• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I have been following this on and off. The most recent case of a juvenile welding a airsoft gun generating a MWAG call ended with the parent giving all the kids 12 - 14 airsoft look-a-like guns to the cops and asking they be destroyed. Took several MWAG calls before the parent got fed up, but he finally did take action.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Having two incomes is almost a necessity these days, however we should still make time to spend with our kids and help them understand that LEOs should not be their first concern when it comes to punishment...

Two incomes is only a necessity if you have to keep up with the Joneses next door. I have a mortgage, two kids, a wife, two dogs and one full time job. We make ends meet, don't have any food stamps and my wife is able to raise our kids the way we want to.

I definitely agree this does nothing to garner trust between children and police nor parent/police.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I get the reasoning behind it. They had a rash of vandalism incidents where kids were shooting BB/pellet guns and paintballs at houses, cars, etc., so they "have to do something!"

so, if God forbid they got a string of rape, what would they do? lock up their women?

police and parents, do your damn job with those kids who did the bad things.

agree with you, total BS.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    EDIT:
    Sounds like Columbus police will now be stopping persons carrying in public to ensure that they're not under 18 and carrying one of those illegal BB guns.

Since it's an ordinance and not a law they're enforcing, they can also use the Title 34 failure to ID law to arrest gun owners.

(Didn't spot the age limit before...)

:twocents:
    I imagine once the verified it was *not* a BB gun [i.e. provide the LTCH] that you would no longer need to ID.

Anybody want to chime in on that?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    so, if God forbid they got a string of rape, what would they do? lock up their women?

Without getting totally off topic but what I noticed when I worked municipal PD was sometime between when I was a kid and got out of the military to work the pd there was a change in the Parents did not want/believe the Police when we tried to have mom and Dad handle the "youthful indiscretions. It seemed you tried to handle it that way the parents threated lawsuit or not my kid yada yada yada. Now it seems both sides are not delivering. You have the parents that don't want to admit their kid did something stupid and some of the LEO's these days immediately upgrade a kid being stupid to some kind of ultra crime spree!!

Lose lose for everyone!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

If there was a string of rapes, they'd lock up all the men I imagine.

That said - almost nobody takes personal responsibility anymore much less responsibility for their spawn.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm only 54, but I remember walking down the side of a state highway in California with a pellet rifle in my hands, no case, just in my hands or over my shoulder.

Not only did no-one call the police, I actually hitch-hiked this stretch of highway with my pellet gun in tow, and I got rides almost every time I stuck my thumb out.
    My friends house was a mile or so down the road, and I did this DAILY for about a year.

Try that today, even HERE, and someone will call Johnny-law.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    From the end of the article:

"Earlier in the day Tuesday, Columbus Police Department spokesman Matt Myers said the most recent version of the ordinance reflects the wishes police officials originally expressed to the city council in May."

Reflects the wishes of police officials!?!?

Isn't their job to ENFORCE the law? Not WRITE it?

Maybe elsewhere, but our mayor is insistent upon being perceived as pro-LE and wants all the public "service" folks (Fire, Cops, etc) to love her.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A very short time ago I presented my two young nephews with their first each BB guns. They were Daisy "Buck" models. Look pretty much like the Red Ryder but without a fore-grip, all steel instead.

The occasion was the older nephews birthday party and we were celebrating with a party in one of our local city parks.

I had attached a couple of Shoot-N-C targets to a few paper plates, and brought them and a package of BB's for each of them to the party table.

While I was conversing with my siblings I missed my namesake nephew discovering first the paper plates and then the BB's. He asked his dad why there were targets on the paper plates. My brother told him, "You'd better ask your Uncle It (pet name my many nieces and nephews have bestowed upon me) about that.

Nephew then approached me and asked straight up, "Uncle It, did you get me a BB gun?"

I told him yes, and his face just lit up.

I then had to tell him that we could not get them out of my truck until we left the park.
    He just couldn't understand why it would be a bad thing to have a BB gun in a park.

I'm so proud of him. He's only 5 years old, and vastly smarter than many "adults" I know.

Top Bottom