Mini Trucks: What do you know about them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    As I was wasting time on the internet the other day, I stumbled across a law that was recently passed here in Indiana that allows mini trucks on roads.

Mini-trucks now free to roam the roads | Politics | NUVO News | Indianapolis, IN

Mini-truck state laws

For those of you who don't know, mini trucks in the USA are usually small Japanese 4x4 pickups, dump trucks, or vans. Popular manufacturers are Daihatsu (Toyota), Nissan, Mazda, Honda, and Mitsubishi. They are really popular to use on farms and as hunting vehicles considering they are low cost, four wheel drive, and can be extensively modified.

Do any of you own these trucks? If so, where did you purchase your truck and what modifications have you done?

Here are a few pictures of mini trucks in their original form and then modified:

DaihatsuHijet123.jpg
    94daihatsudump.jpg

d8ed035ecd570415bdfe336221798e3f.jpg
    MiniTruckDSC00881.jpg

TracksonTruck.jpg

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    JMHO, they allow "smart cars", and they are TINY ..... I think this is GREAT !!!!!

Now just to buy a FARM, so I have an excuse, to get one .....

At least they are a little bigger than a "Smart" Car. I think one these trucks would be very handy. The sides also fold down on the bed of these things too.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Saw em all over in Italy years ago, I could see them being handy but honestly I'd rather have a dump trailer and a med. sized tractor. But I only have 2 acres and anything much more would just be overkill.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    A farm I used to work at had some of them but we got rid of them and got rangers... A friend of mine has one though and I love that thing! We use it in the mornings when out hunting and stuff. We also use it when shooting, we will load up targets in it, drive them out and then come back to set up the rifles and get to shooting them. When going 500 plus yards it makes it super nice!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm much more used to seeing them in other countries, but they are awesome.

They are also called kei trucks, which is often a better way to find them for sale online.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i was going to get one but the ground clearance wasn't enough with out spending a bunch on a lift.....so i went with a Gator......here in Greene county we can ride them on any county road with a state atv sticker......

by3qt.jpg

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    A co worker had one a few years ago. He plated it and drove it daily. He said the hardest part is finding one that is titled. Indiana won't title and plate it unless it has been previously plated somewhere else. But that's just what I was told. We had a ball playing shenanigans on that truck. 3 of us where able to pick up the rear end and move it on many occasions and the battery is on the frame rail under the edge of the bed. We disconnected it a few times.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    My dad has one on his acreage. He's getting up there in years and it helps him to get around the place easier. They are great. Heaven help you if you get in a wreck.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Campus security had a couple of them at one of the colleges I attended. They were pretty handy for driving down sidewalks and between buildings. They were not plated and used only on campus property. Theirs were chinese. I could not feel safe in one in traffic with normal vehicles.

I rode in one a couple times, and at 6'2" and 205 lbs, getting in is tough, and once you are in, there is no comfortable way to sit. Because the wheel well uses 1/2 of the floor board, there was no space for a couple of size 12 shoes. My knees were pressed hard against the dash even with my legs touching the door and imposing on the driver, and I had to lean forward on my arms because there was not enough cab height to allow me to sit up.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    we looked at them for work and they are just too small for our needs and went with kubota side by sides. There used to be some dealers in the auto RV free magazine, have not looked in some time but if I had a choice I would go with a nice side by side, just for the reason of parts availability. But if thats what you want and the price is right go for it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Always thought these were pretty neat. Thought one might make a good "woods truck". Kinda like a side-by-side, but with an real cab. Never driven one, though.

Couple of them on Craigslist right now. $5000 to $9000. Cheaper than a SBS, larger bed, and now street legal.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw a lot of those when I was in Korea 92-93. Daewoo made the Bongo and Hyundai made the Porter I believe. I saw a lot of them flipped over due to excessive loads of cabbage.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    As a driver of a 20 year old plus Ford F150 I came to this thread to mock...I leave this thread wanting one of those little beasts...That would be sweet at the farm...Will speak to the wife when I get home...

Now how to convince her it was her idea????
    t
    Rick - I'm too big for them... but my dad has one at his place near Pekin. If you ever want to try one out

Top Bottom