Open or concealed carrying interaction with LEOS? any body want to add on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Back in the day when I first got my licence it wasn't an issue because I concealed carried. Now that I'm renewing my licence to lifetime and I'm getting older and fatter... lol, I realy don't want do deal with the hassle of concealed carry. I'd rather just throw a holster on my belt and go. So I started looking online trying to find info about current laws and how and what police are legally allowed to do and what info I'm legally required to provide during contact. Which was a pain in the butt because a lot of the answers to the questions I had were scattered all over the place so I decided to condense them into one handout. That I could give to a LEO for later reading. And to inform other individuals that have decided to carry as well. Just to give you my mindset and where I'm coming from I would like to layout a few points first so I don't get labeled as a gun nut.

1. I feel that whether being a LEO or a ordinary citizen both should be versed in the law.
    2. When a person decides to become a LEO they should expect to be held to a higher standard and know the laws they are enforcing inside and out.
    3. We as ordinary citizens should exercise our freedoms and liberties continuesly, because a freedom not exercised is a freedom lost.
    4. And a firm belief in, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." And that goes for LEOS as well.

Would anybody else like to chime in?

Attachments

• Police Handout.pdf
      639.7 KB · Views: 159

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Somebody send up the Freeman Signal.....(It's a light in the shape of William "Tecumseh" Sherman strangling a Confederate while applying a Zippo lighter to an sharecroppers shack in Georgia....)...It's really awesome....I was down in Kentucky one weekend and saw it in the sky....The horses began fleeing their barns...I don't know where they keep the light in Indiana but in Kentucky it's at Major Anderson's (USA) "My Old Kentucky Home" historical site...Irony is that the most famous slave song in US history was written at the Union officer's home who defended Fort Sumpter from the CSA....Written by an Ohio native no less.....

To the OP's original inquiry thank you for bringing this topic up...INGO has never had a discussion about this topic.....Ever...Welcome to the forum...:)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Welcome to INGO.

Indiana is different than most other states in that it is a crime here to carry a handgun. Many of your summary assumptions are based upon mere carry not being a crime, as it should be.

Indiana codified the License To Carry Handgun (LTCH, or Larry) as an exception to the crime of carrying a handgun. Further, the burden of proving this exception was placed upon the carrier.

So, we can't rely on just principles here - our laws are not just.

Your summaries would apply well to carrying other firearms (rifles, shotguns, etc.) where not specifically forbidden, but not handguns.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    During an encounter with police is not, IMHO, the moment to educate the officer on everything he is doing wrong. The less said, the better. If rights are violated, rather than escalating the situation, be compliant and let your lawyer sort it out.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    During an encounter with police is not, IMHO, the moment to educate the officer on everything he is doing wrong. The less said, the better. If rights are violated, rather than escalating the situation, be compliant and let your lawyer sort it out.
    This has served me since I got smart and grew up a bit. I carry openly and have yet to have any LEO give me a hard time though I carry a handgn. Unless it is some sort of "Event" I am not likely to even desire to carry a long gun.

That said, in a perfect world you would be right in your assertions but it really is a far from ideal world. In any case a recording from your cell can help when you get to court too so if you must be absolutely right all the time, make certain you are and always record the roceedings.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Making it out of a situation with as little hassle as possible, or even alive and uninjured has little to do with who it right on the law at the moment the encounter is going on.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Welcome to the forum BADWOLF. Great first post. This is a subject discussed A LOT around here. With 37K+ members, you'll find people on both sides of all issues. Any combination of Glock/Sig/1911/Colt/S&W/Beretta/H&K/0, 1 or 2 spare mags/revolvers/BUG or no BUG/2 BUGs/OC/CC and you will get a discussion.

Don't even get us started on 9mm vice .45.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Alright, one Rosa Parks moment in Broad Ripple does not frickin' make me Batman. Relax, would ya.

Why do you maintain this charade Mr. Wayne????? But seriously if you don't want to do it anymore can I have your utility belt and that awesome Catwoman poster hanging in your cave????? You know...The one of Ms. Kitt....:)

quotes-1.jpg

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    BADWOLF, welcome! If you put out a pamphlet on the law, you might put a lot of attorneys out of work. They make a living interpreting the law, putting up smoke screens and dragging things through the legal process. I would sure hate to see one holding a sign at my next exit saying, "Will litigate for food!"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why do you maintain this charade Mr. Wayne????? But seriously if you don't want to do it anymore can I have your utility belt and that awesome Catwoman poster hanging in your cave????? You know...The one of Ms. Kitt....:)

Don't get all weird, we have new guests here. Behave.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Welcome to the forum BADWOLF. Great first post. This is a subject discussed A LOT around here. With 37K+ members, you'll find people on both sides of all issues. Any combination of Glock/Sig/1911/Colt/S&W/Beretta/H&K/0, 1 or 2 spare mags/revolvers/BUG or no BUG/2 BUGs/OC/CC and you will get a discussion.

Don't even get us started on 9mm vice .45.

Meh, I'm not even sure why this is a topic. I have on good authority, the lifetime ltch is going to be abolished.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Looks like the handout need to be updated to include Ohio accepting all other permits and licenses.

5/12/2015 – Ohio accepts all other resident and non-resident permits and licenses. [source]

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Just had a Vigo Deputy who told me they were getting rid of the lifetime permit too... :):

He got a ball from a Jroger Shopper who said "A guy is in here causing trouble and waving a gun around". He spoke with the employees who mostly know me and they said they sure had never had trouble with me. Checked my permit and license (which apparently said I didn't have a permit) and then we joked a bit and he left. I found the garbage bags and checked out and left myself. I know which shopper it was too, a little barley 18 yr old kid with a child at home. Kid looked like he had pees himself once he saw my open carry 9E Ruger too. Whatever, I wasn't scared as I don't do what he said I was doing and I know most of these emploiees as it is very close to my house and my regular place for groceries. :)

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Bad, please understand that by carrying a handgun, one is committing a crime in Indiana. The Larry is only a defense.

OK, newbie alert...

Is this true? It is illegal to carry a handgun in Indiana? Maybe some links to some threads around here would be great, but I will also try to search. This has never been my understanding from what I have read previously. (I believe you, I just guess that this shocks me a bit.) I have always heard that the law is silent on this count.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    OK, newbie alert...

Is this true? It is illegal to carry a handgun in Indiana? Maybe some links to some threads around here would be great, but I will also try to search. This has never been my understanding from what I have read previously. (I believe you, I just guess that this shocks me a bit.) I have always heard that the law is silent on this count.

Definitely illegal. This state needs constitutional carry.

Top Bottom