• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have made some incredibly low offers on items in my many dealings in life. Many of which have surprised the heck out of me when they were accepted.

I was about 11 years old and was selling fryer rabbits to my dads buddies. My dad worked at a slaughterhouse house in Muncie that closed in the 70's, so I has a great mentor on how to use a knife.

My business was growing faster than I could raise them. My dad told me that he knew a guy that had a bunch of young rabbits for sale. We went to go look at them.

The guy had 40 rabbits for sale and was asking $1.50 each for them. I think I was getting $3.00 each for a dressed out fryer rabbit.

I asked Dad if he would loan me the money if I bought them all. Dad said he would loan me the money.
    I asked my Dad to offer him $1.00 each if we took them all. Dad said "nope you go ask him"

I walked over and offered him the buck a piece for the 40 rabbits. The guy said "Nah I can't go that low, I'd do $1.25 if you take them all. I looked at my Dad and said "Let's go home" as I was getting in the truck.

The guy was scratching his head as I walked away. Just as Dad started the truck the ole guy said "Hey hold on a minute, you will take em all for a buck a piece?" I said yes Sir.

We loaded all 40 rabbits in the back of the truck and I paid the man. I knew I was going to have to feed the rabbits and take care of them for a week or two before they were ready to butcher so I felt my offer was fair. Plus it was a substantial investment.

As I stated in another thread, I don't get emotionally attached to negotiations.

When I see "Low ball offers will be ignored" I just pass on by because I feel they are already too emotionally attached.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    The amateurs that post "lowball offers will be ignored" are the same people who want to tell you what they paid for each accessory on the gun. "PSA lower: $39.95....Magpul rail covers: $12, tmbzed pins: $2.58 + shipping $8.59. Total: $1285.74... will take $1150." They'll probably also message you back with an explanation of their perceived slight. "I paid over $1250 for this thing and I had to wait 12 weeks for all the parts to arrive. Then, my mom called me up for meatloaf TWICE while I was assembling it. There's no way I'm going to sell it to you for $450. Even if I DO get to keep the YHM gas block I custom installed."

They're either that guy or the old man who really is going to ignore your lowball offer because he has more money than he knows what to do with. "I'll just put it back in the safe."

As many others have said in this thread - offer what you want. This is Murica. Capitalism always wins.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have made some incredibly low offers on items in my many dealings in life. Many of which have surprised the heck out of me when they were accepted.

I was about 11 years old and was selling fryer rabbits to my dads buddies. My dad worked at a slaughterhouse house in Muncie that closed in the 70's, so I has a great mentor on how to use a knife.

My business was growing faster than I could raise them. My dad told me that he knew a guy that had a bunch of young rabbits for sale. We went to go look at them.

The guy had 40 rabbits for sale and was asking $1.50 each for them. I think I was getting $3.00 each for a dressed out fryer rabbit.

I asked Dad if he would loan me the money if I bought them all. Dad said he would loan me the money.
    I asked my Dad to offer him $1.00 each if we took them all. Dad said "nope you go ask him"

I walked over and offered him the buck a piece for the 40 rabbits. The guy said "Nah I can't go that low, I'd do $1.25 if you take them all. I looked at my Dad and said "Let's go home" as I was getting in the truck.

The guy was scratching his head as I walked away. Just as Dad started the truck the ole guy said "Hey hold on a minute, you will take em all for a buck a piece?" I said yes Sir.

We loaded all 40 rabbits in the back of the truck and I paid the man. I knew I was going to have to feed the rabbits and take care of them for a week or two before they were ready to butcher so I felt my offer was fair. Plus it was a substantial investment.

As I stated in another thread, I don't get emotionally attached to negotiations.

When I see "Low ball offers will be ignored" I just pass on by because I feel they are already too emotionally attached.

That brings up a very good point. Is it still the dreaded "low ball" if an offer is made on an item that is obviously not selling after weeks listed? A week listed, bumped everyday?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That brings up a very good point. Is it still the dreaded "low ball" if an offer is made on an item that is obviously not selling after weeks listed? A week listed, bumped everyday?

