• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If the group's target is cities with stricter gun laws, they would be waisting their resources in Indiana.

Overall, I think it's a bad idea. If they give these shotguns away, they will end up in crimes and guess who will get the blame? If a person cannot save a few dollars a month to get a basic shotgun, then I would say the person doesn't need one. There are too many free lunches these days and just because "they" do it, doesn't mean the practice should be duplicated.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    ObamaGun to go with your ObamaPhone

If the group's target is cities with stricter gun laws, they would be waisting their resources in Indiana.

Overall, I think it's a bad idea. If they give these shotguns away, they will end up in crimes and guess who will get the blame? If a person cannot save a few dollars a month to get a basic shotgun, then I would say the person doesn't need one. There are too many free lunches these days and just because "they" do it, doesn't mean the practice should be duplicated.
    for starters to both of you. these people have to go through a background check and registration like anyone going into a gun store. Second, this group has nothing to do with Obama. A college student started this group as a study at first. The neighborhoods they target are high crime areas and have nothing to do with gun restrictions. Before criticizing a program at least have half a clue what it is.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    for starters to both of you. these people have to go through a background check and registration like anyone going into a gun store. Second, this group has nothing to do with Obama. A college student started this group as a study at first. The neighborhoods they target are high crime areas and have nothing to do with gun restrictions. Before criticizing a program at least have half a clue what it is.

There is no registration In Indiana.

And as others have said. This is a bad idea. The shotgun they provide is not an adequate shotgun for home defense. They are single shot break action shotguns. I could go into a long post about this But Vuurwapen blog does a great job of explaining it for me.

Why I Don’t Like The “Armed Citizen Project” « Vuurwapen Blog

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    so you are saying that a break down shotgun is far worse than having nothing at all? I am starting to see why i have been spending more time on other forums. you guys make no damn sense at all around here.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I'm not criticizing the program in an effort to be negative. I'm simply providing feedback according to my own observations.

I did not state the program had anything to do with Obama. I inferred a similarity, but did not say anything about Obama. Also, it doesn't matter who started the program or even why. Great intentions produce wrong outcomes.

Additionally, I did not mention anything about restrictions, so I'm not sure to what you are are referring concerning restrictions. Just because these are high crime areas, does that mean it's a good idea to GIVE away shotguns simply because the program requires training? What do you see the outcome of this program being? Lastly, what do you thing will happen when/if even one of these guns ends up in the wrong hands and a crime occurs?

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Interesting to read his blog, thanks for posting. Yeah, I agree with some of the others. There are enough things that could go wrong with this that it could blow up on all of the parties involved.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    so you are saying that a break down shotgun is far worse than having nothing at all? I am starting to see why i have been spending more time on other forums. you guys make no damn sense at all around here.

A single-shot break down can be operated almost as fast as a semi-automatic with enough training and practice.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    AnimalMunch.gif

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    so are you saying that these people are not entitled to the same 2nd amendment rights that you have? This group is helping people who may not otherwise be able to afford a weapon have something to at least give a chance for defense in their home. Any gun could end up in the wrong hands regardless of how it was obtained. It has been proven that the more law abiding citizens there are with weapons for defense in an area the crime rate will drop in such areas. If they pass a background check what is the problem? seriously. the Government and your taxes are not paying for these in any way so why deny someone who passes the same checks you do from owning a gun?

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth

so are you saying that these people are not entitled to the same 2nd amendment rights that you have? This group is helping people who may not otherwise be able to afford a weapon have something to at least give a chance for defense in their home. Any gun could end up in the wrong hands regardless of how it was obtained. It has been proven that the more law abiding citizens there are with weapons for defense in an area the crime rate will drop in such areas. If they pass a background check what is the problem? seriously. the Government and your taxes are not paying for these in any way so why deny someone who passes the same checks you do from owning a gun?

Purple... Learn what it means before popping your mouth off.

I believe these people are entitled to protect themselves just like anyone else. However I do believe that if you can not afford to purchase the weapon you don't deserve the weapon. What good is a Gun that you can't afford to put ammo in?

In short... I disagree with you and your logic

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    ok got it poor = 2nd amendment does not apply to you. holy crap man.

How the f do you get that from what I just said.

