• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    People who rob gas stations (or anything/anyone else) and other criminals do not carry openly. Ever.

It goes beyond being sheep when someone acts like that when they see someone carrying openly in a holster. It's called "stupid."

I believe I used the term "Moonbat" :cheers:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well said Rhino. And *if* that is what this clerk thought, why would he stop and ask you? Duck, hide, go directly to the cop, but not ask the OCer and then assume since he isn't a cop he must be a thief. Although I guess that is asking for logical thinking out of a person who obviously has no such capacity.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well said Rhino. And *if* that is what this clerk thought, why would he stop and ask you? Duck, hide, go directly to the cop, but not ask the OCer and then assume since he isn't a cop he must be a thief. Although I guess that is asking for logical thinking out of a person who obviously has no such capacity.

Hence why I called him a busybody. He wasn't afraid that txg was a criminal, he just wanted to tattle on someone for doing something wrong. The fact that txg wasn't doing anything wrong never occurred to the guy.

I bet he sits in his front yard and writes down license plate numbers of anyone he thinks is speeding, too.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You know, I grew up in CA and lived with the strict firearm restrictions and regulations. I never remember seeing a "civilian" carrying.

There are times when I still have a hard time believing that I can legally carry a firearm in Indiana. It is a great feeling, though.

I only bring this up because a lot of people do not understand gun laws/rights and think only LE carry firearms. All my family couldn't believe I applied and received a LTCH. How you are raised and your exposure to firearms have a lot to do with the reaction you have to seeing someone open carrying.

I'm not making excuses, but I do think it is a reality.

My .02 cents.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    If asked I think I would not say "no", just "why?" instead, then when they mention the firearm you have a chance to explain heading of their fear.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Annie,
    I forgot to multi quote yours also. Sorry to hear about the job. I held my last one for 14 years-then was 6 mos out of work before I found the one I'm at now. May you fare better than I did in your search.

I would have been tempted to respond to the cop question with, "no why? are you a criminal?" :):

But thats just me :):

:+1: Love it.

"Duh, are you here to rob my store?" Right up there with, "Call 911 in emergencies" a.k.a.: "Excuse me, Mr. Rapist, would you please wait for me to call 911 and summon help before you force me to have sex with you?"

I agree with you. However we are rational thinking Americans, who choose to embrace the second amendment. You can't tell me you haven't meet people like the moonbats behind the Brady Campaign in your every day life. This guy was one of those.

Quite often, actually. One I work with recently told me that we don't live in the same world that existed when the Founders wrote the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and she thought they should be updated and rewritten today. As an example, she brought up the 2A, and knew not what can of worms she opened. :D

And MLK,Jr. had death threats against him and his family. They did stand up for what they believe in, and I commend them, AND the original poster for that. However with standing up for your right you need to expect some people who disagree with you are going to have a problem with it.

Death threats, yes, but these did not stop him from delivering his message or doing what he thought was right. He spoke about an injustice. We carry, and this should shock no one any more than us exercising free speech. That was the crux of my post. I didn't and don't understand defending (if that's what it was) any American being shocked or stunned at the exercise of rights. Those who grew up under Communist rule, etc., perhaps, but we Americans have had the freedom to exercise our rights from birth.

Agree 100%

I should add that the version of this idea that I posted is extremely sanitized from what I originally typed. Several times.:rolleyesedit:

I didn't take it as such. I'm German Norwegian..... Tough skin. ;)

Glad to hear it. Be well, and as always,

Blessings,
    B

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Death threats, yes, but these did not stop him from delivering his message or doing what he thought was right. He spoke about an injustice. We carry, and this should shock no one any more than us exercising free speech. That was the crux of my post. I didn't and don't understand defending (if that's what it was) any American being shocked or stunned at the exercise of rights. Those who grew up under Communist rule, etc., perhaps, but we Americans have had the freedom to exercise our rights from birth.

The OP seemed upset, if not downright angry this happened to him.
    That's what sparked my comments. I think if you're putting yourself in a situation that this might happen, right or wrong, you need to accept the consequences.

In MLK.Jr's case, Death threats and eventually assassination.

