• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    I was watching "Gangland" tonight and they made a mention of someone getting charged with 'illegal possession of body armor'.

What does Indiana say about civilian body armor? I don't own any.... I'm more curious why it would ever be illegal.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Some states have laws that prohibit its citizens to own or wear body armor, Indiana isn't one of those states.

eta: Cwood mentions that wearing it in the commission of a crime might make it illegal, but I am not aware of that.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's illegal to posses during the commission of a felony. . . May also be illegal to posses after being convicted of said felony.

ETA: Cwood is quick. . .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    SOURCE: Indiana Code 35-47-5
    IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    Sec. 13. (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet
    resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide
    protection from weapons or bodily injury.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor
    while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a
    Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.227-1996, SEC.1.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    another retarded law that the politicians wasted their time on (on OUR dime). if someone is robbing a bank, is getting charged with possession of body armor during a crime gonna be of concern to them? lol

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    another retarded law that the politicians wasted their time on (on OUR dime). if someone is robbing a bank, is getting charged with possession of body armor during a crime gonna be of concern to them? lol

Obviously not. However, it is yet another thing they can be charged with.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I was watching episodes of Dallas SWAT on Hulu.com and they said that it was illegal for convicted felons to possess body armor too. I also learned that most people that they serve warrants on have either .380 pistols or AK47s... but they call the AK47s SKS'es (sic) and they refer to anything that isn't a single shot .22 or a shot gun as an Assault Rifle, except for their own Assault Rifles, which are actually Commando Guns.....

Anyways, I am buying some before it becomes illegal, lol.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I was watching episodes of Dallas SWAT on Hulu.com and they said that it was illegal for convicted felons to possess body armor too. I also learned that most people that they serve warrants on have either .380 pistols or AK47s... but they call the AK47s SKS'es (sic) and they refer to anything that isn't a single shot .22 or a shot gun as an Assault Rifle, except for their own Assault Rifles, which are actually Commando Guns.....

Anyways, I am buying some before it becomes illegal, lol.

And Kirk would say something witty about Texas.

Anyways, its rare that the media call an AK an SKS, typically it is the other way around (they call an SKS an AK). I do find criminal choices in weapons hilarious sometimes. I remember a Gangland where one of the guys was talking about carrying a .32 in the toe of his boot. Really? That is going to do you a lot of good!

BrandonM

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    SOURCE: Indiana Code 35-47-5
    IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor
    while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a
    Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.227-1996, SEC.1.

:yesway: :rules:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So do prosecutors wait until after the bank robbing conviction has been reached before issuing the additional charge of wearing body armor in commission of a crime? You can't have the latter without the former.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    WOW! that blows my mind :n00b: I mean they can regulate the material of ones clothing? Interesting. Too far.

Josh, I don't know if I would go so far as to categorize armor as clothing, like stated no specific material is mentioned, but as someone who makes and sells (revolutionary armor by the way) armor, there is almost no armor out there that you could or would wear as clothing. It's definitely an accessory, worn specifically for one purpose. I currently only sell company products to Mil/LEO due to each states laws being so different and not having the time to do a full background check on every order we get. I think in time we'll sell to civilians, but for now...liability.

Having said all that if you or anyone you know is quite interested, I do have some extra personally owned armor (very good) I might be willing to sell or trade :):

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Josh, I don't know if I would go so far as to categorize armor as clothing, like stated no specific material is mentioned, but as someone who makes and sells (revolutionary armor by the way) armor, there is almost no armor out there that you could or would wear as clothing. It's definitely an accessory, worn specifically for one purpose. I currently only sell company products to Mil/LEO due to each states laws being so different and not having the time to do a full background check on every order we get. I think in time we'll sell to civilians, but for now...liability.

Having said all that if you or anyone you know is quite interested, I do have some extra personally owned armor (very good) I might be willing to sell or trade :):

Actually how else would you define body armor?

They are restricting materials when they restrict body armor, as the actual design is rarely as effective as the material (in most cases).

I don't think any states restrict it, simply the use of it when commiting a felony.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

Actually how else would you define body armor?

They are restricting materials when they restrict body armor, as the actual design is rarely as effective as the material (in most cases).

I don't think any states restrict it, simply the use of it when commiting a felony.

I get the point you guys are trying to make, but unless your wearing a shirt made of nano-material (which exists, bullet resistant shirts do exist), I'm just saying that without putting the law under a microscope armor wouldn't really be classified as clothing - in lay-mans terms. Having worked quite in depth with composite materials and most of the materials used in making armor, I can't imagine anyone using it as clothing. Not to mention, most ballistic material is useless without proper processing or a silly amount of layering. Anyone who considers DAPS, plates, or a vest "clothing" is going a bit too deep in my opinion.

Also, you'd be surprised, the design of armor can be just as important as the materials used!

Top Bottom