• What condition do you carry in?

• Total voters

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Still think it’s a good idea to carry in condition 3? (warning, graphic)

Just got my LTCH, but have been getting intiment with my handguns for a couple months. When I first started shooting, I was always nervous about holstering Condition 1.. but the first day CCing out I decided that was the way to go. Watching the above video, and knowing how much more practice I need on racking the slide reliably has lead me to decide that Condition 1 is the best option.

I'm pretty sure I know the outcome of this poll, but curiosity is getting the better of me.

With hammer fired guns, do you think that the sight of a hammer pulled back as any effect on others reactions?

-edit in reply to G_Stines-
    From what I've seen, Conditions were drawn from 1911 hardware. DA and no external safety guns I would consider that Condition 0 as well. As the old camera advertisements go, "Point and shoot!"

Last edited:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I put zero for a simple reason, one being that I carry a sig 99% of the time. I use the decocker, and then its a DA pull to fire the first shot. That technically falls somewhere between your condition 0 and 1. There isn't a safety on other than the DA pull.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have an HK USP round chambered safety off, first round will be DA and the rest SA. I guess that is like hybrid 0/2

Also carry a Glock 27, round chambered, no hammer or safety so I guess that's sorta 0/2 also

I do want to get a 1911 too, but I need money :D

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    When Im carrying there is always a round in the chamber and hammer cocked. I don't really see a point in carrying an unloaded gun. When Im at home and the gun is not on me I take the round out but keep a full mag in it. My 18 month old daughter is very interested in my bedside gun safe and couldnt live with myself if she were to get hurt.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That scale doesn't really account for the popular plasti-pistols...

I carry my XDm with a round chambered, striker pre-cocked, and trigger/grip safeties engaged. I voted Condition 0 though because all I need to do is unholster, grip, & squeeze...the minimal interaction required to properly deploy a carried pistol. In its holstered state, however, it's closer to Condition 1.5 because the striker isn't fully cocked & the firing pin is physically blocked. The striker becomes fully cocked & the firing pin block is released during trigger pull, which cannot happen unless the grip safety is disengaged.

What I'm trying to say is; such a poll isn't very useful w/out accounting for the differences between switch-safeties, grip safeties, no safeties, hammers, strikers, trigger jobs, etc.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I put zero for a simple reason, one being that I carry a sig 99% of the time. I use the decocker, and then its a DA pull to fire the first shot. That technically falls somewhere between your condition 0 and 1. There isn't a safety on other than the DA pull.

Same here for me as well...

Was contemplating what Number would be proper for me to describe how a 220 is carried... :D

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When carrying the 1911 - Condition 1
    When carrying the USP - Condition 1. I started out as Condition 2 in the "decocked/half-cocked" with one in the chamber for a few months... then I grew a pair.

BarryJaxon

Shooter
    Rating - 50%
    0   1   1
    Feb 23, 2011
    1911-5",4.25,3.5,cocked @ locked,nobody but gun people really notice + I have it concealed about 85% of the time.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Yep. I was stuck between 0 & 2. I voted a 2. I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P .45 so it is always one in the chamber but technically uncocked until I pull the trigger.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "A gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nuthin." Rooster Cogburn, True Grit!
    Carry mine round in the chamber hammer down, for my DA auto's. Cocked and lock for my 1911.

Top Bottom