How many primers/bullets can you keep in a home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Was just reading that there is a law (?) that says you cannot store more than 10,000 primers in your house at one time. Is this true? How about bullets? Is there a limit there as well?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Never heard of that. That would only be 10 boxes of primers. I think everyone would have more than that if they reload.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Makes sense to me. Decades ago, our best local gun shop went boom. As I remember the story, an unloaded gun discharged into a pallet of primers and ultimately way too much black powder got involved.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    I know why now. I threw a tray of old primers( 10-20 ) in a small BBQ pit fire a month ago. It was a huge explosion. The fire ignited them all instantly. It blew the lid 40 ft out into my yard and completely destroyed my lil steel burner. Lesson learned. Hahah

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How much room do you have?

State Preemption should overrule any local ordinances, correct? Are primers (and cases/bullets, for that matter) still considered ammunition? Or, accessories?

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    So no more than 750,000 in a building in piles of no more than 100,000 with multiple piles to be separated by at least 15 feet?

Last edited:

BlackGun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I just bought three bricks (thanks, Buck Shot!) worth, one small pistol, and large magnum pistol and standard large pistol primers to go with my brick of large rifle standard primers, plus another half brick of large rifle, CCI all.
    It would be fun trying to get 100K worth, though.

Last edited:

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    No limits on bullets or cases as theyre inert.

Itd be fun amasing 750,000 primers

I think the atf has limits on blackpowder. I want to say its 50 lbs but i could be confusing laws there.

I dont remember if indiana adopted national fire codes for smokeless powder or not or created their own. If they didnt there are certainly some good powder storage recomendations there.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have the room to put piles 15 feet apart so that's not a problem, it just stinks that I am going to have to find a couple of other buildings now. This 750,000 primers in a single building thing is making me find at least 3 buildings to store my primers in and that is just a pain. ;)

Last edited:

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I know why now. I threw a tray of old primers( 10-20 ) in a small BBQ pit fire a month ago. It was a huge explosion. The fire ignited them all instantly. It blew the lid 40 ft out into my yard and completely destroyed my lil steel burner. Lesson learned. Hahah

Just thought I would put this bbq lid over here... And go change my shorts.

Top Bottom