• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I served on a Allen County jury under the old system when we might be called for jury duty for 3 months. During that 3 months I served twice. It was an experience I would do again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I believe in the Constitution and liberty first.

OK, no problem.

I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Well, that's the law.

I do not believe in frivolous lawsuits

Everyone SAYS that, but...

BUT I do believe in punitive damages when someone is truly negligent.

That's not the law. Negligence, without more, is not a legal basis for punitive damages.

I believe in the right of Jury Nullification.

I don't, but more importantly, neither do the courts. If you don't like a law, a court or the legislature changes it.

I try to use logic, facts and data to come to conclusions instead of emotional reactions.

That'll keep you off many a plaintiff's lawyers list.

I do believe that most of the time I will not feel the love from one side of the adversarial process and will never sit on a jury.

You can count on that- just make sure everyone knows how you feel so they can make an informed choice.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    To All,

I just had to sign up for jury duty in Allen County.

I believe in the Constitution and liberty first.

I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

I do not believe in frivolous lawsuits BUT I do believe in punitive damages when someone is truly negligent.

I try to use logic, facts and data to come to conclusions instead of emotional reactions.

I do believe that most of the time I will not feel the love from one side of the adversarial process and will never sit on a jury.

Am I wrong?

Regards,

Doug

Not wrong, but the prosecution will strike you regardless.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Murder trial in Marion County about 20 years ago....prosecutor asks me, "Do you think the state of Indiana must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?" - I said Yes. He said dismissed...I said yeah but...the judge says "YOU are dismissed." I left the chambers and I have never ever been called to jury duty again.

Sounds to me like no matter what the question was or your answer was, he had already decided to let you go! :twocents:

I just got a notice a week ago that I am now qualified for jury duty. Now I am just waiting to be called (and probably sent home! :rolleyes:).

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

In the initial post I didn't post my background in detail.

This is the third time I have been called to Jury duty.

The first time I only had to go down to the city county building once early in the morning. A bunch of us sat in the cafeteria for several hours waiting to be called for a civil case before being told an agreement had been reach and thanked for our service.

The second time I actually got to voir dire in a criminal and a civil case. The civil case was a woman who slipped on some ice. I was dismissed from the jury. The second case, a criminal case, I went through vior dire on the second time I was called I was dismissed because I had worked with the arresting officer. Personally, I thought the defense attorney was pretty stupid by asking me an open ended question about the officer to which I responded, "I worked with him for many monthes and know him to be an honest man with integrity who would not lie." I thought the open ended question was dumb.

I have worked in insurance so plaintiffs don't like me in civil cases. I worked as a corrections officer and am currently licensed as a bailbondsman. So some criminal defense attorneys don't like me in criminal cases.

No matter my past I believe in court everyone deserves the right to be heard and present their side with facts in search of justice - whatever that word means.

Oh, and I had to sue an insurance company too for an auto accident.

I would be honored to serve my community on a jury. With my background and thinking I don't believe that will ever happen, but I have been wrong before - Thank Goodness!

Regards,

Doug

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I was called last week. Domestic abuse trial. Prosecutor actually asked if anyone had any strong objections or feelings about domestic abuse. I voiced my opinion and how I was raised. Was shocked no one else commented how wrong it was. They let me go home.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've had the questionnaire a couple of times, sat voir dire once. Be honest and seem intelligent, especially if you're interested in the process, and they'll send you home. It's frustrating, actually; if I were up for trial I'd want people like me on the jury.

Winner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Louisville Kentucky
    I think they should have people volunteer that want to do it.So the people that are called don't have to miss work.Then give them numbers when they enter the building and randomly call twelve numbers and however many alternates and not ask any questions ,then start the trial.Also they should hold court twenty four hours a day so a person could schedule around work.That way they might get caught up.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I think every American should participate in a jury as I feel it's part of our civil duty.

I've been on two juries and the second time I was elected jury foreman.

Once the case was finished and we went to deliberate and in my mind the person was guilty. I requested a white board cause I wanted to list all the reasons the person was guilty and once we were done with our list it was quite evident there were way more pros than cons that the person was guilty. This made the voting easy for everyone.

The case was about a person who stole a semi tracker who claimed he was hired to drive it some place. Problem was he didn't have any keys so he hot-wired the semi and took it upon himself to drive it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I still haven't been called.

I remember that my friends mother served on a civil case once. I forget the details but she said the hardest part for the whole jury was the fact that it was two (2) families of complete idiots suing and counter-suing. Nobody on the jury believed anything either side said. So what do you do?

I do not think I would appreciate such a scenario.

Regards,

Doug

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was called once or twice when I was away in college. I was excused due to being 3.5 hours away from home.

Got called in to one of the Marion County courts 5-6 years ago. I got to the voir dire in that one - and was excused by one of the attorneys. Don't know which one as several of us were dismissed at the same time after a council conference.

I rec'd a Federal court jury duty questionnaire in the mail a few years ago. Never heard back. Probably wouldn't be called beyond that, though, considering my B-I-L is a federal LEO.

-J-

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't, but more importantly, neither do the courts. If you don't like a law, a court or the legislature changes it.

May I ask why you feel that way?

dont vote..no jury duty

They used to go by voter registration, IN changed that a few years ago (can't remember when). They now go by BMV DL/ID list. At least if I remember right and they haven't changed it since then. If they have I'm sure I'll be corrected soon.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    IMO, the highest priority of any jury is to determine if the law is right or wrong prior to then determining if the accused is guilty or not.

It is the judge who has the sole responsibility of interpreting the appropriate law and instructing the jury accordingly.
    The jury's responsibility is to determine the facts as they relate to the case, not whether or not the law is right or wrong.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but the fact of the matter is that the modern judicial system is set up like I described.
    When you sit on a jury, you will be instructed on what is allowed to be discussed, and the "right or wrong" of the law is not one of those things.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    It is the judge who has the sole responsibility of interpreting the appropriate law and instructing the jury accordingly.
    The jury's responsibility is to determine the facts as they relate to the case, not whether or not the law is right or wrong.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but the fact of the matter is that the modern judicial system is set up like I described.
    When you sit on a jury, you will be instructed on what is allowed to be discussed, and the "right or wrong" of the law is not one of those things.
    Really?:n00b:
    Indiana Constitution, Article 1, Section 19:
    In all criminal cases whatever, the jury shall have the right to determine the law and the facts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

Jury Nullification?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Really?:n00b:
    Indiana Constitution, Article 1, Section 19:
    In all criminal cases whatever, the jury shall have the right to determine the law and the facts.

Wow, I didn't know that! Learn something new every day, as they say.

I'm not an expert. As a matter of fact, I got my information from wikipedia here. And yes, I know wikipedia is not the best source for information. But as is with everything legal, there is room for interpretation.

There's an interesting discussion of this very article and section of the Indiana Constitution here.

Top Bottom