In the case of people who ARE openly carrying a firearm, the occasional moonbat who flies off the hook and calls 911.

That's all. I don't disagree with someones right to carry openly. There's nothing at all wrong with that. I do disagree with being angry about peoples reaction to you. Irrational fears are called Irrational for a reason. WE DON'T UNDERSTAND what's going on in those peoples heads.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Anyone could get upset with people being stupid and not paying the tax on that.
    My answer included the question "why do you ask?" that was ignored.
    The opportunity to educate and inform briefly was passed as irrelevant by the employee. Legally neutral if that is even possible my business was done and I left. Any attempt to clarify to the man how I may carry a gun legally and not be a LEO would have continued a non event and escalated this to a true confrontation of words. In front of a cop no less. This is not my place.
    50ish? man working minimum wage in a convenience store decides to screw with a guy because he carries a gun. I am honored to even pass a few words in interaction with such a high measure of maturity in a human.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm sorry to hear that Annie. :ugh:
    Was it because of a carry issue? :wallbash:
    That wasn't stated at the time, BUT... hearing tidbits after-the-fact and seeing the reworked/reworded policies (employee handbook), yes. I made a few calls to different places and found that they had the right to do so even if that was the only reason they'd choose, because IN is a "right to work" state.

Annie,
    I forgot to multi quote yours also. Sorry to hear about the job. I held my last one for 14 years-then was 6 mos out of work before I found the one I'm at now. May you fare better than I did in your search.
    Thanks. I email/fax/hand deliver about 15 resumés per week on average. I've had a few calls and subsequent interviews here and there, but it seems that in the OH/IN/MI area, it's really a bad time to try to switch jobs or find a new one right now!
    Thank you for the well-wishes, though. Much appreciated.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Annie,

Where are you located and in what field are you seeking employement?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    OC makes one a target in my mind. OC and the guy is behind you in line to rob the place, waiting for a lack of customers (witnesses), they could just throw a sluggo in the back of my head and walk off with the money and potentially my gun. Not my idea of fun on a Friday night.

Rhino: +1. too many stupid people that fear ANYTHING that they dont understand. People react this way to anything, and I mean anything. Just take a look at a concentric universe. Boy was that fun. Better yet, expain the big bang to a religious type. They will burn you at the stake because there are too many things to remember. Its easier and more "comforting" for them to think about only one concept for creation, not more than one.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Since it's summer time I give the slushie machine at speedways a run for their money. I get some wild eyed looks from the clerks in this area occasionally when I get my slushie while OC'ing. Never had one say a word and still to this day never had the cops called.

I do get a lot of "Sirs" and doors held open however, lol.

Disposable heart: give it a rest. There isn't a single documented case of that ever happening. Don't live life being so paranoid and respect the OP's wishes about this not turning into a OC vs CC debate.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Disposable heart: give it a rest. There isn't a single documented case of that ever happening. Don't live life being so paranoid and respect the OP's wishes about this not turning into a OC vs CC debate.

Hey, just saying what Im thinking, not trying to turn into this or that. Read my aforeposted things. I PERSONALLY wouldnt OC, but had to a few times. Number two, I will live my own life as I see fit, in other words, if one chooses to be paranoid, then let them. I am really not a paranoid guy, but just on a few subjects. PM me if you want to talk about this further as I have no intention of turning it into a OC versus CC event. There are enough of those.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Anyone could get upset with people being stupid and not paying the tax on that.
    My answer included the question "why do you ask?" that was ignored.
    The opportunity to educate and inform briefly was passed as irrelevant by the employee. Legally neutral if that is even possible my business was done and I left. Any attempt to clarify to the man how I may carry a gun legally and not be a LEO would have continued a non event and escalated this to a true confrontation of words. In front of a cop no less. This is not my place.
    50ish? man working minimum wage in a convenience store decides to screw with a guy because he carries a gun. I am honored to even pass a few words in interaction with such a high measure of maturity in a human.

Not a bad point TXGHO. He did cut you off at the pass.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    With all due respect to the OP, this thread without the OC/CC element, likens to driving a car without the keys. Without the keys, you aren't going anywhere. Without the OC, this thread doesn't exist.

Top Bottom