• ...and so much more!
  • Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Link to Indy Star article

A 21-year-old man was shot in the chest this evening after he attacked an armed man with a bottle, police said.The shooting occurred during an altercation in front of a home in the first block of South Butler Avenue shortly before 9:40 p.m., said Lt. Jeff Duhamell , spokesman for the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.
    The wounded man was listed in critical condition at Wishard Memorial Hospital.Police said the man and a friend exchanged words with a 21-year-old man who had been sitting on a porch and wearing two visible sidearms.
    One man struck the armed man with a large glass bottle then removed one of the armed man's handguns and started hitting him with it, Duhamell said. The armed man grabbed his second gun and shot his attacker.
    Police were questioning the armed man, who Duhamell said has a valid gun permit. The armed man has a gash on his head.
    The man who was with the shooting victim is also being questioned, Duhamell said.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Interesting...

So the guy was OCing 2 guns and one of them got taken from him.

I wonder if he was inebriated or under the influence of something else.

Also, why would a man armed with a bottle go after a guy with two guns?

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Yikes hope this plays out in a good way for the gun owning comunity. There has be so much negative news lately.

Sounds like self defense so far....

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Maybe guy blindsided armed guy in order to take firearm. Got firearm and could not get it to work i.e. round not chambered or safety on, so started hitting him with it. Guy pulls second gun and fires.

Can't wait to see what started this. My idea is guy sees other guy is armed and gets upset. Tells armed person he can't carry a gun or carry the way he is. Armed guy says yes I can. Heated argument follows. Armed guy tells other guy to F off. Then the rest happens.

Probably not what happened but speculation is fun until the truth comes out.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This one will be interesting how it plays out. Motive I think is irrelevant. From the star looks like the man was attacked, a weapon was taken from him, he was in fear of his life, he shot in self-defense. Lets see it that is how the investigation turns it out.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    what shocks me, is that the guy who hit the other guy with a bottle and took one of his pistols, didn't shoot the owner with but rather tried to pistol slap him to death with it....?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    :dunno: What to make of this yet , kinda feels like there's something missing from the story .

Bad idea to attack a man with a gun if you have a bottle though .

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    HOW IS IT YOU ARE ARMED WITH 2 GUNS AND YOU GET ONE TAKEN FROM YOU.:D

shhhhhhhh we are here man no need to yell.

we where not there so we can only guess why he had a pistol taken from him....anything can happen "in the heat of the moment" hell there have been several cases of trained officers having there side arm taken from them. chit happens.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    That's stupid. Going after a guy with two guns. And, still the dude got one taken away. WTF? Get a locking retention holster dude.

I still don't know all the facts of this. But you all seem to discount old people. Very old people in their late 70's and up. They are easily taken advantage of. Some will talk to anything on two legs, crack heads, drunks, monkey's in skirts. Once you reach a certain age your common sense iis not what it used to be. I have to watch my Dad constantly. Think of this whole thing with the guy with two guns being something like 89 years old and see if it doesn't start making more sense to you how it played out.

Like I said I don't know anymore about this than you guys do but I am familiar with the elderly.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    This is now the 2nd OC gun grab in IN in the last couple months? The last one was at the range I believe.

A strap keeps a firearm from falling out. It performs poorly to prevent a firearm from being pulled out with a simple thumb movement releasing it while the strap and snap being visible to others to see.

I wonder if this was a double shoulder holster setup the man had?

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    HOW IS IT YOU ARE ARMED WITH 2 GUNS AND YOU GET ONE TAKEN FROM YOU.:D

I guess they could have mine (after it was empty) :D :draw: :ar15:

The answer was probably closer to the perp not being able
    to figure out the safety or if it was even chambered. Seriously have you ever picked up
    a new to you gun and instantly been able to tell what lever,
    latch to flip?? Or do you stand there for a couple of seconds
    figuring it out. Try doing that if you are possibly drunk
    or in a fight with something new. Too bad for him they don't
    make effective clubs.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    This is kinda funny I had a similar situation not long ago. This guy comes walking up to me and starts going on about how I tried to hit him with my car " never saw the guy before" and he was going to hit me with this bottle. Well he got about 20 feet away before I drew on him. It is amazing how that seems to calm crazy people.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    This is kinda funny I had a similar situation not long ago. This guy comes walking up to me and starts going on about how I tried to hit him with my car " never saw the guy before" and he was going to hit me with this bottle. Well he got about 20 feet away before I drew on him. It is amazing how that seems to calm crazy people.

Ahhhhhh yes, the "OH-S&!T" moment - that last second of crystal clear thought process that screams at the rest of the body and says STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!....... I love to see that look on people's faces - a sudden realization that their actions were not THAT well thought out...:D

Glad to hear that you came out ok!

Top Bottom