Can't reason with stupid I guess :ugh:

Again... If you can not afford it you shouldn't have it. I can't afford a new Corvette, so should someone give me a free one the grounds that it would make me happy? You know... the pursuit of Happiness and all that jazz? There are a host of other reasons that this is a bad idea, but this is the one you've chosen to stand for? They are poor and can't afford to defend themselves?

F that, get a job, go to school, learn a trade. Doesn't matter, it is up to the individual to better themselves and make it in the world. My guess is that MOST people on here did not have things GIVEN to them... they worked for it like I did.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I see your point, but let me explain something that I've witnessed first-hand in my life. It's a "good" thing to provide food to those who are hungry, right? So, what do you do when you see the food stamps provided to those people being sold two-for-one on the corner and then the proceeds are taken into the liquor store? Would it have not been better to give those people a job and allow the to work for the money. It would still be their choice to sell them, but it's less likely someone will sell something they worked for with such disregard of value.

Also, if a person wants a gun, one can be obtained by selling something of value to garner the funds. Are you in a position to tell me that those in line for this program do not have a television, cell phone, iPad/iPhone or anything they can sell in order to purchase a $200 shotgun?

I brought up the part about ending up in the wrong hands, because I've experienced how people who qualify for programs are encouraged to apply by those who don't and then take the item or benefit for themselves. I've seen this done with cheese, school lunches, bus passes, etc.

So, I'm not speaking as one who is looking down on anyone! There may be some who could really use this program, but what is the benefit of giving the shotgun away instead of requiring some form of payment, even if it's cleaning up at the range for a period of time? I'm speaking as one who lived this life and can honestly say that a hand up is better than a handout eight days a week and 367 days a year.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Que i speak from experience as well. I was on food stamps for years because of underpaying jobs. I could barely afford my bills and most of the time i couldn't even do that. A program like this would have at least given me a chance to have something to protect my family. And yes we had a tv that was old as hell and would have sold for absolutely nothing and then my kids wouldn't have had one at all. Luckily my dad bought me a 20 ga 870 one x-mas so i had that then. Do not group those that abuse the system with all who have been in the system. I am now in a spot where my wife and I have been buying firearms on our own thankfully things got better, but for a long time we were in the group you speak of but are not criminals and also would never let our guns end up in the wrong hands.

Yes sorry for being a bit passionate over this but it is no different than the mindset of gun control freaks saying that since one person did something horrible ever person is guilty as well. Just because some abuse the system and can't be trusted doesn't mean they all are like that. I think the question is where does the line get drawn? I don't think my gun rights should be touched because a criminal killed somebody with a gun. I also don't think everyone on a government program should be judged based on the actions of some.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que i speak from experience as well. I was on food stamps for years because of underpaying jobs. I could barely afford my bills and most of the time i couldn't even do that. A program like this would have at least given me a chance to have something to protect my family. And yes we had a tv that was old as hell and would have sold for absolutely nothing and then my kids wouldn't have had one at all. Luckily my dad bought me a 20 ga 870 one x-mas so i had that then. Do not group those that abuse the system with all who have been in the system. I am now in a spot where my wife and I have been buying firearms on our own thankfully things got better, but for a long time we were in the group you speak of but are not criminals and also would never let our guns end up in the wrong hands.

Yes sorry for being a bit passionate over this but it is no different than the mindset of gun control freaks saying that since one person did something horrible ever person is guilty as well. Just because some abuse the system and can't be trusted doesn't mean they all are like that. I think the question is where does the line get drawn? I don't think my gun rights should be touched because a criminal killed somebody with a gun. I also don't think everyone on a government program should be judged based on the actions of some.

I have no problem with passion and I respect your point of view. You stated that your father bought you a 20-guage. I just believe their is an inherent sense of self-accomplishment that comes from working to obtain something.

Let's look at this from another point of view. None of my family have ever had to shoot anyone. I'm not sure if you have the same experience, but if so, what would be the difference from having a gun given to someone right now, versus them having to work for months to get one? The now-mentality is what I don't agree with.

I'm not trying to lump everyone into the same pile. I'm simply pointing out the differences in ideals and what I've come to realize is the better choice of direction.

I believe government programs are not bad, but they produce bad results. Just as a person can never get stronger lifting no weight, a person cannot truly be self-sufficient without working hard. Our government has provided too much milk and not made our citizens eat the proverbial meat. This is just how I see things.

BTW, I see your icon. Those aren't given away, but are worked for! ;)

Top Bottom