the primer pocket at 60 mph and end up on the floor.

The higher the decapping rod is in relation to the die, the less chance of "pulling" the neck of the case off center and increasing case neck runout. You can also put a rubber o-ring under the decapping rod lock nut and just tighten finger tight. This will allow the decapping rod to float and be self centering and not pull the cases necks off center.

1111-c-bullet-run-out.gif

IMGP7169.jpg

Or if your retired and have nothing to do and all day to do it, just go old school and take your frustrations out on the primer. ;)

IMGP7186.jpg

IMGP7185.jpg

Or attach a torque wrench to your press and set the torque one inch pound over the required force to remove the primer. :D

IMGP7173.jpg

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Do you know any tricks for taking the spent primer tray off to empty it without spilling used primers all over the place?

I find that if you try to lift the tray straight up or nearly straight up, it will fight you all the way.

The press is narrower towards the back and thus easier to get the tray off in that direction.

Try this: Move the tray as far rearward as you can. With your thumbs inside the tray on either side, flex the tray outward a bit. Tilt the rear of the tray upward and pull up and on the entire tray.

On my press, it reduces the resistance greatly. This allows me to remove the tray without spilling the spent primers.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I find that if you try to lift the tray straight up or nearly straight up, it will fight you all the way.

The press is narrower towards the back and thus easier to get the tray off in that direction.

Try this: Move the tray as far rearward as you can. With your thumbs inside the tray on either side, flex the tray outward a bit. Tilt the rear of the tray upward and pull up and on the entire tray.

On my press, it reduces the resistance greatly. This allows me to remove the tray without spilling the spent primers.

That does help! I also like FarmBoy365's suggestion of just leaving the tray in place and sucking them out with a shopvac!

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I bookmarked this back when posted and promptly forgot about it. It was one of those "I'll get to that someday" things. I was depriming some brass last night and dropped quite a few to the floor. I remembered this, looked it up today, and put the piece of plastic in place.

I just went out and deprimed 300 pieces and didn't lose a single one.

Great tip.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had the same problem with my Lee breah lock kit. There is a funnel on the left hand side of the press for the primers to fall into a tube. I found that you must put in the priming arm so they fall as they are supposed to.

Top Bottom