• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My son's house was broken into. Daytime burglary, we think between 12 and 3 PM. I think the police have a suspect, they came and took over 25 cards of prints. The (obscenity deleted) thieves took an X-Box and games, liquor, and a TV.
    My son is so angry he'd make Dirty Harry look like a pacifist.
    How do you get over the paranoia and the sense of violation?:dunno:
    Any ideas?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Doug, I'm sorry to hear about what has happened to your son. Unfortunately, it will be a while before he stops reacting at every creek in the night. He may consider motion detectors and a security system, though.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My son's house was broken into. Daytime burglary, we think between 12 and 3 PM. I think the police have a suspect, they came and took over 25 cards of prints. The (obscenity deleted) thieves took an X-Box and games, liquor, and a TV.
    My son is so angry he'd make Dirty Harry look like a pacifist.
    How do you get over the paranoia and the sense of violation?:dunno:
    Any ideas?

I don't know other than time and moving. I was burglarized once over 25 years ago and I remember that sense of violation very clearly.

I'm sorry to hear of your son's trouble.

Terry

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I recommend a new arsenal. Ladies go shopping to ease their troubled minds, so it must work. :whistle:

I recommend a trip to Bradis. Check out the vast array of "comfort food" type things—Sigs, XDs, Glocks, Barettas, CZs, Mausers, Remingtons, etc. Very comforting. ;)

I also recommend another weapons training course. Perhaps one that yields the Utah permit.

As our great leader's trusted advisor (rammed immanuel) said, Never let a crisis go to waste.:cool:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.
    He already owns sufficient armament; THANK GOD they didn't take any of the guns!
    Right now, he's trying to fit an alarm system into his already tight budget.
    Anybody know any good deals?

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.
    He already owns sufficient armament; THANK GOD they didn't take any of the guns!
    Right now, he's trying to fit an alarm system into his already tight budget.
    Anybody know any good deals?

Sportsman Guide. Just got a Shooter's catalog and here it is.

Freecam Security Camera Set With Bonus Dummy Camera, Electronics, Security Man at Sportsman's Guide

Hope this doesn't conflict, I looked and didn't see anything saying I couldn't insert this address in a post. If so, sorry, let me know and will pull it. But in my mind this is a direct answer to his question.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I used to live down by Bulter. My home was broken into twice, as well as my car and my roommates car. I then moved to the NW side of town and within one month I went outside to find my truck's windows smashed out and it was sitting on blocks.

I don't think you will ever get over the paranoia. I know I haven't! haha.

Don't count on the police for anything, each time I went to file a report they drilled me with questions as if I were the suspect. For some reason these "people" think that they are entitled to YOUR things. No one wants to work for anything any more and they just TAKE IT. I refuse to be a victim again, if I ever catch someone in my house it will be the last thing they ever did...bet on it.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Sportsman Guide. Just got a Shooter's catalog and here it is.

Freecam Security Camera Set With Bonus Dummy Camera, Electronics, Security Man at Sportsman's Guide

Hope this doesn't conflict, I looked and didn't see anything saying I couldn't insert this address in a post. If so, sorry, let me know and will pull it. But in my mind this is a direct answer to his question.

+1, you can spend $200 - $400 at Fry's and get some nice cameras. I have a Swann Bulldog with night vision on my front door. It records to my PC and saves onto a DVR. Fun to install, nice to have and funny to watch things you would ordinarly miss...

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    If he is on a tight budget, I would agree with getting a dummy camera, stickers, etc. It has been a while since I had a Brinks system but as I recall it wasn't that expensive.

Maybe it would be a nice birthday/early christmas present if you were able to help defray the cost of an alarm system.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    There are these devices you can buy for like $10 a device and they go on your windows and doors. they set off an alarm when the window is opened or broken and same with the door. We used them on the front door of the church I used to go too when we were downstairs. I know for sure they work. It is a good way to scare them off when the alarm goes off. Fake cameras are also good. Sounds like juveniles due to what they took. Same thing happened to my ex- bf only he got it 3 times in like a year and a half. Never did catch those guys. Each time they came back they took more and more. The last time they took his gun safe with guns inside of it. You could see the truck tire tracks on the side of the house. No neighbors heard or saw anything which is really hard for me to believe.

I am sorry for your sons lost and I dont mean about the items taken. the invasion and what it does to you mentally is hard to get over. Also a good guard dog is helpful is what the cops always say too.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    There are these devices you can buy for like $10 a device and they go on your windows and doors. they set off an alarm when the window is opened or broken and same with the door. We used them on the front door of the church I used to go too when we were downstairs. I know for sure they work. It is a good way to scare them off when the alarm goes off. Fake cameras are also good. Sounds like juveniles due to what they took. Same thing happened to my ex- bf only he got it 3 times in like a year and a half. Never did catch those guys. Each time they came back they took more and more. The last time they took his gun safe with guns inside of it. You could see the truck tire tracks on the side of the house. No neighbors heard or saw anything which is really hard for me to believe.

I am sorry for your sons lost and I dont mean about the items taken. the invasion and what it does to you mentally is hard to get over. Also a good guard dog is helpful is what the cops always say too.

:+1:

I use these on my doors, it's not much but they're loud and I'd hear someone coming in, hopefully I'd be prepared before they got to the bottom of the stairs.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ADE114/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00032AVN6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S59JBN0Y63GD06E2P9E]Amazon.com: 4 Wireless Door&Window Alarm,Home Security,Stop Burglar?Alarm?: Everything Else[/ame]

Top Bottom