• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    It's my understanding that pre-1898 in not considered a firearm. So is there a law that keeps the felons from owning one?

How about the ammo? Can a felon own pre-1898 ammo?

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I might be wrong but Dukes of hazards was right. Bows and arrows? Part of my brain says convicted felons can own black powder firearms also?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Last I heard Blackpowder/ pre 98 were legal to own by anyone, A long time ago before I was legal to buy firearms a friend and I bought 36cal kits and built them so we both were carrying heat before we were able to carry firearms.

The law may have changed in the last couple years but I"m not aware of it

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Stir the pot!

The goal in this country is to make as many offenses a "Felony" to deprive the citizens of their rights.

The Anarchist in me asks: Maybe when you are a felon you can own anything? After all laws are for the law abiding.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Stir the pot!

The goal in this country is to make as many offenses a "Felony" to deprive the citizens of their rights.

Not trying to stir the pot, lol. But you have to ask questions in order to get answers, even if sometimes you don't like the answers.

Don't you find it strange that most of us don't know. I mean I ask about any other gun law and I'll get a quick to the point answer.
    But something as important as can the very felons we have armed ourshelves against be armed legally and we don't know this?

The Anarchist in me asks: Maybe when you are a felon you can own anything? After all laws are for the law abiding.

Good point.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Many variables

Yeah you can buy a firearm pre 1898 without paperwork as it is deemed a historic relic versus functioning weapon. HOWEVER this is a technicality. I would like to see some concicted felon with an old bolt action Mauser type rifle and ammunition telling his parole officer doing a home inspection, " uh yeah man, I know that looks like a rifle but it doesnt count cause its like real old and stuff" lol. You may beat it in court with an expensive attourney and even then I would bet a judge could go either way.

Colt began production of the "Colt .45" in 1873 and the early models are genuine wild west relics. That doesnt mean if I rob a bank with the pistol chambered in the still common .45 long colt that I wont get an ARMED ROBBERY charge. This is a technical iasue that I would bet weighs more on not having to know the history of a firearm sold when any man with money could legally buy one. Its hard to track down records for stolen property that was never registered to an original owner and sold over 130 years ago.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Yeah you can buy a firearm pre 1898 without paperwork as it is deemed a historic relic versus functioning weapon. HOWEVER this is a technicality. I would like to see some concicted felon with an old bolt action Mauser type rifle and ammunition telling his parole officer doing a home inspection, " uh yeah man, I know that looks like a rifle but it doesnt count cause its like real old and stuff" lol. You may beat it in court with an expensive attourney and even then I would bet a judge could go either way.

Colt began production of the "Colt .45" in 1873 and the early models are genuine wild west relics. That doesnt mean if I rob a bank with the pistol chambered in the still common .45 long colt that I wont get an ARMED ROBBERY charge. This is a technical iasue that I would bet weighs more on not having to know the history of a firearm sold when any man with money could legally buy one. Its hard to track down records for stolen property that was never registered to an original owner and sold over 130 years ago.

No offensive, but this doesn't really answer the question. I mean someone can run a car into a patrol car and get assult with a deadly weapon or beat some one with a large wooden spoon. In this case a car/spoon is considered a weapon it doesn't change the fact a felon can own either one.

I know technical pre-1898 is not considered a firearm and lets face it the laws if full of technicalities.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I have a friend who is a concicted felon , he thought he would just try and submitt the paper work for his ltch. (to see what happens) LMFAO, he got a visit from the men in black suits. They did thier jobs and wrecked his place looking for any weapons. The best part is how freaking dum that was, and he even admitts it.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I remember reading a story a couple years back about a hunter getting lost out in the woods. After a few days a helicopter found and picked him up. Turned out he was a felon and was hunting with a black powder rifle. In the state he originally started in it was legal for him but he had crossed state lines during his ordeal and the state he got picked up in it was not legal. I am thinking it all depends on state law. I am not familiar with what the law says in Indiana.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Im saying if a convicted felon is caught in possession of a pre 1898 fully functioning firearm like a singke action Colt .45 and ammunition he is going to jail. I stated he may beat the case in court with an expensive lawyer, but a judge can go either way. That law is not to allow fellons to only own antique guns, but to lessen the paper trail on a gun never registered in the first place.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Im saying if a convicted felon is caught in possession of a pre 1898 fully functioning firearm like a singke action Colt .45 and ammunition he is going to jail. I stated he may beat the case in court with an expensive lawyer, but a judge can go either way. That law is not to allow fellons to only own antique guns, but to lessen the paper trail on a gun never registered in the first place.

This. +1

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Like they said. Felons can own anything. I think a pre 1900 is no considered a firearms also. I think also replicas of said firearms also.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Kirk will give the correct answer when he gets more details I'm sure.

It is my understanding that federal law does NOT classify black powder/muzzle loading guns as "firearms", however many states have a different classification. I explored this option once when attempting to circumvent a company policy about firearms in my truck. I thought a BP side by side would be fun;) Unfortunately that carrier was based in NJ and they consider rubberbands firearms and don't even mention hollow points there or you'll get locked up...they register ammo purchases, WTF?

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I know pre-1989 is not considered a firearm. I can see where the goverment doesn't want felons to own one either. But if it's not a firearm and the law only states felons cannot own firearms, there has to be somethere written stating that felons can't own firearms or C&R's either or there's a loop hole.
    This is the loop hole that allows felons to own black powder in some states.

Top Bottom