• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I just had to sign up for jury duty in Allen County.

I believe in the Constitution and liberty first.

I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

I do not believe in frivolous lawsuits BUT I do believe in punitive damages when someone is truly negligent.

I believe in the right of Jury Nullification.

I try to use logic, facts and data to come to conclusions instead of emotional reactions.

I do believe that most of the time I will not feel the love from one side of the adversarial process and will never sit on a jury.

Am I wrong?

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Baloo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Never had to sit on Jury Duty, although I am sure I am not a prime candidate that the Defense would want.

My mom got out of it by saying "I know a lot of Police Officers. I know they are lazy and would never take the time to write a report unless the person was guilty."

I do believe in Nullification, and you are innocent until proven guilty. Lately the Media and Public Opinion seem to all that matters in guilt or not.

slowman87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    I was just summoned for jury duty last week. I got there and there were about 40 other potential jurors. They called out 12 names first to sit in the jury box and get questioned, of course I was number 12 of the first 12. We were asked many questions.... it was just a situation I didn't really want to be in. After about 1.5 hours of questioning/discussion they announced about 7 names who could leave the box and go home and thankfully I was one of them. I'm sure they then called up another 7 people to fill our spots and went through the same thing again. Glad I wasn't picked honestly.

Followed the story in my paper and they found him guilty of attempted murder 2 days later.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have done it, it's a fascinting process. I made up my mind going into it that I would not let emotion drive my decision making, and would look at things as objectively as I possibly could. It's what I would want out of a juror if I were the accused.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    In Allen county remember to call the phone number on there. I was summoned 3 times and never once had to even show up and I actually sort of wanted to.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    No you're not wrong. That's exactly the way every Freedom loving American should think.

I would LOVE to be a jury, though I doubt I'd ever get past any kind of voidier with my "extremeist" view of Liberty.

The Judicial Branch is supposed to interpret the law, guess what part of government the Jury is in? IMO, the highest priority of any jury is to determine if the law is right or wrong prior to then determining if the accused is guilty or not.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No you're not wrong. That's exactly the way every Freedom loving American should think.

I would LOVE to be a jury, though I doubt I'd ever get past any kind of voidier with my "extremeist" view of Liberty.

The Judicial Branch is supposed to interpret the law, guess what part of government the Jury is in? IMO, the highest priority of any jury is to determine if the law is right or wrong prior to then determining if the accused is guilty or not.

Sounds right but try getting on a jury after articulating that in a courtroom setting.:dunno:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I was just summoned for jury duty last week. I got there and there were about 40 other potential jurors. They called out 12 names first to sit in the jury box and get questioned, of course I was number 12 of the first 12. We were asked many questions.... it was just a situation I didn't really want to be in. After about 1.5 hours of questioning/discussion they announced about 7 names who could leave the box and go home and thankfully I was one of them. I'm sure they then called up another 7 people to fill our spots and went through the same thing again. Glad I wasn't picked honestly.

Followed the story in my paper and they found him guilty of attempted murder 2 days later.

Why be thankful you did not get picked? What sort of juries will we have if responsible citizens (I'm assuming here) avoid jury duty?

It's a way you can have a direct impact on the law, if only in that one case.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Doug Stanhope has a great take on this. However, due to language, I won't post the video. To summarize, provided the case doesn't involve personal injury and directly oppressing another's liberty and rights, vote NOT GUILTY! Blew a .09, NOT GUILTY! So many examples to use.

Personally, the one time I was selected initially and then removed, I wish I could have served. Long story short, a 19 year old male, riding his wave runner on the lake picked up a female who informed the male subject that she was 17. A few hours later when they returned, the 15 year old female's parents were waiting with the sheriff. You can't expect someone to carry ID in their bikini, and she lied. NOT GUILTY!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

I don't know whether to be sickened or enraged at this.

Have you ever sat for voir dire? It's not normally that philosophical, and most of the questions require yes/no answers, IIRC.

Aside from the questions making sure you don't have a personal stake in the outcome of the trial or a personal bias for or against a defendant or plaintiff based on employment, avocation, or memberships, the only time I remember being asked questions about the law was if I could convict if the evidence proved guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I could, doesn't mean I will. ;)

I don't remember them digging that deep into one's personal views on liberty. I'm betting a smart guy like you could get it done. What might hurt you more is your professional status and educational background, depending on the charges. Or simply your sex, if it were a rape case. Can't control those.

I've received summons thrice, called for voir dire twice, and served once. Can't wait to do it again.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I don't know whether to be sickened or enraged at this.

Have you ever sat for voir dire? It's not normally that philosophical, and most of the questions require yes/no answers, IIRC.

Aside from the questions making sure you don't have a personal stake in the outcome of the trial or a personal bias for or against a defendant or plaintiff based on employment, avocation, or memberships, the only time I remember being asked questions about the law was if I could convict if the evidence proved guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I could, doesn't mean I will. ;)

I don't remember them digging that deep into one's personal views on liberty. I'm betting a smart guy like you could get it done. What might hurt you more is your professional status and educational background, depending on the charges. Or simply your sex, if it were a rape case. Can't control those.

I've received summons thrice, called for voir dire twice, and served once. Can't wait to do it again.

THIS.

I would love the opportunity to serve on a jury.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Those who think for themselves and would not be swayed by emotion should really consider it a responsability. If you ever end up on trial you would want the same for yourself, not a bunch of yes man jurors who are convinced by media propaganda. Lets say for argument you are attacked by 4 guys and end up shooting one and holding the rest for the police. There are now 3 witnesses against you and you will be tried on murder. Would you want to be tried by 12 people who thought for themselves, or would you rather the 1 guy who could have nullified it decided it was a pain and found a way to "get out of it".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Been called a few times, picked to be asked questions once. Answered them correctly, was dismissed.

The fat soccer mom and cute but idiot bank teller chick, got picked after they couldn't answer easy but worded slightly odd (for normal conversation) questions.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Those who think for themselves and would not be swayed by emotion should really consider it a responsability. If you ever end up on trial you would want the same for yourself, not a bunch of yes man jurors who are convinced by media propaganda. Lets say for argument you are attacked by 4 guys and end up shooting one and holding the rest for the police. There are now 3 witnesses against you and you will be tried on murder. Would you want to be tried by 12 people who thought for themselves, or would you rather the 1 guy who could have nullified it decided it was a pain and found a way to "get out of it".

Yes!

But they (from what I've seen in the 4 times I've gone and watched the selection process) pick only the emotional and barely made it through high school type.

Scary stuff for sure!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I almost got picked last year, I was in the running for the final 12 but the prosecutor was asking if we would be able to convict on a firearms charge (in addition to burglary) even if they never found the gun. They said they had a witness that could testify that it was a glock 17 9mm after a brief glimpse. I told him in the dark under those circumstances everything would probably look like a glock and I would be very skeptical of that testimony. For some reason I was released.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I was seated on a Grand Jury once and it ****ing rocked.

If you have the opportunity to serve, do it.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've been notified to serve on jury duty no less that 11 times in my life. I have YET to ever be seated on a jury. It seems that DEFENSE attorney's don't like former child abuse investigators on their juries. Or maybe it's because I had to testify in dozens and dozens of cases?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Murder trial in Marion County about 20 years ago....prosecutor asks me, "Do you think the state of Indiana must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?" - I said Yes. He said dismissed...I said yeah but...the judge says "YOU are dismissed." I left the chambers and I have never ever been called to jury duty again.

Top Bottom