That is a fair statement BW. I'm interested to see the replies to this.

Its like doggie bags in the fridge. We have a 24 hour rule in my house. Even if yo name on it, if it's still there after 24 hrs then it's fair game.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To me, a lowball offer is OK. I am free to take it or leave it. Years ago I was trying to sell an RV. After many months of advertising nationwide a guy came out to look at it. I wanted $26K, he said he would go $23K. I could have played games but really wanted to get rid of it and he was my first nibble. I let him have it. It helped that he was a likable guy.

To me a lowball would be $16K when the RV was worth $23K.

In my eyes, lowball is not a simple "can I save a few bucks and knock him down a bit?" but instead "I'll offer him less than the item is realistically worth in hopes he is desperate to move it." Offering $450 on that listed $500 Glock is not a lowball. $300 is as the Glock is OBVIOUSLY worth more than that.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    To me a lowball would be $16K when the RV was worth $23K.

In my eyes, lowball is not a simple "can I save a few bucks and knock him down a bit?" but instead "I'll offer him less than the item is realistically worth in hopes he is desperate to move it." Offering $450 on that listed $500 Glock is not a lowball. $300 is as the Glock is OBVIOUSLY worth more than that.

I a $400 limit on a used Glock.
    Palmetto had brand new Gen3 G23's on sale for $399

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I don't think $300 on a $500 is a lowball. I would ignore the $#!t out of it if it was offered to me but that's a legitimate offer and there are plenty of people who've sat on offers like that for a few days then jumped on them for whatever reason.

Lowball is offering $20 bucks, a bag of weed, and a couple playstation games. Oh, and you have to come pick it up because my car doesn't exist.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Lowball is offering $20 bucks, a bag of weed, and a couple playstation games. Oh, and you have to come pick it up because my car doesn't exist.

Dude I sent you that offer in a private PM. Now your just telling the whole world about it.
    I can't make that great offer to everyone :ugh:

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think the term lowball = unreasonable offer.

That brings us to the point that the seller is determining value and what is "low ball." If their value is artificial, for whatever reason, then "low ball" is artificial also. Value is what you can get someone to pay and sometimes it's less than expected. Contrary to the much used phrase "Guns are a good investment that hold their value," that is not always the case.

I've sold a fair handful of stuff in the classy's, but I've bought a whole lot more. Often, "I'll take it," on items before someone else does. That and drive most or all the way to the seller for their good deal.

Just as often, I've let items ride to see if the seller will drop the price or maybe accept an offer. I try to be as friendly and polite as possible on offers. Some you never hear back from, some get peeved, some ask when/where we can meet.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    well, what I hate are those who PM me asking what my lowest price is...
    Well, my lowest price is listed in the ad,when I say make me an offer,

YOU are supposed to tell ME what you will give then we can haggle.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'll say this, lowballing sometimes works. I've lowballed on "make an offer" on eBay with some success. But I wouldn't do it here because the odds of the seller ignoring me (now and in the future) are much higher.

ill be the first to admit that low ballers can be pretty annoying though- especially the ones who pretend like their offer isn't a lowball.

equally annoying are the sellers who say Obo but won't hardly budge. Case in point, I saw an item on eBay for $75.99. Totally worth the asking price but there was the option to make an offer. I offered $50. Seller countered with $73.99. =\

if $2 is the best you can do, don't allow me to make an offer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I recently bought a rifle here on INGO. It was very fairly priced but had been up for sale for a couple of months (frankly I was surprised it hadn't sold), so I asked the seller if he would consider an offer of (10% below his asking price). He politely said he really couldn't (and he didn't have OBO in the ad). I said, "Fair enough. I just had to ask. :) I'll take it at your asking price." No hard feelings, he sold his rifle, and I got it for a price I was happy with. But like I said, I had to ask. You never know unless you ask. That's the way offers should be responded to IMHO, even the lowball ones. As has been said, it only takes a few seconds to type "Sorry, but no thanks." and post the reply.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently bought a rifle here on INGO. It was very fairly priced but had been up for sale for a couple of months (frankly I was surprised it hadn't sold), so I asked the seller if he would consider an offer of (10% below his asking price). He politely said he really couldn't (and he didn't have OBO in the ad). I said, "Fair enough. I just had to ask. :) I'll take it at your asking price." No hard feelings, he sold his rifle, and I got it for a price I was happy with. But like I said, I had to ask. You never know unless you ask. That's the way offers should be responded to IMHO, even the lowball ones. As has been said, it only takes a few seconds to type "Sorry, but no thanks." and post the reply.

