One gun at home or one gun in every room?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsom2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Noblesville
    Would like to start a dissussion regarding your thoughts on how "available" guns are in your home. For about 20 years I had my EDC that I had with me when I was leaving the house and then I would leave it on the table or counter when I was home then when I was home I had a shotgun under my bed, an AR15 behind an always open door in the basement, and a different handgun in various parts of the house like in the nightstand, under the couch and chair cushions, above the cabinets in the kitchen, top shelf of the upstairs closet, office desk drawer, garage and barn office.

One day I realized that I hadn't fired some of my guns in five years. Suddenly I started wondering if they would actually work in the event that I needed them. I made a decision to keep the shotgun under the bed and the AR15 in the basement then keep my EDC or my Glock 21 with me where I am in the house.

Would like to hear what your system is and why you choose that system. Aslo I might add that I live alone and rarely have children in the house.

fuzzbawl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    It really depends on your HD plan, really. Like any setup there are pro/con to putting a gun in every room. If someone knows you're doing that or if an intruder somehow finds your weapon then it could turn ugly. On the other hand, it would suck to be stuck in a room on a 2nd floor without any weaponry while someone invades the ground floor. I am interested in other viewpoints as well.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Before my son was born I had one in pretty much every room. Now they are all locked up except the one or two that are always on me.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I live on one side of a double. Two floors. My bedroom is upstairs. I keep a shotgun next to my night stand in my room and lay my EDC beside it when I'm home. Both guns are kept with one in the chamber. I don't have kids yet which is why I'm able to leave them lying around.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    ^^^^^
    what the hell does this mean???
    troll+face.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    What does this mean?

Let's say the SWAT team hits your house because you bought too much cold medicine. The instant they come through your door they blow you away.

At the press conference where they announce this great blow in the war on drugs, they wave your posts from this board, which prove that you were a dangerous, 2nd Amendment crazed paranoid psychotic, who BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION kept guns in every room of your house to protect yourself from imaginary threats, thereby making it necessary to neutralize you instantly for "officer safety."

Far-fetched? I myself was a defendant in a court case in which my posts from this board were introduced in evidence against me.

I happened to win my case, but if you're dead it means you lost.

Last edited:

fuzzbawl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    If the SWAT team hits my house then it's likely because I did something to deserve it, which isn't buying "too much cold medicine". What the police can get from my posts here isn't anything they might already dream up in their heads. After all, they have my handgun permit on file....

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I know another person whose posts on a firearms board ended up in court. He was not a bad guy.

That having been said, keep every firearm loaded and available quickly from wherever you are in your home. Under or in kitchen counters, desks, bookcases, and even bathroom vanity. It's your life. Teach your kids and grandkids not to touch your guns.

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    as i have a 14 month old daughter, i only have my shotgun readily available in my closet, which the door is always closed to when i'm not there so she can't get it. my 2nd handgun is in a handgun safe by the bed/nightstand, and my edc is on me every waking minute (while not at work). my other guns are locked up (just a couple .22's).

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    What does this mean?

Let's say the SWAT team hits your house because you bought too much cold medicine. The instant they come through your door they blow you away.

At the press conference where they announce this great blow in the war on drugs, they wave your posts from this board, which prove that you were a dangerous, 2nd Amendment crazed paranoid psychotic, who BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION kept guns in every room of your house to protect yourself from imaginary threats, thereby making it necessary to neutralize you instantly for "officer safety."

Far-fetched? I myself was a defendant in a court case in which my posts from this board were introduced in evidence against me.

I happened to win my case, but if you're dead it means you lost.

are-you-serious-rage-face.jpg

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't have children at the moment, but my wife and I both carry...when we come home our EDC's are placed on the coffee table in front of us....there is also a loaded firearm in each major room, however hidden in a location not likely to be searched for valuables by a BG

on the same note, I do have a young nephew who visits fairly often, but he's well educated in firearms (props to dad)....at the age of three can recite the weapons safety rules, identify the model and caliber of daddy's gun.....he knew even at the age of 2, still in diapers that he wasn't allowed to touch a gun without daddy around/permission.....he got into the coffee table drawer to look for something to play with one day, saw the gun and stepped back.....and asked what that was (even though he knew) his dad replied that's a gun....he said, "oh I can't touch that" and closed the drawer to walk away.. AT 2 years old...this is an impressive kid I must say and this is only one of many examples I could use...but my point is, with children around you should certainly be a little more cautious with your firearms, but NOTHING is a substitute for a proper firearms education....regardless of AGE

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Since I only have 1 handgun and a couple .22's, it's kinda hard to keep a rifle, shotgun or handgun in every room of the house. I do keep my EDC within arms reach at all times, and a couple loaded mags in the bedroom, so I guess that will do for now. Of course until I can afford to buy more guns, which may be a while.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A gun in every room is not necessary if it is on your belt in a holster.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    This guy is watching.... he wants to round up those that disagree with him in the name of freedom....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unoO9UeifH0[/ame]

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I used to carry, but then I lost all of my firearms in a freak boating accident. Tragedy really. Now I just rely on the state to protect me.

Top Bottom