• ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    89 Yamaha fzr 600
    though I had it straightened out when I rebuild the carbs last summer. pulled it out of storage, hard start. runs smooth on hi/med. choke. low choke is rough, will not idle.
    number 3 carb has no response at high choke when spraying cleaner in it. (all other carbs will raise rpm when doing this) in fact, if it's on a low choke spraying cleaner it the #3 carb will kill the bike.
    took it apart, all 3 jets are clear so what gives?
    I will double check tomorrow that #3 cyl is firing but i'm sure it is under choke.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are pilot jets or part throttle jets in the carbs besides the maim jets. These are the ones you need to address.
    As to the #3 issues is the bike running an all cylinders. All exhaust pipes hot.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Did you separate the carbs from each other? If yes, you have a potential sync issue.
    Did you remove the idle mixture screw? Did you notice the spring, washer, and O-ring? Easy to lose items if you didn't know they were there

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Is this fresh gas? Had the same deal with my bass boat and found regular pump gas degrades extremely fast (as in weeks). That #3 carb is the kicker air leak would make the rpm rise.may just be the idle or the air screw extremely out of whack.

Last edited:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yes, the carbs were apart. Completely apart... There were missing parts when I took them apart. A few jets were not in as I recall. I got 8 carbs when I bought this bike... They are together complete and correct.
    It is firing on all cylinders.
    Mix screws were set to factory spec per the Yamaha service manual.
    I do not think it is an air leak at the boots or anywhere else because of the reaction to fuel going in the carb and it stalling. If anything I would say it needs to be leaned out.
    Also last night I covered each carb with my hand they are all sucking. They will begin to stall and readily recover when you take your hand off, except #3. Very slow to recover. So again I am thinking too much fuel not enough air on that carb.
    What say ye?
    I will mess with the mix screw and see what results I get.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Plugs and gas are good. compression test will be a bear. plugs were bad enough. Boots are not leaking. I messed with it most of the morning. I'm selling the bike as is, and i'm tired of messing with it.

Top Bottom