• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    For a while I have known we had them out back and I took the approach as long as they are not up near the house let them be. Now guess what they are up near the house destroying the grass, and creating trip hazards. Any tried and true methods to flush them out and get rid of them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It is a lot of work that needs constant attention. Ground hogs are best shot or caught in Conibear traps. Conibears are dangerous and will kill anything that gets caught in them including dogs and cats, so keep that in mind. I put them directly over the holes they have going down in the ground.

There are several kinds of mole traps you can put out. Some work better than others. If you like chemicals, you can kill all the grubs and maybe worms in your yard and the moles might leave.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Moles? Long term, get rid of their food source: grubs. No food, no moles.

Ground Hogs? Shoot 'em, I guess. Or trap 'em and dispose. Not sure what else works.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have the spike type traps that work decent for moles. Had them taken care of then neighbor got one. Told him I would trap it. He elected to use grub killer. Then I got his moles. Have also watched a couple pushing through tunnels and got them with a spade or my .22 from close up.

I just shoot ground hogs. Have live trapped a few that were in town. Then I follow up with shooting them.

No matter what you do, do it now. Sounds like they have a colony and that makes it tougher to get them all out of there. Not sure on moles, but ground hogs make more than one offspring at a time and they all wanna eat and dig.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had a serious mole problem when we moved in here years ago.
    We treated the yards (ours and well into the neighbors with permission) for the food source. Next year they were gone.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    WQe had a serious mole problem when we moved in here years ago.
    We treated the yards (ours and well into the neighbors with permission) for the food source. Next year they were gone.

Looks like we are going to need more chickens and possibly some other Bug munching fowls. what surprises me is that they are also in the goat pen area, and we have one that is none too fond of uninvited guest. Anyone have any luck with flooding them out?

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Yard rolling and killing by hand is your most successful method.

I was told that earthworms make up about 75% of a moles diet and the grub control products will only provide minimal help.

I agree with the scissor traps. They work well as long as you use on fresh tunnels.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Also if you're looking for a dog, my jack russel is the most affectionate and loving dog I've ever had. Down side is the amount of energy they have. She'll wanna play for hours on end.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Themoletrap.com, kid and dog safe and very effective. I've cleaned up every mole problem I've had with the ones I bought years ago.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Mighty hard to beat these for dispatching moles, and unlike with poisons, you know that you got the mole and exactly where he is.

81FhYmN9suL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/ALEKO-CH619-...87470371&sr=8-1&keywords=spear+type+mole+trap
    Be sure to mash down the tunnel flush with the ground right where you want to put the trigger pedal for these traps, which will greatly improve your chances of spearing them.

Expat's advice about using Conibear traps is also excellent, but I have to reinforce his point about just how dangerous they are.
    If there's any possibility of a pet getting near a Conibear, you're better off going with setting up a hide, then setting up in it in either the mornings or the evenings for them to come out to forage, then shoot them with a .22 or something in the .223 or .22-250 category for a bit more finality.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For a groundhog, you can get these smoke bombs that you toss down the hole, cover it and the smoke will kill them. Supposedly.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Are these moles? I have above ground tracks all over my backyard. Everything I have experienced is below ground and the earth is pushed up along the tunnels. These just ride along the surface. I have never come across this before.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ^^^ Yep.

I'm gonna give a squirt or two of a castor oil/Caribbean pepper tonic this next year to see if I can run mine over to the neighbors?

Top Bottom