• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You can't keep people from doing bad things. A security system is only going to make them work a little faster.

Get a GOOD camera, so that the police can identify the theives and arrest them. Hopefully you get your stuff back.

Things like a metal door frame and metal door work really well at deterring theft. Bars on the windows are good too, although unsightly. Maybe he could rig up something "I Am Legend" style. :D

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    You can't keep people from doing bad things. A security system is only going to make them work a little faster.

Get a GOOD camera, so that the police can identify the theives and arrest them. Hopefully you get your stuff back.

Things like a metal door frame and metal door work really well at deterring theft. Bars on the windows are good too, although unsightly. Maybe he could rig up something "I Am Legend" style. :D
    Set up your web-cam as a motion detector.

How to use your PC and Webcam as a motion-detecting and recording security camera – Simple Help

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have 6 cameras on my house. got some of them when i lived in an apartment and my guns came up missing even though the doors were locked? im not getting into that can of worms again, but I now have 6 swann cameras on my house/driveway.

All of my doors and windows are covered, my driveway is covered, and there are a couple inside in main parts of the house (hallways and stair wells).

on top of the rotweillers insides and other things i have done to make it a pain in the ass to breaking into or getting out of quickly unless you know whats where.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    My son's house was broken into. Daytime burglary, we think between 12 and 3 PM. I think the police have a suspect, they came and took over 25 cards of prints. The (obscenity deleted) thieves took an X-Box and games, liquor, and a TV.
    My son is so angry he'd make Dirty Harry look like a pacifist.
    How do you get over the paranoia and the sense of violation?:dunno:
    Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about your son. Tell him to leave Indy.

If he wishes to stay, tell him to project an image of something otherwordly, demonic, get a head on stake and plant it etc.

Most likely, the thieves are local, and were watching the routine of your kid, so he'll most likely be a repeat victim in the future.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    IMO, large dogs are hard to beat when it comes to home security. Plus, they become a beloved part of the family.

A peice of stake, and five minutes with the pup will cure your large dog's desire to bite me, if I desired action.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Folks, dont relay on dogs, unless it's an Ovcherka.

The best thing you can do is project security, or a sense of demonic strangeness.
    Perhaps even buffalo bill.

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    there are plenty of places to pick up decent cameras for cheap, wal mart(got mine for about $60 with a 2 or 4? camera monitor, cheaper than dirt.com also has some but if the burgler happens to find the camera & take the tape or w/e it will be worthless either way. security system may deter them but in the end it will be a while before anyone responds if you're not there. seeing as he is on a budget a dog(preferably rottweiler, german shepard, pitbull, doberman) and a few cameras would be the best bet(in that order) with a dog the easiest & cheapest training is to keep it in the house, put it up when people come over but be very social with it when its just immediate family. without the concept of strangers frequently coming around that dog will not recognize anyone other than the people that belong in the home.. anyone else will end up fubar. but if a dog is not an option security camers and other misc. things such as deadbolts, stronger door jams, security film on windows, motion lights.. etc will have to. there is truely and endless amount of possibilities but theres always a chance that a determined thief will get his job done

personally my dogs have always been the best measure, golden retriever outside will bark before you even hit the property 24/7 anywhere on the 5 acres that dog will know you're there before you even see him and if you make it past that you've still got 2 rotts in the house that aren't as interested in a stake as someone they dont know coming in the door

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    An alarm system is being installed. It will include a hidden, external siren to alert/annoy the neighbors so they will look out to see what is causing the racket. It will also include an internal siren of sufficient volume to make talking impossible and staying in the house nauseating.
    Can you get DNA from vomit?

I suspect there will be more practice with the XD and the 1911.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    personally my dogs have always been the best measure, golden retriever outside will bark before you even hit the property 24/7 anywhere on the 5 acres that dog will know you're there before you even see him and if you make it past that you've still got 2 rotts in the house that aren't as interested in a stake as someone they dont know coming in the door

my dogs are showing the same signs. unless they see me interact with said persons they are barking and jumping around trying to see whats going on untill they know its not a threat. bring your steak and try to get past them... as said above someone that doesnt belong there is more interesting then the steak they can have after they take you out.

something else to consider... someone trying to break in the easiest way may try turning the door handle to see if its unlocked or not. i have bells that hang around the door/handles to rattle if someone wants to mess with them anything and everything within reason to annoy or deter someone away from my house is the name of the game.

ive also read somewhere that some thieves that see a dog leash (like a 20 foot cable to tie a dog up in the front yard with) as a detour-ant to that house... and thats assuming they are just randomly picking a house and not watching it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Perhaps getting someone who an expert in the field electrian work

Have them rig a loud alarm, with various flashing lights inside, and red/blue flashing lights outside.

The would to be draw attention to the lights,sound, to pee off the neighbors.

Top Bottom