• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I like to go by the rule of protection ammo in home and FMJ for target and other. FMJs are heavier and rounded. We use them in the military for everything. They pack a punch and keep going through soft targets.> FMJ it

How can a 230gr FMJ be heavier than a 230 JHP :scratch:

.45 acp would be fine "almost" everything you would encounter in the woods in IN. IMO you would be under gunned in an encounter with a wild hog of any size.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    One bit and killed my last dog near the Clark/Scott County county line. That's about 20 something miles from the Ohio river, so I guess it depends on how you define "near".

Sorry to hear it. The population that I know of is in part of the Patoka rivershed. Did you positively ID the snake (ie get the carcass)? Not trying to bust your chops here, I'm genuinely interested. One of my caving buddies is a herpetologist and he often gets distracted from finding caves when we are tromping around the woods in the southern part of the state. I now know more about snakes than I ever would have learned otherwise. It's because of him I'm seen the only timber rattler I've ever seen in Indiana. Another friend in Texas just today posted a pic on FB of a coral snake he almost stepped on.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Sorry to hear it. The population that I know of is in part of the Patoka rivershed. Did you positively ID the snake (ie get the carcass)? Not trying to bust your chops here, I'm genuinely interested. One of my caving buddies is a herpetologist and he often gets distracted from finding caves when we are tromping around the woods in the southern part of the state. I now know more about snakes than I ever would have learned otherwise. It's because of him I'm seen the only timber rattler I've ever seen in Indiana. Another friend in Texas just today posted a pic on FB of a coral snake he almost stepped on.

Hope he had a change of pants after that. That would have been a bad day.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    With attacking dogs, coyotes, and two-legged varmints, you'll be far better served with hollowpoints over FMJ in your .45 ACP.
    Also, keep in mind that people who hunt deer with handguns use either semi-wadcutters or hollowpoints.
    No concern about fur clogging up a hollowpoint there.
    My own experience using them on deer bear this out.
    Leave the FMJ for the range and stick with proper expanding bullets.
    You'll drop the threat much faster and more reliably.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Snake lived unmolested so no carcass. This was 2001 or 2002.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I trust my life to the same gun. Well I have a choice between an AR and an shotgun at home but out and about, G21. I carry JHP though.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    There is NOTHING in the woods in IN that a .22 wouldn't handle nicely, except possibly people. No wolves, bears, hogs, alligators, lions, or moose.
    Sadly we don't have anything exciting like that here in Indiana.

So whatever you usually carry for people will be more than sufficient for the beasts of the wilderness.

(I'm sure someone will be along shortly to post a link to a hog shot in southern IN or a mountain lion sighting or such...) :D

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    And I go into the boundary waters unarmed...

There's moose, black bear, wolves, and mountain lions up there. Worst case, I have to climb a tree or back up slowly. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Indiana doesn't have many animals that will kill a person. Sure, a random mountain lion somewhere, but the main thing to watch out for is stepping on a snake (there are rattle snakes here).

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    And I go into the boundary waters unarmed...

There's moose, black bear, wolves, and mountain lions up there. Worst case, I have to climb a tree or back up slowly. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Indiana doesn't have many animals that will kill a person. Sure, a random mountain lion somewhere, but the main thing to watch out for is stepping on a snake (there are rattle snakes here).

I'm actually from Minnesota and have spent a ton of time in the BWCAW!
    I agree that indiana is "tame" compared to there, but one dog charging at my son was enough.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Right on. I'm planning to go back to the boundary waters next year. It's been too long. It'll be the first time taking my wife up there. She's never been in wilderness like that before. Should be a lot of fun.

My family has a cabin up on lake Vermillion (built for fishing back before it was the rich area it is now). Love going up north.

I'm actually from Minnesota and have spent a ton of time in the BWCAW!
    I agree that indiana is "tame" compared to there, but one dog charging at my son was enough.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I carry a Glock 21 with HP for the more likely event of the odd meth lab when I am out and about in the woods. If I do happen upon a snake, the old saying of "If he don't start something, there won't be nothing" applies.

Good article on what poisonous snakes we actually have in Indiana and a map of their respective ranges.
    Snakes in Indiana

Top Bottom