Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

What Constitutes a "Low Ball" Offer?

A respected moderator recently made this comment on a thread.

"Some folks are just compelled to get that extra $10 knocked off the price. It is a win for them.
    If I see something I want and agree with the posted price I will respond I will take it and then work out the details.
    A few times I have made offers but never ridiculous low balls."

The good gentleman referred to "ridiculous low balls." My question: What constitutes "ridiculous low balls"?

Is it a percentage of the asking price? Is it based on what the item sells for new? Does it include the cost of shipping?

If I ask $300 + shipping and someone replies "I'll give you $150+$40 shipping. You can keep the accessories and sell them separately for additional cash", is that low balling?

Just curious. How does determine at what point one can be insulted over an offer and call it "low ball"?
    A man's got to do what a man's got to do. John Wayne

Unpossible to determine.
    Everyone's panties don't bunch up at the same time, or to the same degree.

"One mans trash is another mans treasure"

Perception is almost impossible to qualify.
    NRA Instructor/Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    Unpossible to determine.
    Everyone's panties don't bunch up at the same time, or to the same degree.

"One mans trash is another mans treasure"

Perception is almost impossible to qualify.
    Agree with Mgderf. Some guys will list a Gen 3 Glock (that sells at the LGS for $495) for $550 and thinks an offer of $500 is lowballing him.

Master
    Rule of Selling/Buying: If you are selling, the buyer wants to screw you. If you are buying, the seller wants to screw you. If both parties walk away feeling like they screwed the other guy, a successful deal has been made.

Now that's not everyone, certainly not you or I...but mainly pertains to those other guys. I say this all tongue in cheek but it's a fact of life in too many cases.

I rarely ever sell anything here, and haven't bought anything here in ages but if I was selling an item I would at least check the other sites and see what it's been selling for and then price accordingly. We all want to get the best deal we can.....whether selling or buying. Some of us are way too sensitive about our pricing and are easily offended when someone asks for a lower price...fact of life. If the offer is not to your liking, just say thanks but no thanks and move on. That goes both ways.

To me, a low ball offer is one where it's a purely ridiculous discount request. Here's a few examples from my adventures:

Listed a Glock 19 second generation on a site, two mags, box, normal sights, excellent condition, only 500 rounds fired, no marks. Listed for $380. Fella emails me, "Would you take $300 for it?". Let's look at this: I am selling a used Glock for approximately 15% less than what a gunstore would have for some clapped out, worn to crap model, a highly desirable model to boot. Given our market in Indy, $380 was a great price (I got it for less than that in trade from a friend, but that's for me to worry about).

Listed a Rock Island 1911, GI model, .45, all factory, but no box. About 300 rounds fired, came with two magazines and a leather Tagua OWB holster. I wanted $350. "Would you take $280 for it?" Sorry no. Again, a store has them new for $450, used probably would hover around $380. I countered with that one, "I would take $320..." as it had no real bites. Guy told me I was too high. I sold the gun for my asking price an hour after his tirade.

Some folks want a win and they think that haggling works in metro areas, where it doesn't. The price is there and if its a good price, why risk possibly making the owner disregard your chance at a good deal? Some people just want to haggle so they feel like they have command of the situation. I'm in industrial sales and there is a psychology to selling and buying. On a microeconomic scale, a personality can affect how someone acts during a sale.

Lowball offers, in my mind, are typically ones where someone is trying to haggle, but doesn't do it right, hoping that going VERY low to meet in a really weird median is good business acumen. Offer what you are actually willing to pay. Many people sell firearms as a method to get out of a quick debt situation (medical bills, car repair, divorce...) and there are enough deal seekers that have encountered these folks. Throws them out of their ooda loop when you stick to your price... lol
    It's over for now... it seems... until yesterday begins again...tomorrow...

Everyone is different. Im like the mod in the respect I either buy it, or I dont., but I don't have time for negation either. When I sell, I ask a fair price, when I buy its either a fair price, or I dont contact the seller.

For me Lowball is anything over 10% of the asking price.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Ahhh....... The art of doing a deal. To me Low Balling is if you have a $300 dollar item listed, and the price is fair. Then someone offers you $200, that to me is a low ball offer.
    I think it is different for everyone. It seems like everyone prices stuff a little bit differently. Sometimes I sell stuff, to buy other stuff. Sometimes I sell just to clear out some items for better storage and to raise a little cash, to buy other stuff.

This was the case when I listed and sold this: FDE PMAG and Troy Sling FTF in Indy
    I don't have anything in FDE, I know it's popular, so I bundled those two items, the sling alone was worth the $40 dollars, and someone on here realized it.
    I do think there are several people on here that want something for nothing. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Test for Echo

I also agree with what has been said so far. Though to me a successful deal is one in which BOTH parties are happy. I want my buyers to be happy with the purchase but maybe that is because I am in sales as a profession and I want either another sale to that buyer or a good referral.

As far as what constitutes a low ball offer for me it is an offer that is significantly below the actual value of the item. If I have a pistol that is selling everywhere for north of $950 and someone offers me $600, I will consider that a lowball offer.

For the record I don't counter low ball offers either. I counter offers that are reasonable based on the true market value of the item. You probably will be able to buy it from me for under market value, but not so much that you could flip it the next day and make 30% on it.

I am not a wholesaler.

I don't get butt hurt. I better not after 30+ years being in sales.
    If an undertaking was easy, someone else would have already done it.

There is no inherent morality in offering a low price, or listing something high. Maybe a little annoying, but everyone is free to reject an offer or ignore a listing. I don't feel the need to view every listing or offer as a competition between the potential seller and buyer.
    "I was unarmed except for my wits...so I was unarmed."

I listed a few guns recently for fair market value. One in particular was $400 for a $600 package. Guy messaged me and said he could buy it at RK for 299, so he'd give me 225. Uh, no.

That's why I hate HATE selling firearms. People want to buy your stuff for next to nothing.

Stay safe,

Brett Havlin

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast