• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    What is your opinion, and why, on the effectiveness of 45 acp with FMJ ammo as a "woods" round for Indiana? Specifically, using a Glock 21 as protection against any mean critters that I may come across while out in the woods?
    Please dont go into what other calibers would be better. I know there are better options, so that's not what I'm asking. I am only curious about the effectiveness of 45 acp FMJ against things like an attacking dog, a meth head, a coyote, or whatever else could possibly be a threat in the woods of Indiana.
    Thanks in advance.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Not the best you can carry, not the worst. I'd use HPs in .45, but that's me. With the G21 you have plenty of rounds available. I carried my G20 with 200gr hard cast solids hiking in Glacier NP last year and with that and bear spray I felt I had reasonable protection against anything. I was doing many miles of hiking on established trails and wasn't going to carry what would have been optimal, my .458 socom...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's plenty for dogs and coyotes. We routinely dispatched both out of the chickens with a .22 rifle and a .38 revolver, depending on who was dispatching the chicken thief. Meth heads, about as good as anything you're going to carry.

I'd still stick with HP for Indiana, though. Not much in the way of large dangerous game. I'm generally more concerned with snakes than anything else when in the woods, especially near creeks and ponds. Stupid water moccasins.

INDY-1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    Avon
    I like to go by the rule of protection ammo in home and FMJ for target and other. FMJs are heavier and rounded. We use them in the military for everything. They pack a punch and keep going through soft targets.> FMJ it

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Two legged critters are always a concern, but my biggest problem has been packs of dogs bent on mayhem. I would not have felt under gunned with a 45 ACP either time, but both times I was carrying a rifle, and needed it both times.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks all for the thoughts so far. I dont think hardcast would be necessary here, and my concern with HPs is that they would clog and/or not have the penetration after going through fur.
    Any more thoughts are welcome.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks all for the thoughts so far. I dont think hardcast would be necessary here, and my concern with HPs is that they would clog and/or not have the penetration after going through fur.
    Any more thoughts are welcome.

If they clog then they are no less effective than round nose. Penetration is going to be plenty adequate with either regardless.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A few years ago, I thought I was gonna have to use my 45 ACP against some 2 legged varmints in the woods here in Southern Indiana, couple of meth/crack heads trying to strike up a conversation.......I wasn't in the mood to talk, and knew they were up to no good. I often pocket carry a small 7+1 45 auto, and had it that day. Long story short, they figured out I wasn't an easy target, and went away, and I never drew my gun, but I was damn glad I had it with me, and am very confident that those rounds would have solved any issues that came up.

I carry a Ruger SR45 or 1911 most of the time now, even on our hikes in the Smokey Mountains (well, I usually have my Alaskan with me there) and don't feel unprepared for the what ifs.

I usually have nothing but FMJ in my 45s.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I think you would be good to go with your GLOCK 21 stoked with fmj ammo.

Feral hogs and wilding dogs are my main concerns, along with random miscreants you sometimes find in the woods. I like my S&W 629 for country carry, but would be just find with .45 acp.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd think that the only mean critters you'd have to worry about in Indiana is the two legged variety........
    :+1: To this guy and all the others that said the only thing you have to worry about around here in the woods is other people... EDC will work.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    :+1: To this guy and all the others that said the only thing you have to worry about around here in the woods is other people... EDC will work.

See my EDC is Gold Dots, usually in 9mm. Another way to ask my question is: are my EDC 45 acp HPs better than FMJs for woods carry in Indiana?
    My 3 year old son and I were charged by a growling dog, while out on a hike, that thankfully stopped in time. That has made me wonder if FMJs would be better than my EDC HPs if I would ever have shoot in a situation like that.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    FWIW...and I'm no self defense expert but I'm agreeing that the most dangerous thing you're likely to meet in the woods in Indiana is another person. When I'm out on my property or maybe taking a walk around my "block", I'm carrying my EDC with my EDC ammo which is HP's.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    See my EDC is Gold Dots, usually in 9mm. Another way to ask my question is: are my EDC 45 acp HPs better than FMJs for woods carry in Indiana?
    My 3 year old son and I were charged by a growling dog, while out on a hike, that thankfully stopped in time. That has made me wonder if FMJs would be better than my EDC HPs if I would ever have shoot in a situation like that.

Dogs are no bigger than people... HP's will kill a coyote or a dog no problem that goes for 9mm or 45acp, heck I saw a guy kill a pig with his handgun once. You'll be fine.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Where are you finding water moccasins in Indiana? Other then a small population near the Ohio river, the snakes you see in or near the water are not Water Moccasins AFAIK.

One bit and killed my last dog near the Clark/Scott County county line. That's about 20 something miles from the Ohio river, so I guess it depends on how you define "near".

Top Bottom