True for the most part.
    $200 under asking is to me just not even an offer regardless.
    And it is so much more fun to type this guy.....:rofl:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If I'm well below what the product is worth, but it's all I have to spend I just say that. At least the seller knows I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm not trying to say the price is unreasonable, just give him/her options should they really need to move it. I have what I have.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Most people who have been on here for a while understand the market value of guns. You have GunWatcher to price new guns and there are various sites like GunBroker to research what used guns are selling for. If you are offering far below the market value (and the price listed in the ad), I consider that a low ball offer. That said, some sellers need to better understand market value as well. It doesn't matter if you paid $600 for a gun at a LGS, if the price of that gun new can be found online for $450, you're going to have a tough time selling it for $500.

The amateurs that post "lowball offers will be ignored" are the same people who want to tell you what they paid for each accessory on the gun. "PSA lower: $39.95....Magpul rail covers: $12, tmbzed pins: $2.58 + shipping $8.59. Total: $1285.74... will take $1150." They'll probably also message you back with an explanation of their perceived slight. "I paid over $1250 for this thing and I had to wait 12 weeks for all the parts to arrive. Then, my mom called me up for meatloaf TWICE while I was assembling it. There's no way I'm going to sell it to you for $450. Even if I DO get to keep the YHM gas block I custom installed."

They're either that guy or the old man who really is going to ignore your lowball offer because he has more money than he knows what to do with. "I'll just put it back in the safe."

As many others have said in this thread - offer what you want. This is Murica. Capitalism always wins.

I don't view those doing that as amateurs. Some add on parts are fairly obscure and the true cost/value is not often widely known. Same for some guns themselves. Also, there are a lot of people on the forums who know certain guns well, but maybe not others, so listing some values isn't the mark of an amateur, just someone trying to show the actual cost and you as the buyer have to determine how that affects the value. Now, what does get me is people listing each and every part going into the gun and then expecting full cost when pricing the gun. I'm not paying full price for the accessories, but listing the price at least gives me an idea of where to start assessing how valuable it might be to me.

That is a fair statement BW. I'm interested to see the replies to this.

Its like doggie bags in the fridge. We have a 24 hour rule in my house. Even if yo name on it, if it's still there after 24 hrs then it's fair game.

I think it depends highly on what is being sold. If you're selling something common that you see bought and sold on an almost daily basis (Glocks for example), then you probably have your price wrong. If it's an obscure model, or something that is a higher priced gun, it might take a while to sell. If you keep bumping your 3 year old Glock 19 that is bone stock, but you want $500, you should probably take a hint... :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    "PSA lower: $39.95....Magpul rail covers: $12, tmbzed pins: $2.58 + shipping $8.59. Total: $1285.74... will take $1150." They'll probably also message you back with an explanation of their perceived slight. "I paid over $1250 for this thing and I had to wait 12 weeks for all the parts to arrive. Then, my mom called me up for meatloaf TWICE while I was assembling it. There's no way I'm going to sell it to you for $450. Even if I DO get to keep the YHM gas block I custom installed."

Sorry Slim.:)

Guilty. I did that with my Sig. I didn't really think of myself as an amateur. I looked at that I was providing some costing for a buyer so they could see what it would cost them to assemble the same set-up.

I guess being in automotive OE sales influences my personal sales. In my line of sales I have to disclose by line item every cost. Materials, labor, profit, SG&A, tooling, etc.:):

Top Bottom