• ...and so much more!
  • WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    Scenario:

A local couple who are both Artists are attending an Arts & Crafts Festival as Vendors. An all day event in a suburb of a large Mid-West city. As they is setting up in the morning, the husband checks out his surroundings. It's an older neighborhood, not run down by any means. They has a great day, makes lots of sales, meets some very interesting people, not only other Vendors but Customers as well.

Packing up and heading out, the husband notices a gas station/convenience store on a busy corner has the cheapest gas he has seen in a long time and since he needs some fuel to make the trip home, he decides to fill up.

While pumping gas he surveys his surroundings (you all do this in a strange neighborhood, correct?) and begins to notice many unsavory types hanging around. Several of them start moving in his general direction and giving him looks as if he's next on the predator/prey menu.

Now our local artist just happens to be armed and reasonably well trained in the use of said arms. He returns their looks with a look that clearly states "you are not stalking a sheep here boys, but a sheepdog ready and aware of you and your pack". They quickly take notice of this and slip into the darkness.

Moving his truck close to the door he and his wife walk into the convenience store to purchase a drink for the ride home, keenly aware now of just what type of area they are in, our Artist is not surprised to see several store employees openly armed and aware of all who walk through the doors.

One of these employees notices the jacket our local artist is wearing, black leather with a bright patch over the left breast the proudly announcing to all that he is a NRA Life Member. Looking at that patch, then into the eyes of our artist, the employee gives him a slight smile and turns his attention back to the rest of the store.

Our Artist pays for the drinks and as he passes the employee who noticed his jacket he hears him say "Nice Jacket, have a great evening".

Now we cannot know for certain if the unsavory types meant evil to our local artist, but every indication was there that they were sizing him up as prey. Being armed did not make him superior to these said individuals, but he was prepared to deal with whatever might have arisen. Add to that the attitude and mindset that he WAS NOT prey and projecting that mindset just might have kept this situation from turning into something much worse.

Now for one main fact left out of the above narrative ........

That local artist was ME and my wife, one day before the tragedy in Connecticut.

I am always armed as those who have known me for years are well aware. This incident only more firmly cemented my commitment to all of us having the right to be armed if we so choose.

I have been inactive on this site for some time as my wife and I have started a fledgling business and it has been consuming most of my time. I have debated sharing this event with all of you but with what is going on, with politicians trying to take this very precious right away from us I felt compelled to share.

People who live surrounded by armed guards and have no concept what the rest of us have to live with, should not try and tell us we do not need what our Founding Fathers clearly stated was our right.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    While I am always armed when I go out, your thoughts about politicians trying to take the right to bear arms away from us seems a little misguided. They are trying to ban assault weapons and possibly implement a magazine limit (which could have possibly affected this situation). There is absolutely no legislation that would ban the carrying of handguns being put forth or even being talked about.

Nonetheless, I am glad you had your wits about you and were armed. Without either of the two you could be in a tough spot at the moment.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    Banning so called "assault weapons" had no impact from 1994 to 2004. Why would it have an impact now? The term "assault rifle" is thrown around by the anti crowd enough don't you think? This all came about based on a lie and/or mis-reporting about Conn. There wasn't an AR15 there. The helicopter video of the LEO clearing the weapon found in the trunk of Lanza's car clearly shows it was a shotgun. No long gun was found on his person. 4 handguns yes, no long guns. With 4 handguns, magazine capacity becomes a moot point.

As for politicians wanting to take away this right of ours ... there are more than enough interviews with them and they clearly state they would love nothing better than to ban them. They know they can't get the votes for that so they will slowly chip away at the 2nd Amendment as they have always done. We as responsible, law abiding citizens need to stand up and say No More. If we don't stop the slow creep of them banning one at a time, soon it will be a thing that is lost in totality.

Last edited:

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Banning so called "assault weapons" had no impact from 1994 to 2004. Why would it have an impact now? The term "assault rifle" is thrown around by the anti crowd enough don't you think? This is all came about based on a lie and/or mis-reporting about Conn. There wasn't an AR15 there. The helicopter video of the LEO clearing the weapon found in the trunk of Lanza's car clearly shows it was a shotgun. No long gun was found on his person. 4 handguns yes, no long guns. With 4 handguns, magazine capacity becomes a moot point.

Regardless of what you believe, the media has reported, and the medical examiner has confirmed that a rifle round was used in the slaying of all individuals. The rifle used was most likely a .223 AR-15. Not sure what this has to do with my previous statement, but thought I should enlighten you.

