• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    I was at a Speedway (Pendleton Pike and 465) and after gassing I went in for coffee. Just about 6:30PM today. I am standing in line with 1 cashier working and I have reached into my pocket 1 cash 2 marketing/rewards/tracking tool so with cash and speedy card in hand the older man working there tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was a cop.
    I told him "no why do you ask" as I am open carrying a stainless fullsize 1911.
    This thread is not about open vs concealed. Please respect that.
    He ignored my question and left the store for the gas pump with the IMPD car. I do not go out of my way to talk to cops (cops are respected for the job they have and most of the work they do) as officers do not every time remember correctly the law, what is said, what is legal, good guys carry guns also and so many other points also. Marion co officials do not second guess officers when they cry the wind is blowing (no watches or warnings and the tornado sirens are triggered).
    OK this is a rant.
    I did not run. I walked after paying my $.70 for coffee and the $.05 tax that pays Bart's pension. I climb in and I leave. No hurry and no looks back. Looked before I took off and the employee is talking to the nice man in uniform. :wtf:
    3 stripes on the officer if that tells anything.
    I never got chased or stopped and no one has met me at home yet.
    I got mad as hell. No one in my life has ever chased a cop down about me open carrying. Met a few wrong cops who are opinionated and will not ever concede that they where wrong about the law on one subject mentioned here almost constantly who are likely just part timers on Cadiz PD.
    I think I will have to call this guys manager and the area manager and ask why this guy wants to be rude to people who are paying money in their stores.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Maybe the cop set the employee straight about open carry? I would think that if the cop thought you were a threat he would have made an attempt to stop you and check things out. But I can understand that you're angry, but look at it from his viewpoint. He's a sheep that got scared by something he wasn't aware of.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    I really doubt fear was included. He did confront me with his question.
    Did not see a record of a 911 report. Nothing listed for crimview.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm torn on this. You did open yourself up for that kind of reaction. You can't tell me you never expected to shock/stun/ or otherwise make someone uncomfortable at some point.

In a gas station even. Which have a much higher than average likely hood of being robbed.

I think the guy who went running to the police was a busybody who was afraid. Nothing to be mad about. You likely ruined his day at least as much as he ruined yours.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Think about the area that you were in and the concern that the cashier may have had for his own safety. If he did go out and talk to the officer about you hopefully the officer explained the law to him.
    If you do call and complain then the store will post a no guns allowed and will become a gun free zone and we all know how well those work at keeping the bad guys away. IMHO if someone open carrys then they have to expect to be questioned sometimes.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm torn on this. You did open yourself up for that kind of reaction. You can't tell me you never expected to shock/stun/ or otherwise make someone uncomfortable at some point.

In a gas station even. Which have a much higher than average likely hood of being robbed.

I think the guy who went running to the police was a busybody who was afraid. Nothing to be mad about. You likely ruined his day at least as much as he ruined yours.

Beg to differ, Lars. If the guy's going to rob the station, or is even in the slightest way a threat, the guy OCing is the last one I'm going to worry about. Draw attention? Sure, you can likely expect that (I don't OC, but I like having the choice to do so or not.) Why should it shock or stun anyone? We cannot spend our lives worrying about who we're going to make uncomfortable by doing this or that. Ironically, the first example that comes to mind is MLK,Jr. and the second is Rosa Parks. Neither one gave a rat's butt about making others uncomfortable, nor should they have. They made stands for what they believed were their rights, and I don't see a lot of difference except that we are exercising the choice to use our RKBA (rightfully so), and they had no choice of whether to be Black or not.

When I put my pistol in my holster in the mornings, my only concern is, "Is it illegal to carry where I'm going to be?" or "If I carry where I'm going, will I be unemployed tomorrow?" If neither answer is yes, I'm armed, Libby discomfort notwithstanding.

No, I'm not angry with you for your post, nor do I mean to sound that way. This is just where I make my stand. YMMV.

Blessings,
    B

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    txgho1911,

That place is not too far from my daily commute. I'll probably stop by there OCing too. :):

BTW, yesterday, I walked into a CVS for a money order. I was OCing. One of the clerks who was stocking a shelf behind me approached me and said, "Sir, you may want to tuck in your tie behind the collar." :):

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    txgho1911,
    You handled it well! Most folks will scream and yell at the person asking if they are a cop or similar reaction to OC in some attempt to educate them or set them straight or what not. You handled a question with an answer and no more attempt to draw attention to your self.
    I see on a lot of boards where people attempt to "educate" others regarding OC. All that does is draw attention to you and will probably get the cops involved. You handled it as many people should do in that situation.

Abnk: Gotta love it man!:D:D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    IMHO if someone open carrys then they have to expect to be questioned sometimes.
    At first I thought this ^ was unreasonable. But after contemplating it for awhile, I think it's on target. Not so much that I think OC'ers are obligated to answer anything to anyone...but yeah... people will be taken aback and the more outspoken ones will most likely inquire.
    "If I carry where I'm going, will I be unemployed tomorrow?" If neither answer is yes, I'm armed, Libby discomfort notwithstanding.
    "I feel your pain", said the recently unemployed girl.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Beg to differ, Lars. If the guy's going to rob the station, or is even in the slightest way a threat, the guy OCing is the last one I'm going to worry about.

I agree with you. However we are rational thinking Americans, who choose to embrace the second amendment. You can't tell me you haven't meet people like the moonbats behind the Brady Campaign in your every day life. This guy was one of those.

Draw attention? Sure, you can likely expect that (I don't OC, but I like having the choice to do so or not.) Why should it shock or stun anyone? We cannot spend our lives worrying about who we're going to make uncomfortable by doing this or that. Ironically, the first example that comes to mind is MLK,Jr. and the second is Rosa Parks. Neither one gave a rat's butt about making others uncomfortable, nor should they have. They made stands for what they believed were their rights, and I don't see a lot of difference except that we are exercising the choice to use our RKBA (rightfully so), and they had no choice of whether to be Black or not.

And MLK,Jr. had death threats against him and his family. They did stand up for what they believe in, and I commend them, AND the original poster for that. However with standing up for your right you need to expect some people who disagree with you are going to have a problem with it.

When I put my pistol in my holster in the mornings, my only concern is, "Is it illegal to carry where I'm going to be?" or "If I carry where I'm going, will I be unemployed tomorrow?" If neither answer is yes, I'm armed, Libby discomfort notwithstanding.
    Agree 100%

No, I'm not angry with you for your post, nor do I mean to sound that way. This is just where I make my stand. YMMV.

Blessings,
    B

I didn't take it as such. I'm German Norwegian..... Tough skin. ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, you were in a Speedway, so weren't you complying with the town ordinance?:lmfao:

You did nothing wrong. Think of it this way, you had the opportunity to educate a fellow citizen and show him that there was nothing mala in se or mala prohibitum about what you were doing.

Rights are like muscles, use them or lose them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    People who rob gas stations (or anything/anyone else) and other criminals do not carry openly. Ever.

It goes beyond being sheep when someone acts like that when they see someone carrying openly in a holster. It's called "stupid."

Top Bottom