• ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Scenario:

A local couple who are both Artists are attending an Arts & Crafts Festival as Vendors. An all day event in a suburb of a large Mid-West city. As they is setting up in the morning, the husband checks out his surroundings. It's an older neighborhood, not run down by any means. They has a great day, makes lots of sales, meets some very interesting people, not only other Vendors but Customers as well.

Packing up and heading out, the husband notices a gas station/convenience store on a busy corner has the cheapest gas he has seen in a long time and since he needs some fuel to make the trip home, he decides to fill up.

While pumping gas he surveys his surroundings (you all do this in a strange neighborhood, correct?) and begins to notice many unsavory types hanging around. Several of them start moving in his general direction and giving him looks as if he's next on the predator/prey menu.

Now our local artist just happens to be armed and reasonably well trained in the use of said arms. He returns their looks with a look that clearly states "you are not stalking a sheep here boys, but a sheepdog ready and aware of you and your pack". They quickly take notice of this and slip into the darkness.

Moving his truck close to the door he and his wife walk into the convenience store to purchase a drink for the ride home, keenly aware now of just what type of area they are in, our Artist is not surprised to see several store employees openly armed and aware of all who walk through the doors.

One of these employees notices the jacket our local artist is wearing, black leather with a bright patch over the left breast the proudly announcing to all that he is a NRA Life Member. Looking at that patch, then into the eyes of our artist, the employee gives him a slight smile and turns his attention back to the rest of the store.

Our Artist pays for the drinks and as he passes the employee who noticed his jacket he hears him say "Nice Jacket, have a great evening".

Now we cannot know for certain if the unsavory types meant evil to our local artist, but every indication was there that they were sizing him up as prey. Being armed did not make him superior to these said individuals, but he was prepared to deal with whatever might have arisen. Add to that the attitude and mindset that he WAS NOT prey and projecting that mindset just might have kept this situation from turning into something much worse.

Now for one main fact left out of the above narrative ........

That local artist was ME and my wife, one day before the tragedy in Connecticut.

I am always armed as those who have known me for years are well aware. This incident only more firmly cemented my commitment to all of us having the right to be armed if we so choose.

I have been inactive on this site for some time as my wife and I have started a fledgling business and it has been consuming most of my time. I have debated sharing this event with all of you but with what is going on, with politicians trying to take this very precious right away from us I felt compelled to share.

People who live surrounded by armed guards and have no concept what the rest of us have to live with, should not try and tell us we do not need what our Founding Fathers clearly stated was our right.

I'm glad that it worked out for the best, but this is an example where situational awareness and proper planning could have pre-empted the risk. When planning to drive into/through a rough neighborhood, it's wise to make sure that you already have plenty of gas (and stop for any other needs) beforehand. There are lots of places in Indy where I would never stop to buy gas, even if it was on sale for $1 a gallon. The few bucks saved on a tank of gas won't make much of a dent in the legal fees related to shooting someone, even in justifiable self-defense.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Mr88GT had a similar "stare down" with a yoot at our east side unit one summer. He was up on a ladder doing some exterior repairs. Many of the tools--hammer, saw, perhaps a power tool or two--were lying on the ground at the foot of the ladder (about 30 ft from the sidewalk). Said yoot walks by, pauses, looks at the tools, looks up the ladder at Mr88GT, presumably sees the sidearm made visible when Mr88GT had his arms raised to work on the vinyl, looks back at the tools, looks back at Mr88GT, and continues on his path. Mr88GT watched him the whole time (you have to keep your head on a swivel in this area, the theft is rampant and I can't tell you how many drug deals I've observed) and says he is convinced that the yoot was weighing the pros and cons of a snatch-and-grab effort at the tools on the ground. The "I know you're there and am prepared to respond" attitude of Mr88GT along with the yoot seeing the firearm is probably what convinced the yoot to find another target.

I was talking on a national level. Leave the states to their own devices.
    Incrementalism. If you don't think that they're after them all, every last one, you haven't been paying attention. Saying that just because there isn't a bill to ban them all in the works means they aren't trying to get there is like saying I'm not planning on going to the grocery store because I don't have a shopping list written up at this moment.

I have seen the video, and it looks like a Saiga 12 to me. I'm talking about on his person. The ME has already stated that when he did the autopsies all individuals were killed by rifle rounds. Most of what the media pushes out is false, they are only interested in getting the story first. But if you don't trust the ME then :dunno:.

I trust the medical examiner's verbal comments in a presser about as much as I trust the press's ability to get the details right before printing them. The fact is that nobody has seen the autopsy reports on any of the victims or the shooter (to my knowledge). As there will be no trial--and believe me the conspiracy hater in me deplores even suggesting this--how convenient it would be to make a comment about the firearm used and then offer no proof. It's not going to come out in court after all.

I'm glad that it worked out for the best, but this is an example where situational awareness and proper planning could have pre-empted the risk. When planning to drive into/through a rough neighborhood, it's wise to make sure that you already have plenty of gas (and stop for any other needs) beforehand. There are lots of places in Indy where I would never stop to buy gas, even if it was on sale for $1 a gallon. The few bucks saved on a tank of gas won't make much of a dent in the legal fees related to shooting someone, even in justifiable self-defense.

I know I always have the knowledge of what's a bad area in cities I've never visited.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area

We had never been to this area of Indy before and when we arrived, driving through in day light it did not "appear" to be a bad neighborhood. After dark that all changed, what didn't change and what never changes is my awareness.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We had never been to this area of Indy before and when we arrived, driving through in day light it did not "appear" to be a bad neighborhood. After dark that all changed, what didn't change and what never changes is my awareness.

Stop making excuses. You should have done a complete crime report inquiry of a 10-15 block radius as well as a 3-page questionnaire for all the residents along your mapped route.

Top Bottom