As far as weapons being called "assault rifles," I agree that it is a misused term. I also agree that the banning of these weapons will do nothing to stunt crime or homicides. Once again, I'm not sure what this has to do with my comment.

Furthermore, I completely agree about a magazine ban being moot as it pertains to criminals. I'm still not understanding your point.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    A job well done sir. I hadthe unfortunate duty of dealing with a family who was not prepared, husband, wife, and children. Husband was working on a rental, owned by them, late on a Saturday night in a neighborhood known for drug and criminal activity. They were lucky as they only temporarily lost their vehicle and a wallet. The husband could have lost his life.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    While I am always armed when I go out, your thoughts about politicians trying to take the right to bear arms away from us seems a little misguided. They are trying to ban assault weapons and possibly implement a magazine limit (which could have possibly affected this situation). There is absolutely no legislation that would ban the carrying of handguns being put forth or even being talked about.

Nonetheless, I am glad you had your wits about you and were armed. Without either of the two you could be in a tough spot at the moment.

The slippery slope. I am old enough to remember when they were demonizing handguns, then"cop killer" ammo, then "sniper rifles". The left will never stop until we are completely disarmed. That's why it's important to stand up and say no more.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Not true . There is plenty of legislation being proposed around the nation to ban most all types of firearms and possession.

Here is one of the many out there:

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/01/weston-ct-gun-ban-proposal/#axzz2HrjN7rJx

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    Regardless of what you believe, the media has reported, and the medical examiner has confirmed that a rifle round was used in the slaying of all individuals. The rifle used was most likely a .223 AR-15. Not sure what this has to do with my previous statement, but thought I should enlighten you.

As far as weapons being called "assault rifles," I agree that it is a misused term. I also agree that the banning of these weapons will do nothing to stunt crime or homicides. Once again, I'm not sure what this has to do with my comment.

Furthermore, I completely agree about a magazine ban being moot as it pertains to criminals. I'm still not understanding your point.

First off let me say we are on the same side of this issue and I am not trying to start an argument. You should know by now that the media for the most part cannot be trusted to report facts. Lately they have been just mouthpieces for the Liberals though there are some that are not.

Molotov Mitchell Exposes Media Lies of ‘Sandy Hook’

Now granted the guy in this video has a bit of an over acting issue though I got a chuckle out of that, what I found interesting was the actual video clip taken from the helicopter. You will see what I meant earlier that it clearly is not an AR. If they managed to get so many facts wrong, either through laziness of not doing their own investigations or they were just continuing to push an agenda, then why won't they clear up the mistakes made in earlier reports?

I have been a long time gun owner and supporter of the 2nd Amendment and have seen the constant attempts by anti-gunners to strip that right from the law abiding citizens of this country. I say no more, it is criminals and crazies that almost always do this type of thing. Why should the law abiding pay for their behavior?

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Not true . There is plenty of legislation being proposed around the nation to ban most all types of firearms and possession.

Here is one of the many out there:

Weston, CT Gun Ban Proposal

I was talking on a national level. Leave the states to their own devices.

You will see what I meant earlier that it clearly is not an AR.

I have seen the video, and it looks like a Saiga 12 to me. I'm talking about on his person. The ME has already stated that when he did the autopsies all individuals were killed by rifle rounds. Most of what the media pushes out is false, they are only interested in getting the story first. But if you don't trust the ME then :dunno:.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    KW, we have not heard another word about the "ME" who made this report. If there was no rifle on the scene how is it possible the wounds were made by one?

I am reserving judgement on any ME report until something more recent than a day or two after the incident. Sooner or later, hopefully sooner, we will actually get to see the actual ME report and not just what was reported by the media that an ME "said".

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Thats silly.

Do you also beilve in a hodge podge of 1st amd. right violations?

Absolutely not. And I see why that would come off as silly. The thing is though, if a state wants to restrict the right to bear arms (which many do) I have a right not to visit or set up residence within that state. It really doesn't bother me if all the anti-gunners want to huddle inside the same invisible lines.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've had two ocassions in the past few years getting gas in "questionable" areas where I "accidentally" exposed my cc'ed .45 pistol. It's both entertaining and brings great relief to see the sharks swim away to circle another day.

Sonick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Louisville
    It doesn't matter if I am just running two blocks to the gas station. Don't leave home unarmed. Hell, I won't go out to my garage (in backyard) without being armed.

call me paranoid.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    Sonik, my business is run out of my garage in the backyard and I carry there as well. My wife looked at me funny the first few times but she got over it :D

Top Bottom