• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    are Mosins really that fun of a rifle? have i been missing out for years now?

Yep, they are fun, although the comments are funny, some are pretty close to the truth! I have 6 or 7 Mosin's, recoil is mean, particularly due to the length of the short stock. I have purchased a few of the "add on butt pads" to replace the steel plate, extends the stock about 1 1/4" and is rubber - helps a bunch. Like my AK too, have a few SK's - they are a little more accurate. Got a couple AR lowers, haven't built them up yet - don't really care for the 5.56 so probably will build uppers in larger calibers. Do have an LR- 308 - really like it.

You should pick up a Mosin, can't beat them for the price. Son and I have a fairly large collection of firearms, if I had to rate them on reliability, think the Mosin's would top the list. They were designed for Russian peasants to use, men with zero firearm knowledge, they require almost no maintenance and unless ran over by a Heavy tank, are pretty much indestructible! Pretty powerful round - near a 30-06, fairly accurate - probably average a couple of MOA, ammo has increased in price (what hasn't) but still fairly cheap for Hi-power round.

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    If you don't have a Mosin, you should definitely get one. They are fun to shoot, cheap, and a very robust. And if stuff hits the fan, they can be used as a fairly decent combat rifle if your main battle rifle goes down.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Yep, they are fun, although the comments are funny, some are pretty close to the truth! I have 6 or 7 Mosin's, recoil is mean, particularly due to the length of the short stock. I have purchased a few of the "add on butt pads" to replace the steel plate, extends the stock about 1 1/4" and is rubber - helps a bunch. Like my AK too, have a few SK's - they are a little more accurate. Got a couple AR lowers, haven't built them up yet - don't really care for the 5.56 so probably will build uppers in larger calibers. Do have an LR- 308 - really like it.

You should pick up a Mosin, can't beat them for the price. Son and I have a fairly large collection of firearms, if I had to rate them on reliability, think the Mosin's would top the list. They were designed for Russian peasants to use, men with zero firearm knowledge, they require almost no maintenance and unless ran over by a Heavy tank, are pretty much indestructible! Pretty powerful round - near a 30-06, fairly accurate - probably average a couple of MOA, ammo has increased in price (what hasn't) but still fairly cheap for Hi-power round.

Even then you will probably only need to maintenance the tank tread...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    are Mosins really that fun of a rifle? have i been missing out for years now?

No more fun than any other bolt action. Less generally, because of all the various issues you run into.

Considering what they cost now, might as well just grab a savage axis. They made some sense when they were under $100.

7.62x54r isn't a very potent round in milsurp loadings, it's generally much less powerful than even a 308 from an equal barrel length. Although, as with anything, if you want to take the time to load for the round and work up a load for your rifle, you can get decent performance from it.

i read its a pain to put a scope on them. are they worth mounting a scope or just iron sight beat stick?

Complete waste of money. Buy it for what it is or buy something suited to your needs.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Don't listen to the guy above me.....7.62x54R is .303 power level. 147 gr. bullet at 2600 FPS is plenty potent for any human/deer size target. You can still find decent guns for under $200. I picked up a cherry M44 carbine 2 weeks ago for $175.
    If the round wasn't any good, I don't think the entire Russian Armed Forces would have used it in everything from battle rifles to sniper rifles to machine guns for over 100 years!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Don't listen to the guy above me.....7.62x54R is .303 power level. 147 gr. bullet at 2600 FPS is plenty potent for any human/deer size target. You can still find decent guns for under $200. I picked up a cherry M44 carbine 2 weeks ago for $175.
    If the round wasn't any good, I don't think the entire Russian Armed Forces would have used it in everything from battle rifles to sniper rifles to machine guns for over 100 years!

Didn't say the round was bad. It's just not very efficient without an extremely long barrel. It's 100+ years old, exactly lol.

A 308 with an 18" barrel will push a 147gr bullet that hard, and it is a smaller round.

Top Bottom