• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    I wanted to start reloading .357 mag. and need to know the proper primer to use. I'll be using Alliant 2400 powder behind a 158 gr. swc bullet. I currently have Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers, will these work or do I need a different primer?
    Thanks

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Remington does NOT recommend them....

"In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds."

^^^This is printed (VERY SMALL Print) on the Remington 1 1/2 large boxes.

You would be better with CCI-500, or Winchester SP primers...Bill.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you're loading for .357 Magnum, the manuals usually (there are some exceptions) generally recommend going with small pistol MAGNUM primers, as long as you're loading for full house .357 loads.
    This is particularly important to do if you're using the likes of AA#9, 2400, IMR 4227, or H110, which are a bit harder to ignite fully with standard primers.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What is the problem with a Mag primer and 2400???

I spoke with an Alliant rep, he told me to use small pistol primers with 2400...not magnum.

j, I do NOT doubt your statement ^^^ at all..What I do wonder is WHY??

Several of the bullet Mfgs. manuals recommend a Mag. primer with 2400 powder. 2400 is not known as a "Pressure Spike" powder, so what goes????....Bill.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash

Several of the bullet Mfgs. manuals recommend a Mag. primer with 2400 powder. 2400 is not known as a "Pressure Spike" powder, so what goes????....Bill.

Was told the loads were erratic...not totally sure I'm what way. I was on the road when he called me back. Probably should call them back and find out more.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Loaded .357 for 40 years, only thing I've used magnum primers in are top power loads with 296/H110/Lil Gun type powders.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Loaded .357 for 40 years, only thing I've used magnum primers in are top power loads with 296/H110/Lil Gun type powders.

And your right....not that you need me to tell you that. It's only with Alliant 2400. I will try to call Alliant Monday and talk to the rep again. Provided I don't forget, I will report my findings.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Most of the older manuals recommended magnum primers with 2400.
    The newer ones recommend std primers.
    I seem to remember a mention of this in either Handloader or Rifle not to long ago.

I've used both, and I'd be a liar if I said I could tell the difference.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have loaded plenty of 2400 with standard primers and have had ezcellent results. I have not tried remington though, just CCI and Winchester.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove

The answer you seek is about half way down the page. Primer cup thickness (to prevent flow back into the firing pin hole) only.

Apparently not magnum and standard. Post #6.

Remington 1 1/2 vs. 5 1/2 Small Pistol Primers

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thanks Dave...

The answer you seek is about half way down the page. Primer cup thickness (to prevent flow back into the firing pin hole) only.

Apparently not magnum and standard. Post #6.

Remington 1 1/2 vs. 5 1/2 Small Pistol Primers

I know that Remington has "A Thing" going on with it's primer selection...1 1/2s too soft for Mag. pistol loads=6 1/2's too soft for AR loads..HA HA....
    FWIW, I have bought/traded for Remington 6 1/2's, that new loaders have bought for AR loads, for a VERY GOOD price, and use them for most of my Mag., or Hi-Pressure Small primed handgun loads....Works GREAT so far...Bill.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Maybe I'm underthinking this whole thing, but why agonize so much about which primers to seat when the manuals have their data listed with exactly what primer they used for their loads, usually with the pressure readings thrown in for even more information?
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt, and the manuals recommend standard large pistol primers when shooting loads with powder that roughly duplicates factory loads out of it.
    When I kick it up and load with H110, the manuals recommend large magnum primers, and that's what I go with.
    Never had a single FTF or overpressure load with thousands of my own loads out of this exact gun in all these years since I originally bought it in 1988.
    It's not as if magnum primers cost enormously more than standard anyway.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Maybe I'm underthinking this whole thing, but why agonize so much about which primers to seat when the manuals have their data listed with exactly what primer they used for their loads, usually with the pressure readings thrown in for even more information?
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt, and the manuals recommend standard large pistol primers when shooting loads with powder that roughly duplicates factory loads out of it.
    When I kick it up and load with H110, the manuals recommend large magnum primers, and that's what I go with.
    Never had a single FTF or overpressure load with thousands of my own loads out of this exact gun in all these years since I originally bought it in 1988.
    It's not as if magnum primers cost enormously more than standard anyway.

I agree with you 100%. I was only posting information that I given directly from an Alliant rep. If you read one of my earlier post in this thread, I said I would call Alliant on Monday after work and report back. Go with what works for you. But for myself, if I don't have to stock small pistol magnum primers, and small pistol primers, then great.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Ok guys, this is what I got from the Alliant rep. Bottom line is pressure spikes. He told me that some people use magnum primers to get a little more velocity. He never gave a grain load, but a magnum primer will give you about a 4% increase in velocity, but a 20% increase in pressure. These guys have the equipment to test pressure and velocity. I don't have that equipment, so I can only go off what they tell me. I said I would call and rely the info...here it is.

Top Bottom