Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Marksman

Columbus passes ban on carrying bb guns

Maybe we should all chip in get a billboard that says, "Which part of 'Shall not be infringed upon' do you not understand?"

Sounds like the petulant sibling with a legalistic mindset. When ordered to stop touching his sister, he just starts hovering his hands inches from her face, saying "I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you." Columbus knows that if they tried to ban real firearms, they'd have to name their city administrative building the Guy Relford Institute for Firearm Freedom, so they throw a hissy fit by banning BB guns.
    "—And then we unleash the volcanoes!"

Really? BB guns? What will they think of next?
    "Common sense is not so common."- Voltaire

Wow that is even more strict than CA IIRC. I remember it was a crime to give a minor a BB gun. And you couldn't shoot them in almost every city limits. But air soft and paintball were fine. I remember having an airsoft battle with my brother. We had the clear and orange handguns. A cop came out for a 911 call from a neighbor who saw us from her window. Said we were shooting guns. Cop just said oh those are airsoft guns, my son has one of those. And left.

I don't know how paintball and airsoft could pertain to the 2nd Amendment. I think air rifles could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    I dont expect some ****ing hick from Indiana to get how the civilized world actually works, but you go ahead and keep thinking more guns will solve the issue.

I get the reasoning behind it. They had a rash of vandalism incidents where kids were shooting BB/pellet guns and paintballs at houses, cars, etc., so they "have to do something!"

More nanny state BS.
    Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war!

A tactical retreat is not a bad response to a surprise assault, you know. First you survive. Then you choose your own ground. Then you counterattack.
    Lois McMaster Bujold, A Civil Campaign, 1999

Marksman
    On the news segment I saw, the police were pushing it because of all the "man with a gun" calls they were getting and were worried about what would happen if someone got shot.

Is a young person playing with a bb gun hard to differentiate from an active shooter with a real firearm for not only average Joe Citizen but the police too? I mean that question in all seriousness - I've seen young people running around shooting air rifles / airsoft and have never thought of calling 911.

It's because of the "like real firearms, dur dur dur" and "they're taking off/painting over the orange tip" that "our officers only have a split second to decide if it's real or not" that they're doing this, or so they say.

I'm sure the MWAG calls aren't being asked if they're hearing shots or just seeing kids running around with guns. Y'know, because all those airsoft/BB/paintball guns go bang just like my EDC sidearm does.
    Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war!

A tactical retreat is not a bad response to a surprise assault, you know. First you survive. Then you choose your own ground. Then you counterattack.
    Lois McMaster Bujold, A Civil Campaign, 1999

Quote Originally Posted by nate1865 View Post
    On the news segment I saw, the police were pushing it because of all the "man with a gun" calls they were getting and were worried about what would happen if someone got shot.

Is a young person playing with a bb gun hard to differentiate from an active shooter with a real firearm for not only average Joe Citizen but the police too? I mean that question in all seriousness - I've seen young people running around shooting air rifles / airsoft and have never thought of calling 911.
    At first I was like because were BB guns being carried some kind of epidemic issue these days??? Then I read the above comment. On the LEO training side yes, an Officer or armed citizen has to make a split second decision. However a little bit of observation/restraint before someone jumps to conclusions(make sure you/they actually saw what you think you saw) would benefit everyone but that's not the norm these days.

I feel the problem is society wide by both Joe/Jane Public and Joe/Jane Police. It seems like minor things (BB guns) are instantly up channeled/exaggerated to some kind of evil motive while major things are often downplayed. Sign of the times I guess. Not sure how it gets corrected at this point as far as across the board.

Why nOt just make it illegal to remove the orange tips??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast